Moto X Pure Edition(2015) from USA for Fido Network?

RenchieClare
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi Fido! I am intrested of buying Moto X Pure Edition from States and use in the Fido Network. I want to know if the phone will work. Here are the specs of the phone:

Networks

LTE cat. 6 capable
WCDMA
CDMA
EV-DO
GSM/EDGE

Bands

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS),1900, 2100 MHz)
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)

4G LTE† (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41)

Hope Fido tech/customer support and or other users can give me a feedback about this before I buy the phone. Many Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
RenchieClare

Hi there. Thank you for the replies. When I checked the motorola usa website specifically the moto x phone, these are the specs i got:
Networks
LTE cat. 6 capable
WCDMA
CDMA
EV-DO
GSM/EDGE

Bands

http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-pure-edition#Specifications

about the +sign at lte, its from the footprint: states-†Band coverage varies by carrier.

I hope this helps. So what do you think?

@RenchieClare wrote:
... its from the footprint: states-†Band coverage varies by carrier.

I hope this helps. So what do you think?

Hello RenchiClare,

Thanks for the additional information. Personally, I still don't know why they put that statement as a footnote for LTE. The same would apply for both the 2G and '3G' networks as well.

That said, following some additional googling, the Moto X Pure ed is supposed to be touted as compatible with all four major US carriers out of the box (see here and here). If that is the case, then it is possible that the phone does indeed have all of those bands listed. But since it is so new (pre-orders only started Sept 3rd), there are relatively few reviews on its functionality on the different networks. 

So again, according to those specifications that phone would have all three compatible bands/frequencies for Fido/Rogers' LTE network.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

RenchieClare

Hi there. The moto x pure edition 2015 from states works for fido network, i got a lte signal. so far so good. No need to configure anyting cos it is an unlock phone. Once I put the sim card,works fine! Thanks for all the help.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@RenchieClare wrote:

Hi Fido! I am intrested of buying Moto X Pure Edition from States and use in the Fido Network. I want to know if the phone will work. Here are the specs of the phone:

Networks

LTE cat. 6 capable
WCDMA
CDMA
EV-DO
GSM/EDGE

Bands

Hope Fido tech/customer support and or other users can give me a feedback about this before I buy the phone. Many Thanks!

***Edited to add labels*** 

Hello RenchieClare,

Welcome to the forums!

According to those specifications, that phone has all of the Fido/Rogers compatible bands/frequencies for 2G, '3G', and LTE. You can verify them here. As long as the phone is unlocked, it should have no problem accessing the Fido/Rogers networks.

**edit** Just a note to verify the LTE bands/frequencies of the actual phone version you are getting. I'm not sure why the 4G LTE above, was the only network listing to have the '†' footnote after it. It is possible that different versions of that phone may have different LTE band/frequency configurations depending on their intended markets. 

@FidoMaria wrote:

It's hard to tell since you've only provided the bands and not the frequencies.

Do you know what frequencies the phone is compatible with for LTE?

Actually, the bands are the more accurate and preferred method of reference. Each band refers to a specific frequency range. However, some 'frequencies' refer to more than one band. For instance, 700MHz could refer to bands 12, 13, 14, 17, 28, or 29 depending on the specific range within 700MHz. They may all be labelled  the same 'frequency', but they are definitely not compatible with each other. For more information and the specific frequency ranges for each band, see here

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

RenchieClare

Thank you Fido Maria.Good.to know the phone will work 2g/3g network..But how about for the 4g lte network? When you compare the phone specs particulary for 4g LTE† (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41 and with fidos lte(700 MHz on Band 17
1700/2100 MHz on Band 4
2600 MHz on Band 7), will the phone work on 4g and 4g lte?

@RenchieClare wrote:
... will the phone work on 4g and 4g lte?

Hello again RenchieClare,

I just noticed you made the distinction between 4G and LTE in a previous query.

With regards to LTE, as I mentioned above, you would need to verify which bands/frequencies the version of phone you intend to purchase actually has. The more I think about it, the more likely I think there are multiple versions, even just within the US. T-Mobile, Verizon, ATT, etc all use different bands/frequencies for their LTE networks. 

Now with regards to 4G... This is where things get a little more complicated. Most mobile companies, including Fido/Rogers, consider HSPA+ (H+) as 4G since the speeds can be comparable to LTE. Evolved high-speed packet access (HSPA+) is a protocol based on the UMTS (WCDMA), or '3G' network. Since that phone has both of the compatible '3G' bands/frequencies, it should be able to access HSPA (H or 3G on phone) and HSPA+ (H+ or 4G on phone) depending on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers.

So yes, that phone should work as 4G and possibly on the LTE network depending on the version.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

It's hard to tell since you've only provided the bands and not the frequencies.

Do you know what frequencies the phone is compatible with for LTE?

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi RenchieClare & welcome to the Community! Smiley

The phone will definitely work on our 2G and 3G network.

For LTE, we use:

• 700 MHz on Band 17
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7

Cheers!