My phone is on the bell network instead of the fido network

Broberts58
I'm Helpful Level 1

I got a new phone today a LG G5 and had it activated on the fido network. But now it's on the bell lte network for some reason i know the bell is the closest tower to me. Also when I do a network search the bell network shows up now and it didn't before with my LG G3. Can anyone explain why this would happen.

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Broberts58,

Are you still at the same location as when you previously posted here? In those posts, you noted that your phone occasionally went on extended coverage (Fido-EXT). Access to extended coverage happened when your phone was roaming on the other Canadian networks. With your LG G3, when your phone indicated Fido-EXT, you were likely on the Bell network since there is a closer tower. With your new phone, it is also accessing the extended network. However, rather than denoting Fido-EXT, it's stating Bell.

If you remember, there are limitations as to the amount of extended coverage allowed.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Broberts58
I'm Helpful Level 1

Yes i am in the same location and I was told by fido rep it doesn't matter if i'm on fido extended for a long period of time etc. Thanks my phone is on fido ext now and still working fine.

Hello again,

I'm glad your phone has decided to denote Fido-EXT now.

Perhaps @FidoSolutions (or other moderator) can verify whether changes have been made to the extended coverage policy. According to the website, it still states:

It’s intended to be used occasionally and the majority of your monthly usage (talk, text and data) must occur on the Fido network. If the majority of your monthly usage occurs within Extended Coverage areas, we may restrict or limit your access to Extended Coverage on an ongoing basis. ~ taken from here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Broberts58
I'm Helpful Level 1

I was not aware of that, why would they sell you a phone then if you live in a area that is considered a extended  coverage area? my son works for rogers and told me thats there policy also and he wondered why fido's wasn't the same well now we know it is and thats they have been screwing me around for so long.

Hello again,

In fairness to Fido, it's not always easy to identify when and where a phone/device will connect to the extended network. Yes, there are certain areas that are deemed extended coverage areas according to their coverage map. However, you don't have to be outside of the city or in some remote area to be outside of Fido/Rogers coverage. All that is required is that your phone not receive Fido/Rogers signal while still being able to receive their roaming partners' signal.

I've recounted this story a few times already in various threads... When I'm visiting Port Elgin, ON. On one side of the street I'm on Fido. Directly across the street I'm in extended coverage. According to the Fido network coverage page, all of Port Elgin is fully covered. However, ten or fifteen metres was the difference between receiving Fido/Rogers signal and not being able to receive it. It all has to do with your location relative to your surrounding towers. You can get an idea of the location of your surrounding cellular towers are here.

If you live in a designated extended coverage area (ie Iqaluit, NU), it would have only been fair to have informed you. However, your area could have Fido/Rogers cellular towers but your location is just out of reach.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers