Misleading G6 and bluetooth headset promo

ymlccc
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Guys, 

The recent G6 trade in promo with LG infinit bluetooth headset is so misleading and probably is one of the biggest marketing scam of the year... I recently rejoined Fido due to the recent G6 trade in promo (been with FIDO for 10+ years previously) and this is where my nightmare started. The website and store are showing very misleading marketing marterial by saying:

"Save a minimum of $400 on the NEW LG G6 with FidoTRADE

In-store only

With FidoTRADE, you give a little and get a lot! Trade in select devices and save a minimum of $4001 on the new LG G6 on a 2-year AND get a FREE LG TONE INFINIM™ Wireless Stereo Headset in silver2; that’s a $169.99 value! Your favourite music comes to life when acoustic perfection meets brilliant design."

Q1: Let me ask you a question, where did you see anyword about "reserve" or "pre-order" from the above statement?

Q2: here is a picture taken from one of FIDO kiosks in Quebec so it is in French, same question, where do you see "reserve" or "pre-order?" in the slogan?

DSC_0011[2].JPG

I was happy that I can trade in an old ihone 4 32gb for a brand new G6 with a bonus bluetooth headphone, honestly what a great promo! Then I asked the store clerk to give me the bluetooth headphone once we finalized the transaction and ported my number from Koodo to Fido. He simply told me sorry sir, it is only for client who have "reserved or preordered" the phone... I seriously felt been cheated by such dirty marketing scam and false advertising as a customer. I was in a hurry since my meeting was going to start in 20 mins that day so i didn't have the time to argue with him. 

I went home and decided to check with another FIDO store next day and the clerk at another fido kiosk simply told me "at this kiosk, they will give me the bluetooth headphone for free without the need to preorder or reserve LG G6". I also asked the clerk twice and he confirmed twice. 

I immediately called the original FIDO kiosk back and spoke with my original sales clerk and he said he will resolve this for me today. I drove 40 min (30km) back to the kiosk that I purchased the G6 from but my sales rep. was gone but he left a message to his colleagues. However, the girl who got the message couldn't help but refused to give me the headphone. She simply told me I have to read the fine print carefully and showed the fine print to me. So I wasted lots of time and gas and end up getting nothing because I didn't read the fine print carefully before I sgined up with FIDO...

as a customer, I really don't understand what's the point of promoting a free bluetooth headphone in store while the fine print says you have to reserve or pre-order it online first and then send it to a store? I felt totally dumb as a "Walk in" customer and to be honest with you, if I am already in a store and ready  to buy, do you expect your sales people to kindly ask their client "sorry sir, you have to preorder/reserve the phone online first and then ship it here then I can give you this bonus gift...'

I am sharing my personal experience here as a very frustrated customer and hope I can help someone that's on the same boat or might be signing up this misleading promo/marketing bait

Feel free to contact me, if anyone from FIDO customer care team sees this here 

Thank you but no thank you...

8 REPLIES 8
kosta35
I'm a Participant Level 2

I am another upset customer !! Wish i had read that bofore !! Shame on you Fido !!

To put some salt in the wound, here is a pic of today, April 25, they still offer it !! Even thought they pulled it off the website Sad I wish they could offer one for one.. nice and simple.. Fine print is always a fine excuse !!!

Shame shame shame..

Kostas Papakyriakopoulos

20170427_114724_HDR_resized.jpg

@kosta35 The ad also says limited time offer at the bottom.

kosta35
I'm a Participant Level 2

Could not agree with you more... As long as the sticker for the free headset is on, the "limited" time is still good...simply honor your offer, otherwise take the stickes down, where is our disagreement ?? Smiley

@kosta35 As the promotion is no longer applicable we can no longer apply it. Thank you for your understanding. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Ymlccc,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry you feel mislead regarding the promotion. However, it is standard with every promotion or offer for pretty much anything that there is the fine print. It's the same with credit cards, insurance, mortgages, car leases or rentals, internet or cable services, coupons, etc...

@ymlccc wrote:

"Save a minimum of $400 on the NEW LG G6 with FidoTRADE

In-store only

With FidoTRADE, you give a little and get a lot! Trade in select devices and save a minimum of $4001 on the new LG G6 on a 2-year AND get a FREE LG TONE INFINIM™ Wireless Stereo Headset in silver2; that’s a $169.99 value! Your favourite music comes to life when acoustic perfection meets brilliant design."

Q1: Let me ask you a question, where did you see anyword about "reserve" or "pre-order" from the above statement?

The statement you copied contains the references to the full details (originally superscript, but highlighted in red above) (see here).

Full details: ...2. Offer available for a limited time while quantities last, and is subject to change without notice. Available with reservation and subsequent purchase of an LG G6 smartphone on a 2-year plan. LG TONE INFINIM™ Wireless Stereo Headset and smartphone may not arrive in the same delivery...

I'm sure there's similar fine print in the stores as well.

The reason one must reserve or pre-order is that the store locations do not keep the headsets in stock.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ymlccc

Hey Cawtau,

You're sure there's fine print in the store but apparently there's not. The agent had to take time by pulling it out from FIDO website. There's no written/printed sign in the store to show this fine print. Anyways, i just done a research and it seems lots of people on redflagdeals also got very upset that some got this bonus promo without reserved the phone first. So if I had to be the unlucky one, then all I can do is to stop bleeding by cancelling my unhappy account with FIDO. LG G6 is great but simply this whole experience in the past two days were just destoying it.

Thank you for taking time to reply but basically, I felt what you said were just like the agent in store: read the fine print next time, we got you since you didn't read the fine print. I am afraind that I won't be able to live with myself if I own a business and I had to "get" people by fine print instead of providing my client an honest,painless promotion.

Have a nice weekend.

Hey @ymlccc

Welcome to the Community! 

I am sorry to see you feel this way about your new service. I assure you it isn't our intentions in any way for our customers to have this kind of experience! We're constantly looking to get our customers the best deals, products and service! 

It is true that we offer a variety of promotional offers throughout the year but that each do have their own set of eligibility requirements. We would hate to see you go @ymlccc

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into all of this together. Smiley 

ymlccc

@FidoPierre

Thank you very much, please send me a pm and I am all ears to anything constructive. 

Have a great Easter weekend