My zte axon no longer picks up my home wifi. Every other device does except my phone. Not happy.

My zte axon no longer picks up my home wifi. Every other device does except my phone. Not happy.

sher1
I'm a Participant Level 3

Ive had the zte for about 3 months,but  the last few weeks it has been unable to connect to my home wifi.Every other device (apple,samsung) can connect immediately, when it finally shows up on my saved wifis,it either says saved or wifi connection failure. Ive checked my settings on my phone,turned it off and on,restarted,rebooted my router,changed my name and password on router,whatever I can think of.Its becoming a problem because Ive had to use data and Im at 90% and still have 3 weeks to go. I need some help. Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
Kgodz
I'm a Participant Level 1

My boyfriend and I have the same phone and we are both having this problem. He had factory reset his phone and these problems are still happening. He has had them for a couple of weeks and mine had just started this past weekend. It's very frustrating. It won't connrct st home, school or any public wifi networks. We've both had these phone for less than a year I believe.

Hey @Kgodz and welcome to the Community.

That's odd.

Did you get a chance to reboot the device to see if you have a better result?

And all your other devices can connect to WI-FI without a problem?

Maaro

Hi,

I have had my ZTE since february and recently I discovered the same problem. I used to be able to connect to my WiFi at work with no issue, now I have to put the phone in the room with the router just to be able to maintain connectivity. It has become quite frustrating as I have brought it back to fido and it was sent off to be repaired. The phone came back saying that it was repaired but the problem still persists.

I definitely need some help as it relates to the direction I should take in order to get some recourse.

@Maaro wrote:

Hi,

I have had my ZTE since february and recently I discovered the same problem. I used to be able to connect to my WiFi at work with no issue, now I have to put the phone in the room with the router just to be able to maintain connectivity. It has become quite frustrating as I have brought it back to fido and it was sent off to be repaired. The phone came back saying that it was repaired but the problem still persists.

I definitely need some help as it relates to the direction I should take in order to get some recourse.

Try disabling the Smart Network Switch in your WiFi settings and see if that helps.

Maaro

Hi guys,

Thanks for your quick responses. I have the same problem when I am at home, however, its not as big a problem at home because the router is in the living room as opposed to my office's router being locked away.

Thanks for your suggestion Kapable....where would I find that setting in the ZTE Axon.

Thanks,

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

@Maaro it should be these following steps:

On the home screen, tap the Apps icon. > Tap Settings >Tap Wi-Fi >Tap MORE. >Tap Smart network switch. >Tap On or Off to enable or disable as required.

Hope this helps! Smiley

Maaro

Thanks for your response guys however, I have combed every option in the settings menu....especially the WiFi options. There is no "smart network switch" option in the ZTE Axon apparently.

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Sorry @Maaro. I just checked and it seems that the ZTE Axon doesn't have the have that feature.

It could be an issue with the frequency bands as well. Did you have a try to check that out? Smiley

Maaro

Hi @FidoTerry

I haven't checked it,

How would I go about checking the frequency bands??

Thanks,

@Maaro wrote:

Hi @FidoTerry

I haven't checked it,

How would I go about checking the frequency bands??

Thanks,

Hello Maaro,

I don't think it would be an issue with the bands or frequencies of the phone. The bands/frequencies would only have to do with mobile reception and/or data. Wifi would be separate. 

Regardless, assuming you purchased your phone from Fido, it would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies.

Does the phone have Wifi-calling capabilities? If it does, have you tried to switch off that feature?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hello again,

@FidoTerry made a good point above that I initially overlooked. Depending on your location, there could be many Wifi signals potentially causing interference with each other -- especially if they are on the same channel. Additionally, many machines use the same frequency which could also provide some interference.

You might consider downloading a Wifi analyser app to determine the signals around you. If you have access to the router, you also might consider changing the channel to a lesser used one. 

Does your router/phone also use the 5 GHz frequency? It could help to bypass any interference. 

Cheers

FredP
I'm a Participant Level 1

Recently I have been having the same problem with my Axon. It will not connect reliably to any 2.4Ghz access point (mine or anywhere else I tried to connect). Fortunately 5GHz works fine at home and elsewhere. However, most places where I want to connect don't have 5Ghz. I have run a wifi analyzer and the channel (7) my 2.4GHz access point works on has very few other conflicting sources and they are at least down by 30dB. All other devices, laptops, tablets and other smart phones (Samsung, motog, iphones) all connect to my access point on 2.4GHz and operate very reliably. This is a pretty significant problem that didn't show up in the first 15 days after I got my Axon. Should I take it in for repair or can it get replaced?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @FredP

Thanks for reaching out about this Smiley , I get that it's definitely not ideal. If it's been over 15 days, you'll have to send the device for repair through a Fido store. You can find the participating locations right here

Hope this helps.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @Maaro!

Does this only happen with the WiFi at work, or with any WiFi connection?

FidoKenny

Hey @sher1 and welcome to the Community Smiley

Have you tried to forget the WI-FI network from you list and add it back?

I would also try a Factory reset of the phone, this might help Smiley

@Community : Anyone else has suggestions to help our friend here?

sher1

Thanks Kenny,Yes I have "forgotten" my network and re-added it,without making a differance. I really didnt want to factory reset if I dont have to. Also spoke to a Fido rep at the mall a week ago and he had no clue as to the problem

Hey @sher1

Just doing a quick followup with you.

Did you get a chance to find out what's the problem with your  WI-FI connection?

@sher1 Is this only happening with your phone?

I mean, do you have other devices that give you the same problem? Where you can't connect to that WI-FI connection?

Let me know Smiley

sher1

No,all other devices work fine in my home. Iphone and samsung have no problems.My kids phones and even visitors that come to my house can sign in without an issue. They find my wifi name and sign in right away.

FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Thanks for the details @sher1!

The next step will be to try a factory reset of your phone, make sure to backup all your information before doing that. 

Keep us updated on the situation.