NFC SIM Card

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

NFC SIM Card

NFC SIM Card

harry424
I'm a Participant Level 1

NFC SIM Card

I just upgraded my iphone 5 to galaxy s6edge because i thought samsung devices support nfc. But later i came to know about fido doesnèt support NFC.

I cant explain that how frustrated I am.

When is fido getting NFC SIM cards

4 REPLIES 4
FidoMatt
Former Moderator

i Harry, 

We unfortunately cannot comment on a product that we have not announced yet. Keep an eye here to see when they will be available. 

junaaaas
I'm a Participant Level 3

they will never be avaiable with FIDO as this is something customer has been asked for years and years but always same answer. 'keep an eye'. i've been waiting for at least a year and still no sign of changing nor any progress on it. Just unlock your phone and swtich to different carrier. 

Meetzman
I'm a Participant Level 1

Bell and Telus, along with Rogers offer them. With the exception of Rogers, even the flanker brands have NFC sim cards. Such a '90s solution. Host card emulation (HCE) mobile payment services are the way, as RBC is showing us. 

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Honest question: what's the point of NFC payment?

I've read all I can, seen videos, and I still can't figure out what the advantage might be. You need to pull your phone out, unlock it, start the app, unlock the payment, tap your phone.

It's faster to pull out your wallet, pick your credit card and tap it.

Since it's only for limited amounts, you still need to carry your credit card anyway in case you exceed that amount.

So I can't find a case where I'd want to use it, other than "hey, I paid with my phone!".