Misleading sales

Misleading sales

Misleading sales

SABJ1234
I'm a Participant Level 3

Misleading sales

Visited a Fido store and was advised by the acting manager that I was entitled to a free hardware upgrade.
Ended up with a iPhone 7 and a new plan of 10 Gbps of data for $100 a month.
After fido dollars and trade in value of my iPhone 6, it cost me$50.00
Ok with that!
Problem is I get my first bill and Fido charged me $150.00 for breaking contract and a $15.00 activation fee.
This is not proper!
Had I been told that there would be cancellation fee of $150.00 I would have kept my IPhone 6
Old contract was to expire Feb 1/18
This is a rip off.
Unless Ian reimbursed, Fido has lost a long term client

9 REPLIES 9
FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @SABJ1234 ,

Thanks for reaching out about this! Sorry to hear that your experience was ruined once the bill showed up! It's definitely not what we want for our customers.

Were you not showed a copy of the new agreement in store? 

Thanks for clarifying! 

SABJ1234

I was given a copy of the agreement but it was not suggested that I should read it There was no hint that it may contain a cancellation penalty.
Bottom line I had a iPhone 6 that was under contract for another 7 months and was persuaded to upgrade with inadequate disclosure.
Very poor businesss ethics on the part of Fido.
Employees of Fido should not be pressuring existing long standing customer to upgrade devices without full disclosure to the purchaser .
Why would I upgrade , pay additional monthly fees and then find out that there is a cancellation fee.
If I was advised at the time there was additional fees, I would not have completed the transaction.

@SABJ1234 Thanks for the extra info!

That definitely doesn't sound right; there are specific sections of the agreement that must be read and then either an initial or signature from your part is required.

Did they make you sign anything?

SABJ1234

Sure , initial here , initial here etc
Bottom line there should have been a disclosure on the employees part to the client.
Why would someone change their phone, increase their monthly bill and then Be subject to a large penalty for breaking an existing satisfactory contract.
Bad business practice on Fido management part

I hear you @SABJ1234

It's important to review the agreement letter as you're agreeing to the terms by signing though. You also have 15 days with under 30 minutes of talk time after the initial upgrade to return the device. 

Hope that clarifies that for you. 

SABJ1234

With all due respect, this is a cope out.
Why would the acting manager advise me that I was entitled to a free upgrade , encourage me to take a new plan for extra dollars and not properly disclose that there would be an early upgrade fee.
How can you justify advising a client that an upgrade is available at no cost and then subsequently billed the client for early upgrade fee. As well to stick the client with an activation fee.
Is this the way the industry operates?
Be that as it may , unless this charge is reversed, Fido has lost my business with no possibility of returning.
Thank you

I can't speak for the representative that helped you with your upgrade but is it possible they were referring to the cost of the new phone when they mentioned a free upgrade? 

I'll send you a PM and we'll go over this more in detail together. 

SABJ1234

Sorry there was no misunderstanding as it was never discussed that there would be an early cancellation fee.
As a matter of interest when the sale was concluded and I purchased several accessories, the final bill came to some $88.00 which I paid and was assured there are no further fees involved.
In addition, the staff tried to convince my my wife who was presence to upgrade her phone as well with no cost.
Fortunately she declined. She has been a Fido customer in excess of 15 years.
Thank you for your patience in dealing with this issue.

I'll be more than happy to go over it further with you. Smiley Feel free to reply to my PM whenever you have the chance.