Make better plans

I'm a Contributor Level 1 amandakeys
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Make better plans

A suggestion for Fido would be to make better plans, your plans lately have been so expensive with such little to it.., 1gb of data really. You should also consider making a family plan like Rogers has . Fido is great in every other way but the plans. I have 3 phones with you guys and looking to get 2 more for my kids but to pay almost $500 for cell phones is a bit crazy in my eyes. Koodo, wind and others have fantastic plans and are affordable , some even have family plans. Just something to think about.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10
I'm Experienced Level 3
I'm Experienced Level 3

Re: Make better plans

Koodo, Virgin and Fido are always virtually identical plans. And none have family share plans. They want you on the more expensive brands (Telus, Bell and Rogers) for sharing plans. The only company that is truly separate and not owned by the Big Three is WIND, but it is a very small, very slow network, not national like Fido. If Wind had good coverage, they would be $80 for 1GB too. You get what you pay for.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

I will agree that we need Fido to bring back more value-oriented plans. Bring back the $39 Smart plan from Spring 2013 -- 450 daytime min, unlimited after 6 pm, canada wide calling, caller id, voicemail, 600 MB, unlimited text/picture. Look at the $39 Smart plan now.... Fido's cheapest Smart plan is higher at $40 and offers JUST 250 MINUTES, NO DATA! Ever since the change from CRTC in fall 2013, the value at Fido has decreased significantly.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Ahh... the good old days of that famous $39 Smart Plan, I still recall the additional stuff I got when I just happened to be at a Fido store when my friend wanted to join Fido. We both got a Discounted $100 Samsung S3 (from normal price of $250 on contract) AND a $100 HUP, first 3 months at 50% off ($58.5 value) and I got to dump my Fido dollars for the phone. No Retention, no call back, no hagging, no special treatment for being a 10year fido customer. Just a straight up offer for both me and my friend

Also back then data overage is $5/200MB. not like $5/100MB today or Roger's crazy rate of $15/300mb.

Honestly I thought back then Canada's wireless plans are finally making progress to match internation standards in terms of price. Its too bad as technology progress prices are becoming more and more expensive.

Ah, in response to the OP, I HATE data sharing plans. It sound great in concept, but it makes data management a nightmare as you can never know how much data is being used by which phone/user.  As data usage becomes increasingly important in smartphones don't expect your other users (kids/parents) to keep a minimal usage while you use the lion's share of the data.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@credmau5 wrote:

Koodo, Virgin and Fido are always virtually identical plans. And none have family share plans. They want you on the more expensive brands (Telus, Bell and Rogers) for sharing plans. The only company that is truly separate and not owned by the Big Three is WIND, but it is a very small, very slow network, not national like Fido. If Wind had good coverage, they would be $80 for 1GB too. You get what you pay for.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Even with a national network and comparable performance, Wind would still be a smaller player that would need to grow their customer base. With all else being equal, they would still need to undercut the big 3 in order to gain marketshare. That alone would ensure lower prices than what the big 3 offer. Ideally, the big 3 would respond to competition and also lower their rates, or risk losing millions of their overcharged customers. Eventually a new status quo would be achieved with pricing but it would be lower than it is now. Our level of pricing and the absolute consistency of pricing across all incumbent "competitors" doesn't happen anywhere else in the world.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 3
I'm Experienced Level 3

You're forgetting that when WIND launched they did indeed charge $80 for unlimited talk/text/data and they had a MUCH smaller network then compared to today. And it was a screaming good deal compared to the Big Three which would not offer anything even remotely comparable for under $200/month. Wind had to cut that $80 to about $40-$50 nowadays because of the race to the bottom brought on by Mobilicity and the Big Three reacting with price cuts and fake fighter brands like Chatr Wireless.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

I'm just going bring the topic up. I live in Ontario and I know I'm not getting the best plan Fido can offer.

Why are some provinces with less infrastureture and population than Ontario can enjoy plans like $55/5GB? If $55/5GB is nationalwide I don't think we'll be getting anymore complaints.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10
I'm a Contributor Level 1 amandakeys
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I am from ontario too and I agree , I hear of so many people with better plans . Shouldn't all Fido stores have the same plans ?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

@Wufai wrote:
Why are some provinces with less infrastureture and population than Ontario can enjoy plans like $55/5GB?

One reason could be the number of Fido customers in each region. Given the same infrastructure, for a small number of customers a company can offer more without making a noticeable dent in their profits. Just a thought which may or may not be true since I have no idea what’s the percentage of profits (ON) from plans vs add-ons or “penalties” for going over the monthly allowed data but I suspect that’s not negligible.

@Wufai wrote:
If $55/5GB is nationalwide I don't think we'll be getting anymore complaints.

I think that there would be a lot of complaints but not from customers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

It's all about competition. In provinces with regional carriers (Sasketchewan, Manitoba & Quebec), Fido and other carriers will compete with their pricing. That's why you start seeing different pricing in these provinces as opposed to provinces that primarily have the Big 3.

Frankly, I think the Big 3 are more than capable of having better plans (more likely to occur with their respected sub-brands), but they need a good reason to do so. If the Big 3 (and their sub-brands) don't have much competition (aside from weaker carriers such as WIND or Mobiliciy), then they can price their plans as they wish with whatever features they want in them.

The only resistance is from consumers, but that won't really matter as much because consumers either go to a weaker carrier, stay with the Big 3/their sub-brand or completely jump ship and use a make-shift solution (such as VOIP).

_________________________________________________________________________________________
iPhone 5 - White 16 GB
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10