My first billing charges

My first billing charges

My first billing charges

SOLVED
Jo221
I'm a Contributor Level 1

My first billing charges

I signed up with Fido $40 plan on Nov 20th.I just got my first bill which is $106. It includes $50 data extra usage besides monthly charge. I don't understand what that is.I just signed up and this plan has 4g data.My data usage in my phone is only 76M.So where does that charge come from?

Accepted Solution

Re: My first billing charges

Solved by MVP MVP

@Jo221 wrote:

I signed up with Fido $40 plan on Nov 20th.I just got my first bill which is $106. It includes $50 data extra usage besides monthly charge. I don't understand what that is.I just signed up and this plan has 4g data.My data usage in my phone is only 76M.So where does that charge come from?

@Jo221 When you activate your line, the system automatically assigns a billing cycle to your account, this cycle begins the day following your activation date. Due to this, you're billed for 1 month + 1 day on your first bill. The extra charge you're seeing on your bill is a partial amount of your plan for that 1 day.

If you look at the bill details you will see what the extra charges are, it is most likely charges for going over your data, because your data is prorated which means for the one day you did not have access to the full 4gb of data you only had 4096/31= 132mb of data for that day.

View solution in context
18 REPLIES 18
Michaela12379
I'm a Participant Level 1

I'm having nearly the exact same issue as this and would really apreciate if someone could look into it...

Hey @Michaela12379

Welcome to the Community. Smiley 

Is this also for your first invoice? Did you get a chance to download the PDF file version of your bill to review the full usage details? 

Mike28

I have the same issue. I would really appreciate if somebody at the store could tell me this will happen in first place. I really don't feel like reading agreements before I step through the door. I believe it's not a proper way to greet new costumers.

Hey @Mike28,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback. Keep in mind that we provide you with the agreement because we're up front about what we offer and want you to have all the necessary information.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you'd like me to send you a PM to talk about your account.

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Jo221 wrote:

@Jo221 When you activate your line, the system automatically assigns a billing cycle to your account, this cycle begins the day following your activation date. Due to this, you're billed for 1 month + 1 day on your first bill. The extra charge you're seeing on your bill is a partial amount of your plan for that 1 day.

If you look at the bill details you will see what the extra charges are, it is most likely charges for going over your data, because your data is prorated which means for the one day you did not have access to the full 4gb of data you only had 4096/31= 132mb of data for that day.

Jo221

Ok.But they charged me for 5.6mb which is way less than 136mb. I did not exceed that limit/day.

Jo221

IMG_1380.JPG

This is the detail of the extra charge of data.Apprrently, they charged me for 5.6 mb which doesn't make any sense.

@Jo221 That does not look right a moderator here should PM you to look at your account and get to the bottom of this for you.

Hi @Jo221 & welcome to the Community!

Let's take a closer look at your bill to find out what happened. I'll send you a PM shortly. Smiley

Jo221

The extra charge has been removed. I am very happy. Thank you so much!

jiheejang1
I'm a Participant Level 2

How can you remove your extra charge about first day??

007craft

This is esentially a scam that canadian telecoms do.  Its not unique to fido, every single provider does this.  They start the billing date the day AFTER you sign up (Some providers do it 2 days after).  They do this so they can charge you for a months usage for only 1 day of service.  it doesnt matter if you use your full plans alocated data or not, you will be charged for 1 month of usage.  95% of new customers will just pay their bill, not understanding or not noticing.  

The rest (people in this thread), will call up their provider.  The provider will say "Oh yes youre right, thats not right" and refund you the charge.

This should really be illegal and has been going on in Canada for over a decade with all new customer signups.

Hello 007craft,

Welcome to the community!

@007craft wrote:

...They do this so they can charge you for a months usage for only 1 day of service.  it doesnt matter if you use your full plans alocated data or not, you will be charged for 1 month of usage. ..

That's not quite how it works. It's true they usually start the billing cycle on the second day (in some cases, it may be third day?). However, they do not charge a full month's charge for the first day (ie the day you signed up). The charges for that day are prorated. That is, the first day is only charged 1/30th of your monthly charges. Accordingly, you also only have access to 1/30th of any usage allotments for that day. Any use over the 1/30th allottments would be considered overage. Your first bill would include your first billing cycle plus the first day's charges.

This was also explained in the solution above.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Thu_Ng

Guys, I'm a new customer and I suffered the exact same problem. They charged me $50 for the "additional data charge" because that stupid "first day" rule, which non of the Fido staff cared to remind me when I signed the contract. I believe they did that on purpose so they can scam new customers a few bucks.

I just assumed when I walked out of the store, I get full access to my monthly data allowance, which is not the case. I searched on the internet there are so many new customers suffered the same situation.

Shame on you Fido.

Hey @Thu_Ng

Welcome to the Community. 

I can totally get how it can be unpleasant to receive a bill that is higher than expected. It's not the kind of experience we want for our customers and the prorations on new activations and plan changes is something we're transparent about which is why we have a section about it on our site here

Thu_Ng

Hi Pierre,

I don't know how "transparent" you are for putting up that little article on your website, but not directly explain to new customers how it works. I did a little research on the internet and found out that you guys let this situation happen for years and basically did nothing to prevent it.

It's not very hard to find that a lot of your new customers suffered this first month "additional charge" situation without even knowing what is going on until they dig up the internet or go in these "community forums" to look for answers like this one here.

Had any of your staff mentioned or explained about this "first day" rule when we sign the contract, I bet non of this would have ever happened. But nooooo, no one cared to mention because you knew customers would use a lot of data especially on the 1st day after getting their phones (to download apps and stuff) so you guys can charge a few more bucks.

Imagine getting a first month $310 bill on a $80 plan. How "transparent" you are about this? Please answer for yourself.

FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @Thu_Ng,

We truly are sorry you feel this way Sad We do want to provide you all the pertinent information each time you interact with us! The proration of your plan for the first day(s) when activating the line is explained in your service agreement, along with your billing cycle.

That being said, I get where you're coming from, I too am a customer Smiley If you want, we can take a look at your account together! Let us know and we'll send you a PM.

Mishka702
I'm a Participant Level 3

If you log into your account it will how you where the extra fees were incurred. I remember my first bill was higher than my monthly it's also because of the time of the billing cycle, but for sure check your accout and there's an option that says "break down my usage/account and it'll tell you where the extra fees came from. Hoped that helped a bit