MMS and data (pre-paid)

MMS and data (pre-paid)

MMS and data (pre-paid)

SOLVED
JamesK
I'm a Contributor Level 1

MMS and data (pre-paid)

I think I already have the answer to my question but thought I would ask it anyway. Since I only use my phone for a little bit of talk and text (usually just SMS) I don't have any Data add-ons for my pre-paid account. I recently found out that in order for me to send or receive MMS chats (even if it is just text) I have to enable Data on my smartphone which I usually keep disabled since I don't have any data on my account. So my question is if I leave data enabled on my phone will I be charged for keeping it on or does my SIM know I don't have any data on my plan? Also I have a notice that comes up saying "connect to fido network" which I'm assuming is the phone telling me that it can't connect to the data network since I have to data plan atributed to my account.

Accepted Solution

Re: MMS and data (pre-paid)

Solved by MVP MVP

@JamesK wrote:

I think I already have the answer to my question but thought I would ask it anyway. Since I only use my phone for a little bit of talk and text (usually just SMS) I don't have any Data add-ons for my pre-paid account. I recently found out that in order for me to send or receive MMS chats (even if it is just text) I have to enable Data on my smartphone which I usually keep disabled since I don't have any data on my account. So my question is if I leave data enabled on my phone will I be charged for keeping it on or does my SIM know I don't have any data on my plan? Also I have a notice that comes up saying "connect to fido network" which I'm assuming is the phone telling me that it can't connect to the data network since I have to data plan atributed to my account.

***Edited to add labels***

@JamesK Data needs to be enable only for MMS regular SMS text will work without data enabled. If you have data disable and you receive a MMS it will still notify you on your phone but you will see a download message button.

If you do not have data and any app on your phone try to use data you will get a message giving you options to purchase data. You can also edit your APN settings to only enable data for MMS by changing the APN Type to just MMS.

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@JamesK wrote:

***Edited to add labels***

@JamesK Data needs to be enable only for MMS regular SMS text will work without data enabled. If you have data disable and you receive a MMS it will still notify you on your phone but you will see a download message button.

If you do not have data and any app on your phone try to use data you will get a message giving you options to purchase data. You can also edit your APN settings to only enable data for MMS by changing the APN Type to just MMS.

FidoPierre

Hey @JamesK

Very good question! Basically the data needs to be enabled so you can send and receive MMS, however doing this does not charge you any data charges. 

I hope this was helpful. Smiley