Marshmallow taking forever to arrive...

SOLVED
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Marshmallow coming in June...

Marshmallow coming soon...

Bull.

And this topic will be solved NOT when a FidoSomebody gives platitudes (I understand this is all Fido is capable of); it will be solved when I have up to date software on my phone.

I remain thoroughly disappointed with this company...

Accepted Solution

Re: Marshmallow taking forever to arrive...

Solved by Community Manager

Hey everyone,

Marshmallow has been rolled out to all of our Axon phones. Enjoy!

View solution in context
60 REPLIES 60
I'm a Participant Level 2

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update that I just received the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on my ZTE Axon (regular, not pro) A1R last night. 

My current version now reads V1.1.0B08
Baseband version A1RB01
Build number A1RV1.1.0B08

Now, I received the update at about 9:00pm EST last night, installed it, and when it restarted it was "Optimizing Apps" for about an hour, then it refreshed to a new Axon boot screen before getting stuck there....I left it for about 5 hours, before noticing the problem at 2am....I tried rebooting several times, each time getting stuck at the Axon boot screen (another weird note: the automatic screen dimmer kept going from bright to dim every 5 seconds or so).  
Anyways, I finally got fed up and went into the boot menu, where I just did a factory reset (I back up most of my content on a regular basis, so I didn't lose much).

So, word of advice before you do this update:  Backup your content (sound like a no-brainer but I got a little excited after this long wait).

Thanks ZTE, so far I am loving the update.

Thanks a lot for sharing with us, @Brodie182 !

I've been with Fido for 7- 8 Years with 2 phones that cost me over $200 a month and ive been waiting for this update for way too long as soon as my contract is up im switching to Telus my friend has had the update for months now. all Fido keeps saying is check back its comming soon copy and past responce. they do not care about the customer they are getting there money if they cared they would discount our bill everymonth that we dont have it!! but no all they say is buy out the phone or get a new phone which is just a way for them to make more money and give us **bleep** service. Done With Fido!!!!!

I'm Qualified Level 3

OK. I know this is my opinion and a lot of you on this thread is going to hate me becuase I don't understand. But why are you quitting Fido just because you are not getting an OS update? granted its weird that only the S6 is left out as even the S5 can be upgraded. But what is so damning important in the Marshmallow updates that is literally preventing you do continue using Fido as a service provider?

To me I'm imagining you guys are driving BMW 335i's but complaning you still don't have Apple Carplay and Andriod Auto so you will sell the car for a 2016 Honda Civic. It doesn't make sense right? But that's the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

I'll quit Fido when my cellphone plan cost is doubled or they decided to elimiate my cell coverage at my home. To me these are legit reasons to quitting Fido.

@Phat24 If I were to tell you Telus coverage is non existant at your home but their S6 has Marshmallow will you still make the switch? Can you tell me why the Marshmallow update is so important that you must have it?

Just to be clear I have a company S5 not with Fido, I can upgrade to Marshmallow but was advised againt it by the IT dept.  I couldn't care less hence want to know why you guys care so much about it.

I'm a Contributor Level 2

The problem is that are phone is the top of the line. well not anymore since the S7 is out. but when we all purchase that phone we expected to have all the new features that Samsung was comming out with. The fact that older phone and cheaper phone have the new update is unaceptable and fido should not be in the dark and not telling us what's the time frame or what the hell their doing with the update that takes so long. I also have a 2nd phone OPO with CyanogenMod, the new features that 6.0.1 brings are really nice and i can't wait to try them on my S6.

I'm Helpful Level 1

You just have to love these Fido birds that fly in once in a while to tell us how ridiculous we are for expecting the full service we pay for, something the lowest end carriers have supplied to their clients.

I guess we are ridiculous to not be happy to have a security patch dating back to November 2015m when other carriers have July 2016.

A smartphone is more than making calls and texting, many other important activities take place on them.

If I did not care about such thing I would go and buy a $50 flip phone from Walmart and hook it up on Wind.

Sorry for getting a premium phone and expecting premium service

@Wufai to each his own.

I'm a Participant Level 2

Well, I was paying over $300 a month, then paid out my contract and jumped ship to pay less than 1/3 of that with another company for two out of the four numbers I had with Fido. I guess I don't and won't get the update on my S6 anymore, but at the same time, what was I paying for before??

Hey @koppit! We're doing our best to get the update out as soon as possible but as mentioned previously we want to make sure the launch doesn't come out with any issues. 

FIDO should let us know what they are doing to the update, this would give us a good reason on waiting.

Samsung Canada can't do anything about it. 

i'm clealy going GOOGLE NEXUS when my contract end and i hate to say but IPHONE Maybe?

I'm Helpful Level 1

Oh the new Nexus when it comes for me this fall then I buy this phone out.

Rogers engineers are not able to support thus phone for some reason. Name me a carrier that still has not updated the S6 line?

They botched 5.1.1 and no security updates for the phone since November.

I suggest they stop selling the phone.

Talking with some friends on weekend about our phones and plans. All of them have marshmallow. Its time Fido at least let its customers know what the issue is getting us this update. Why should we be expected to pay in full for a service we are entitled to but aren't receiving?

Maybe we should stop paying our bill. That might get their attention, especially if enough of us did it.
I'm Helpful Level 1

I thought of that, call customer service and say I will not pay until the S6 line receive it's security and OS updates.

More than likely they shut off the phone and ruin your credit.

Can't fight the corporate giant only way is to move your business.

You will just hurt your credit score by not paying your bills.

If you want to make a difference you have to start with Samsung give them feedback as to why you will never get a product from them.

You are right. I have already called Samsung. My retailer is going to call them as well.

I'm Qualified Level 1

Not sure why Samsung keeps being implicated as the culprit. This is totally a Rogers/Fido problem. If every other carrier large and small have successfully implemented Marshmallow for their bootlocked Samsung devices then it can't be a Samsung problem. I'm running Marshmallow just fine on my S6 on Fido's network with zero issues. VoLTE works just fine too. Samsung can't be expected to run the carriers business as well as their own. Buy any international version of the S6 and you'd have had Marshmallow months ago.

@Proac no one said Samsung is the culprit we all know its Rogers/Fido but if you let Samsung know that their product is not being maintained as it should by the carriers and they can lose sales in the process then maybe Samsung will consider controlling the updates directly and not leave it up to the carriers.

I'm Qualified Level 1

Sorry guys I misinterpreted some posts as implying Samsung was the villain in this situation when we all know they don't control the rolling out of updates. Rogers/Fido are still busy stuffing their bloatware into the update I guess. I'll keep harping on about this even though I sidestepped the waiting process and am enjoying Marshmallow immensely. For the few posters defending Fido I really don't get that. You purchased a flagship device at a premium price and premium rate plan and you're receiving bargain basement service. I'm not a fan of Apple but I'll give them credit for how they update their devices. Perhaps Google should take control of all Android devices and roll out global updates without any interference from the carriers.

@Proac wrote:

Sorry guys I misinterpreted some posts as implying Samsung was the villain in this situation when we all know they don't control the rolling out of updates. Rogers/Fido are still busy stuffing their bloatware into the update I guess. I'll keep harping on about this even though I sidestepped the waiting process and am enjoying Marshmallow immensely. For the few posters defending Fido I really don't get that. You purchased a flagship device at a premium price and premium rate plan and you're receiving bargain basement service. I'm not a fan of Apple but I'll give them credit for how they update their devices. Perhaps Google should take control of all Android devices and roll out global updates without any interference from the carriers.

@Proac Google already does this with the Nexus phones and they even come unlocked. Google can not control updates for all Android phone manufatures because of different hardware thats why Android is open source. I passed my S6 to my wife and got me a Nexus 6P and loving it.

I did hear rumors that Google might make a close source version of Android.