Mobile internet

Mobile internet

Mobile internet

SOLVED
wooleybear
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Mobile internet

Hi Everyone:

I can't seem to find an answer to this so maybe someone here can help. I currently have the 3 GB tablet plan for $15 ( which is great BTW.) Why are all the mobile Hotspot plans so costly? Couldn't I just buy an Internet device outright, put my sim card in it and pay the $15 for 3 GB?

That would help for a WiFi only tablet or laptop.

Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile internet

Solved by MVP MVP

@wooleybear In theory it should work as long as you have the correct APN settings last I heard Fido allow tethering with the tablet data only plan.

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@wooleybear In theory it should work as long as you have the correct APN settings last I heard Fido allow tethering with the tablet data only plan.

wooleybear

Sorry Kapable-K what was the last part of that.? As far as you know.....?? 

@wooleybear as far as I know they allow thethering on the tablet data only plans, so as long as tethering is allowed it should work for what you want to do.

Hey everyone Smiley

Just to add to what KAPABLE-K wrote:

-  You need to have a plan/ data add on with a minimum of 1gb (or for some older grandfathered additional data allowance of $5 for 100 MB or $5 for 500 MB)

- Tethering won't work if you have a flex rate data add on starting at less than 1gb. This also applies for data-only plans. In other words, yes it's possible to tether if you have the $15 data only plan with 3gb of data.

Hope this helps! Smiley

wooleybear

Thanks for the reply Christina.I'm not sure Kapable-K and I were on the same page.I didn't want to tether from my tablet but I wanted to find out about the Internet device ( mobile Hotspot ) that Fido sells. I notice that the Plans for the Internet device are quite costly, $22 for 100 MB up to $72 for 5 gb. compared to  the 3GB plan for $15 on my LTE tablet. If I were to buy the mobile Hotspot device could I get a comparable plan ($15 for 3GB ) for a laptop or WiFi only tablet?

@wooleybear wrote:

... I notice that the Plans for the Internet device are quite costly, $22 for 100 MB up to $72 for 5 gb. compared to  the 3GB plan for $15 on my LTE tablet. If I were to buy the mobile Hotspot device could I get a comparable plan ($15 for 3GB ) for a laptop or WiFi only tablet?

Hello Wooleybear,

I think part of the reason for the price difference in the listed Flex data (Hotspot) pricing as compared to the tablet plan pricing is that the former includes the Tab portion for the hotspot device itself, whereas the latter pricing does not include any Tab portion. The Tab (if any) is separate.

That said, the limited timed offer of 3Gb for $15 still seems like a better deal. I think you should be able to purchase the Hotspot device and get that plan. The website states: $200 With a monthly plan only (no Fido agreement) (see here). They do not mention any restrictions on the type of monthly plan. Perhaps a moderator could verify please.

Alternatively, you could purchase a compatible unlocked hotspot device for use with that data-only plan. You can verify compatibility here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

@wooleybear I wasen't saying to tether from your tablet. I was letting you know that as long as Fido allows tethering on the tablet data plans then it will work if you put the SIM in a mobile hotspot device.

@FidoChristina confirmed that you can tether with the $15 3gb plan. So if you put the SIM from your $15 3gb data plan in a mobile hotspot and configure it correctly it will work.