NEXUS S

NEXUS S

NEXUS S

5s
I'm a Contributor Level 2

NEXUS S

Ported over from Koodo with 5s and Motto G3.

I also have a Nexus S that i would like to use during working hours.  I've inserted my nano card into the adapter and then into the nexus s but the phone won't read the sim card.

Does FIDO support the Nexus S?

Do I need a new SIM card?

Do I need to manually input FIDO APN into Nexus S and if so, could you sent me the input settings please?

11 REPLIES 11
5s

I I putted the info, but it won't let me save. Instead it wants more info. So re entered the info and pressed home button.

Then the phone gave me "REGISTER ON NETWORK" which I did not have before, I entered your info.

Then I called my wife's phone and got "MOBILE NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE"

Went back to APN settings. Info I entered was still there, although I did not save it. I tapped automatically seek, which gave me "NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME"

@5s wrote:
I I putted the info, but it won't let me save. Instead it wants more info. So re entered the info and pressed home button.

Then the phone gave me "REGISTER ON NETWORK" which I did not have before, I entered your info.

Then I called my wife's phone and got "MOBILE NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE"

Went back to APN settings. Info I entered was still there, although I did not save it. I tapped automatically seek, which gave me "NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME"

Hello,

What additional information was it asking for? Also, have you tried restarting your phone after entering the new APNs?

Also, as @FidoRanya mentioned, it might be worthwhile trying a different SIM -- even try borrowing one from someone. The adapter might not be allowing the SIM to properly make contact with the phone.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey 5s,

What other info did it ask you for ? Can you delete the Settings and start over again ?

It would also be a good option to try out a new SIM card, without the adapter just to rule out that it's not the issue. 

Let me know what happens. Smiley

5s

So i had to remove battery to get SIM card (with adapter) into slot. Having done this the APN info that i entered was wipped clean.

I re-entered the APN info, but it will not save unless i enter NAME. I do not know what to enter.  That was yesturday.

Today I re-entered the APN info, but it will not save unless I enter MCC field 3 digits.

so i need a name and i need 3digets to enter in the MCC field.

Also tommorow, i will drive to Fido and try a different SIM card and see if that works.

thank you

@5s wrote:

I re-entered the APN info, but it will not save unless i enter NAME. I do not know what to enter.  That was yesturday.

Today I re-entered the APN info, but it will not save unless I enter MCC field 3 digits.

so i need a name and i need 3digets to enter in the MCC field.

Also tommorow, i will drive to Fido and try a different SIM card and see if that works.

thank you

Hello again,

Apologies for the oversight. The MCC is usually automatically set. The mobile country code (MCC) is 302 and the mobile network code (MNC) is 370.

Name: fido internet
APN: fido-core-appl1.apn
Proxy:  <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password:  <not set>
Server:  <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS proxy: <not set>
MMS port: <not set>
MCC: 302
MNC: 370
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default or internet
APN Protocol: IPv4 or default

Name: fido mms
APN: mms.fido.ca
Proxy:  <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password:  <not set>
Server:  <not set>
MMSChttp://mms.fido.ca
MMS proxy: 205.151.11.13
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 370
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: mms
APN Protocol: IPv4 or default

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

5s

UPDATE -

Went to Fido today and replaced NANO SIM CARD. The Fido Rep did what he could to get the Nexus S and running, but to no avail.

under AVAILABLE NETWORKS I  have 302610 (which i believe is Fido), 302220 (which came up as Bell for a split second) and Can Rogers Wireless Inc.

I was hopping that entering Fido APN would make a difference, but it did not.    I also realized the the ORIGINAL SIM card is not only alot larger than the nano card, it also contains alot more contact metal, than the nano sim card, which equals more contact with the phone.

Thank You Everyone, for all your help!  

Hello again,

Just to double-check, is the phone unlocked? I can't think of any other reason why it's not working for you...

Hope someone else can suggest a solution. Best of luck! Smiley

Cheers

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey @5s

You can find all the APNs details over here.

When it comes to name, you can simply note it Fido Internet.

5s

Mashafan:

yes it is the model you said. And I have been trying to get up and running, with my Fido nano card in the adapter in attempts to date.

Question. The wifi on nexus s works. Should I put my card into nexus s then go into the link that you provided?
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@5s wrote:

Ported over from Koodo with 5s and Motto G3.

I also have a Nexus S that i would like to use during working hours.  I've inserted my nano card into the adapter and then into the nexus s but the phone won't read the sim card.

Does FIDO support the Nexus S?

Do I need a new SIM card?

Do I need to manually input FIDO APN into Nexus S and if so, could you sent me the input settings please?

Hello 5s,

Is this phone the one you're referring to? If it is, then that phone would have both of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. Unfortunately, there are no compatible '3G' bands/frequencies on that phone. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

Since the phone is not capable of LTE, it should be using the two APNs, one for internet and the other for MMS.

• APN Settings:

• APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn

MMS (Picture & Video Messaging Settings):

• Leave the following fields blank: Proxy, Port, User Name, Password, Server

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mashafan
I'm a Participant Level 1

There are different models of this phone. Fido used to carry this phone, but with different frequency bands. You may want to check the model number (I think it's on the phone when you remove the battery, there should be a sticker? It may also be on the box).

This one is the Canadian version. i9020a http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_nexus_s_i9020a-3920.php

If you've previously used it with Koodo, it will work, but you need a different SIM (mini-SIM sometimes referred to as 'full-size'), or SIM card adapter.