Microsoft Lumia 640 from ATandT

SOLVED
keepitcasual
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello,

I have an unlocked Lumia 640 from ATandT, does it work in Vancouver (and BC) if it's missing some 3G and LTE bands on Fido's network? Network Specs below:

4G-LTE: Bands 2, 4, 5, 17
4G: HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul
3G - UMTS: 850/1900/2100MHz
GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Thank You!

Accepted Solution

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640 from ATandT

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@keepitcasual wrote:

Hello,

I have an unlocked Lumia 640 from ATandT, does it work in Vancouver (and BC) if it's missing some 3G and LTE bands on Fido's network? Network Specs below:

Thank You!

Hello Keepitcasual,

Welcome to the forums!

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for both the 2G and '3G' networks. With regards to LTE, that phone has two of the three compatible bands/frequencies, bands 4 and 17 (1700/2100 and 700MHz, respectively). You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. The caveat when a phone does not have all of the compatible bands/frequencies is that coverage may be limited depending on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. That said, band 4 tends to be the more widely used band so LTE coverage should not be an issue. With regard to band 17, it was rolled out in some communities in Vancouver so it may also be available to you, depending on where you are situated.

Hope that helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@keepitcasual wrote:

Hello,

Thank You!

Hello Keepitcasual,

Welcome to the forums!

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for both the 2G and '3G' networks. With regards to LTE, that phone has two of the three compatible bands/frequencies, bands 4 and 17 (1700/2100 and 700MHz, respectively). You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. The caveat when a phone does not have all of the compatible bands/frequencies is that coverage may be limited depending on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. That said, band 4 tends to be the more widely used band so LTE coverage should not be an issue. With regard to band 17, it was rolled out in some communities in Vancouver so it may also be available to you, depending on where you are situated.

Hope that helps Smiley

Cheers

keepitcasual
I'm a Participant Level 2

Merry Christmas!

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know which areas of Metro Vancouver uses band 7? Or will I only loose LTE service when I can't detect bands 4 and 17?

Thank you in advance!

@keepitcasual wrote:

Merry Christmas!

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know which areas of Metro Vancouver uses band 7? Or will I only loose LTE service when I can't detect bands 4 and 17?

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

Happy Holidays!

I am not aware of any locations where band 7 was deployed on its own. As far as I know, it has always been deployed in locations where band 4 had already been deployed. You can get an idea of the cell tower locations and their frequencies from online sites like here. While I can't vouch for their accuracy, it would give an idea of where the towers are located and their associated frequencies. Unfortunately, that site has not been updated to include band 17.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @keepitcasual 

The phone will connect to the next available network when it can't get a hold of the LTE.

Keep in mind that even if you are in an area covered by the bands compatible with your phone, you might not always catch the LTE network and will somethings hover between 3G 4G and LTE Smiley