Merge 2 Fido Prepaid accounts into 1 monthly account

SOLVED
mo8
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi,

I would like to merge 2 Fido Prepaid accounts into 1 monthly account.

I have seen some previous posts, which indicates that this is possible.

My additional questions are:

1) besides merging Fido dollars, will the Credits in 2 accounts be merged as well ?

2) If so will I be able to use combined Credit to obtain a new phone from Fido ?

If the answer to above is "Yes", then there is no need for further question as identified above.

However, if the answer is "No" to above questions, then:

3) If I convert a single Fido Prepaid account, to a monthly account, would I then be able to use the credit + Fido $, to obtain a new phone from Fido ?

And Finally, the following questions applies to all questions above:

4) IWhen I get the phone, will it be "Locked" to Fido ?

5) If it is "Locked" then for how long will it be locked for ?

6) and how much to unlock, so that it can be used with overseas phone providers sims, while travelling ?

I would like to Thank everybody in advance, who responds to these questions.

Have a nice day.

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Merge 2 Fido Prepaid accounts into 1 monthly account

Solved by Community Manager

Hey mo8!

Postpaid means a monthly account in which you receive invoices. A postpaid/monthly account can be on a month to month basis with any of our plans here or you can also get a discounted phone with a contract. The "By the month talk and text plans" are only available to prepaid accounts in which contracts are not available.

The price indicated for the iPhone 6 Plus at “$859 with a monthly plan only (no Tab 24 agreement)” would apply if you're on a postpaid account with one of our Standard plans and no contract.

You can certainly merge the prepaid accounts into one postpaid account and have the credits and FidoDOLLARS transferred. After 90 days, you will be eligible to upgrade the phones. If you purchase a phone at full price, it can be unlocked immediately after purchase for $50. if you buy a phone with an agreement, then it can be unlocked after 90 days for $50. 

I hope this answers your questions Smiley

View solution in context
15 REPLIES 15
FidoStephen
Community Manager

Hi mo8!

Welcome to the community!

1) Yes, your credits will be transferred over to the postpaid account.

2/3) Following the transfer, you'd need to pay for the cost of the phone at the time of the order (less the credits and FidoDOLLARS™). The cost of a phone can only be billed to the account when it's active for more than 90 days. So, if the credits from your prepaid account are applied to the monthly account with an immediate balance impact, yes, they'd apply to the cost of the phone.

For the others, zyx nailed it Smiley

Hope this helps!

mo8

Hi FidoStephen,

Thank you for your quick response, it is impressive and it is much appreciated.

I would like to clarify one point though:

You did refer to "post paid" account, does this this means an account with contract ?

However, when I refer to "monthly account", I meant "By the Month Talk and Text Plans", as indicated at Fido Internet Site, that is still without a contract (I assume)

For example one of the options for the cost of iPhone 6 plus, at Fido Internet site, is:

“$859 with a monthly plan only (no Tab 24 agreement)”

Doesn’t this mean the full $859 will be charged to your “no contract” monthly plan account ? (or else why would one want to pay the full amount if this option was for a “contract” account)

I am probably missing something here.

So in summary, in order just to clarify in my mind, what I was looking for is:

a) Merge Credits and Fido $s from 2 prepaid accounts into a single monthly, no contract account

b) Then keep this monthly account active for at least 3 months, before ordering a phone such that the account credits can be applied towards the purchase of a phone

c) The phone then can be unlocked, 3 months after the purchase of the phone, for $50, so that it can be used during international travel

From previous replies (b) and (c) are possible.

However, at the sake of probably repeating myself (at least partially) but, is (a) also possible ?

Thanks a lot.

mo8

FidoStephen
Community Manager

Hey mo8!

Postpaid means a monthly account in which you receive invoices. A postpaid/monthly account can be on a month to month basis with any of our plans here or you can also get a discounted phone with a contract. The "By the month talk and text plans" are only available to prepaid accounts in which contracts are not available.

The price indicated for the iPhone 6 Plus at “$859 with a monthly plan only (no Tab 24 agreement)” would apply if you're on a postpaid account with one of our Standard plans and no contract.

You can certainly merge the prepaid accounts into one postpaid account and have the credits and FidoDOLLARS transferred. After 90 days, you will be eligible to upgrade the phones. If you purchase a phone at full price, it can be unlocked immediately after purchase for $50. if you buy a phone with an agreement, then it can be unlocked after 90 days for $50. 

I hope this answers your questions Smiley

mo8

Thanks a lot FidoStephen, appreciated. That was very quick. mo8
Mo81
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello FidoStephen,

Very early in 2015, you have advised me regarding merging two prepaid accounts into a single monthly account (without contract ), thanks again, for that.

However, that did not materialize. So, instead I want to do something simpler, and needed to know if any of the Fido policies have changed, since then.

I would like to convert a single prepaid account into a monthly account (without contract).
For this, would the following be still true:

1) Will the already accumulated credit in the prepaid account be transferred to the new monthly (No-Term) plan ?
2) Will I be able to order a new phone using this credit, after 90 days of the opening of this new monthly account ?
3) Will the phone will be unlocked, at the time of purchase, since I would be paying the full cost using the credit in my new account
4) I am assuming one of the following plan types will be available, for conversion to a monthly “Bring your own phone (no-term plan) “
a) “ Data, Talk and Text Plans”,
for example: $40 for 1GB + 500 mins + Unlimited message or,
b) “ Data, Talk and Text Fido Pulse Plans”,
for example: $55 for 2GB + Unlimited mins + Unlimited message

I had some difficulty in trying to explain the original request, to the customer support, over the phone, back in 2015. So, I was wondering if you or one of the other Fido service experts, could help me, in some way, to get this conversion and the purchase of a phone, following the conversion.

Also, would you be kind enough to provide some reference policy/procedure number, that can be referenced to, for a more meaningful discussion over the phone. This would greatly enhance and expedite the solve the problem.

Your assistance will be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

mo81

Hey @mo8!

Your current prepaid balance would indeed transfer into your monthly account as a credit towards your first or second bill. The credit will help lower the cost of your invoice but it does not necessarily mean it can be used towards the cost of the new device purchase (this would instead go towards the cost of the plan). In this particular scenario you can actually order a phone during the transfer but you would have to make a payment towards the monthly account first. 

At this time all of our devices are locked to Fido, if purchase at full price you can have it unlocked for $50+tx. Our plans are subject to change, but you would definitely be eligible for any of our available Bring Your Own Phone plans. You can check them all out here

Let us know if you'd be interested in going ahead with this transfer and I can send you a PM directly on here to help! Smiley 

Mo81

Hi FidoPierre,

Thank you for your quick response.

Forgive me but I am a little confused.

First of all, FidoStephen, said I could use the credit to order a phone. Has the policy changed ?

Whereas you are saying "No and Yes". 

Quoting:

a) "Credit will be used to lower the Cost of invoice: "but but it does not necessarily mean it can be used towards the cost of the new device purchase"."

If I may ask, What does "necessarily" mean ?

b) "In this particular scenario you can actually order a phone during the transfer but you would have to make a payment towards the monthly account first."

Would you please explain, what does "a payment" mean ?

Is it the full cost of the phone or a portion of it ? 

Please be kind enough to clarify whether it is possible to use the credit towards buying a phone ?

My confusion arises from what FidoStephen has written earlier as well as the recent responses Ihave received.

Thank you

And it seems 

I'm sorry about the confusion @mo8

I seem to have misunderstood the ``credit`` portion you were referring to. The prepaid balance, meaning the amount that you added as refills will be transferred to your monthly account as a bill credit on your first or second bill.

However the FidoDOLLARS program has been phased earlier this year and is no longer available. As for the phone purchase, the full cost would need to be paid during the transfer. 

I hope this helps clarify, but let me know if you still have questions and I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look at the process together. Smiley 

Mo81

Hi FidoPierre,

Thank you for the quick response.

We are on the same page, as far as the first paragraph is concerned, in your reply.

I also know that Fido cancelled FidoDOLLARS promotion, back in October 2015.

However, I am still confused about the second paragraph: whether the accumulated credits can be used towards the purchase of a phone or not ?

Fido Stephen says "I can", where as you are saying "No".
(Please see the quote below from FidoStephen, from Jan 19, 2015, in ref to MO8, excluding the ref. to Fido DOLLARS part)

Isn't there some sort of a document like a policy/procedure, that we or the Fido team refers to, in order to understand which route we should take and avoid inconsistencies.

As a consumer, I do not know exactly what is correct ?

Quoting Fido Stephen, (from Jan 19, 2015):
"Following the transfer, you'd need to pay for the cost of the phone at the time of the order (less the credits and FidoDOLLARS™). The cost of a phone can only be billed to the account when it's active for more than 90 days. So, if the credits from your prepaid account are applied to the monthly account with an immediate balance impact, yes, they'd apply to the cost of the phone."

Than you.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hi @Mo81

Are you looking to transfer your existing Prepaid account into a new monthly account? Any FidoDOLLARS you had on your Prepaid account would have expired on January 31st 2016.

By accumulated credits, do you mean your prepaid balance? 

Any prepaid balance you have will be transferred within 7 days from the transfer to monthly. This means that you'll see this as a bill credit on the first or second invoice. 

If you want to get a new phone billed to your Fido account, we'd have to wait 30 days after you transfer the line to monthly. This used to be 90 days if you refer to the previous posts. 

Hope this helps! 

Mo81

Hello FidoMegan,

Thank you for your response.

I have replied to your email, with your comments in bold and italic.

"Are you looking to transfer your existing Prepaid account into a new monthly account? Any FidoDOLLARS you had on your Prepaid account would have expired on January 31st 2016."
Yes, I am looking to transfer my existing Prepaid account into a new monthly account.
Yes, I am aware of the FidoDOLLARS, situation. No FidoDOLLARS involved in this discussion.

"By accumulated credits, do you mean your prepaid balance? "

Yes.

"Any prepaid balance you have will be transferred within 7 days from the transfer to monthly. This means that you'll see this as a bill credit on the first or second invoice."
Ok, thanks.

"If you want to get a new phone billed to your Fido account, we'd have to wait 30 days after you transfer the line to monthly. This used to be 90 days if you refer to the previous posts."

Yes, I want to get a new phone billed to my Fido account.
The question is: when "the new phone is billed to my Fido account", will the cost of the phone be covered with the accumulated credits, that will be available in the account ?
(These are the credits transfered from the prepaid account to the new monthly account, as mentioned above)

Please, please, answer this question with some reference to a policy or procedure, which would set up the base for my progress.
I do need this because, I am getting confused with different answers, I have been receiving.

Would you also be kind enough, to help me to setup the account ?

Thank you FidoMegan.

Hey @mo8,

Hopefully we can clarify this for you Smiley

Once you transfer your prepaid account on to monthly , you can order a device right away as long as we take the payment equivalent to the price of the device during the transfer by credit card.

Once the transfer is completed, the balance from your prepaid account will be transferred onto the monthly within the next 7 days. Since the phone would've been paid by credit card, the credits will simply be applied towards your monthly bill (your regular monthly fee for the plan).

Now if you don't want to pay for the phone by credit card and would rather have it billed on the account and your bill, we will need to wait 90 days before we can order it. Once the order is placed, the charge will simply go on your upcoming bill.

In this scenario, your airtime credits from your prepaid account would have already been applied to your monthly account (since they get transferred 7 days after the migration). They would've already been deducted from your monthly bill. 

How it works is that when we transfer the airtime, it gets applied as a credit (negative balance) on your account. Once your monthly bill comes out, this credit gets applied towards it right away and you only have to pay the difference in the balance. Now if you still make a full payment for your balance, then your credit stays on the account.

This is what @FidoPierre meant when he said the credits might or might not be applied towards the phone. If the phone is charged onto the account 90 days later, the credits will have already been applied onto your bill.

Regardless however, you're still going to get those credits applied to your account, whether they get applied to your bill or on the phone, it comes to the same thing Smiley

Hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like to do the transfer and I'll send you a PM Smiley

Mo81

Thank you for your reply and for explanation of the two options.

In summary, if I choose the "second" option, after 90 days of waiting time, the credits transfered from prepaid account balance, to monthly account, will apply towards the purchase of a new phone.

Hopefully the settlement of this issue, will set a good example for people looking for good options available from Fido.

I would appreciate if you could send me a PM, to discuss and finalize the transfer.

Thanks again.

Hey @Mo81

I'm sending you a PM to complete everything.

Talk to you soon.

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

For 1, 2, and 3, I'm no authority, but I'd be surprised if you can keep your credits. I'm pretty sure they will vanish. But don't take my word for it!

4) Yes, it will be locked, except the Nexus line (currently, only the Nexus 5 is offered) which is always unlocked.

5) At least 90 days, but you must call to have it unlocked. It will never unlock without action from you.

6) 50$.

Click here for details