Loyalty starting to look like a one way street!

SOLVED
n95_user
I'm a Participant Level 3

It seems that Fido(Rogers) like many other telecommunication superpowers have taken the what have you done for me lately approach to customer service. It is sad to see that they do not take into consideration how long your account with them has been open when you are expressing your dissatisfaction with their prices. Recently I preordered the Samsung Galaxy S6 despite knowing how much it would cost because I read the review and I like the phone and I figured regardless or the price I'll buy it from Fido because they are my Service provider.

To my displeasure there apparently is only one option short of just buying the phone full price (which I could do anywhere and pop a sim in) and that is to change my plan to a Max plan. Personally this offends me. At the moment, I have a plan that suits my need more than enough with features that I don't even take advantage of but I pay for regardless. Now I'm being told if I want to own a "Premium" device It can only be subsidised on the most expensive price plans with 4-6 gigs of data when my average usage is well under 1 G normally and this expensive plan no longer gives you fido dollars and also no voice mail.

It's business! I get people who want the best have to pay the most....but we are already doing that with the phone that cost's the most. I did call fido to express my displeasure and the agent on the phone did the best within her power to make me happy but I still feel like her hands were tied by a company that should think about one or two things before they implement these kinds of policies.

First of all I have been a fido customer since my Nokia 3390 which though it was too far for me to remember I'm sure that it was around 2002. We all know that loyalty means something to a consumer. For many years I have been offered deals from other companies as all service providers started bundling packages. From Videotron, Bell and many others. For many years I have said no thank you I'm happy with my service. Part of that satisfaction was from their billing by the second (Yes I remember when that was an issue with other companies) and the Fido dollars was a big seller to me. Now it seems that both of these advantages have been abolished. I don't know if it is because of the acquisition of Fido from Rogers or they just have lost sight of what made Fido great over other service providers. Being a Customer for longer than most of the employees you speak with in the customer service department should count for something other than a $50 discount on an over $800 phone. That's not even TAX! By my calculation switching to a Max plan is going to cost me over $300 an year more than the plan I currently have times two years is $600 + 349 for the phone = More than the cost of the phone straight up even with a discount.

Loyalty used to count for something. Service providers used to eat a portion of your hardware because they were aware that they will make their money back from the services provided to their customers as most tech companies too. Now it seems that the Goal is to force their customers to pay for more then than need to get what they want. I think this is a  shame and it truly make me sad. BTW Rodgers quarterly earning are available online for all to see so please do not act like a $50 discount is doing your customers a favour.

We, your longtime loyal customers are the ones doing you a favour. Please take that into consideration when you insult our intelligence.

Accepted Solution

Re: Loyalty starting to look like a one way street!

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRachel

Hey chatterbox,

Sorry if it was not explained to you; our discounts are available for a few months at a time and can't necessarily be renewed when they exire. On the other hand, you always have the option to change your services during the contract if you see something more interesting. 

One thing's for sure, we try to be as flexible as we can with what we have.

View solution in context
18 REPLIES 18
Phoenician

I hear ya buddy, i told them the same thing. They have great employees for the most of them but the company is becoming just like any other...I ahve been with them for years and recommend them all the time, but i think I will stop doing that. Am still on my oolder plan and am paying most of my phone pff ..no need for 6 gb either when i use 1 GB max.. they also could not upgrade me (with me paying of course) to a 2GB plan cuase my plan is one of the older plans that doesnt exist anymore...

Hey Phoenician,

I'm not sure I understand, if you want to change your plan we should be able to take care of it. Could you give me more details please? 

Thanks,

chatterbox

I agrre that loyalty does not mean anything to fido (anymore?). I have been with Fido for 10 years with up to four contracts on my account (my wife, kids and myself). Two days ago I cancelled my old contract in order to sign up for a new one with a newer phone. My intention was to get a similar plan and to pay same amount monthly. As a part of a "deal" a rep told me tha he gives me a discount of $5 on my monthly payments. DEAL!

The next day I am picking up a phone from the nearest fido store and find out that the doscount applies to 6 month period only. Great news! That discount was actually a selling point to me. So, a fido store rep caould not do anything and I had to call fido explaining the situation. A fido rep agrees that in the notes id does not say that I am getting a discount for six month but and her interpretation is that I got a discount for one monthly payment. Does it make an sense to you? She started bombarding me with some silly examples about Macdonalds and their coupons (total rubbish). Finally she started yelling at me... Is not it lovely?

I went ahead with this contract not to upset my daughter - she was sooooo looking forward to get a new phone. My two other contract are ending by the end of this year. Good bye Fido!

Hey chatterbox,

Sorry if it was not explained to you; our discounts are available for a few months at a time and can't necessarily be renewed when they exire. On the other hand, you always have the option to change your services during the contract if you see something more interesting. 

One thing's for sure, we try to be as flexible as we can with what we have.

chatterbox

Thank you Rachel.

My complaint is about the company not standing behind its employees making mistakes. If I was told about the discount being applied to a shorter period I'd pick another plan - it would save me my time (I would not call fido the next day) and it would made me a happy customer again. Instead I got a load of negative experience dealing with the customer service which now make me reconsidering my loyalty to the company.

One little "mistake" on fido side ($5 a month) and reps unprofessionalism of handling inconvenient situation is going to turn into losing way over $200 a month for a very long time.

sal_67
I'm a Contributor Level 2

loyalty is non-existent now. sorry everyone.

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

We do value long time customers Sal_67, i'll send you a PM to check your best options. Smiley

I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi Terry,

i noticed that you use same answer all the time when loyalty is subject.

"We do value long time customers..."but I didn see any happy camper here after that discussion, yet.

Can you show one example please...........

My situation is a carbon copy as moth 5 is, and I beleive thousands others.

I'm with fido from 1996 or 1997 and only what I get from you guys are empty promisses.

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Hey 8008, I guess the message sounds similar because we do value our long time customers. Tongue

Feel free to reply to our last PM to if you want to over your options again. Smiley

moth5
I'm a Contributor Level 2

i have been  with fido since 1999, i was able to  get the samsung galaxy s6 with my old plan (falls under the smart plan) they  waived the $50 early cansellation , and $25 actavatoin fee.used my accumilated fido dollars($300) towards the phone, and ended up  paying  $300 for the phone, and i still collect fido dollars.

you have to  know how to  to be a pain  to these guys , they wont give anything unless you play the "i have been  with you  for X amount years ,give more optoins" card

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Maybe off topic but I have an older plan but since Fido changed the names of the plans it's not referred to as a "smart plan". Personally I took that as an attempt to get me off the grandfathered plan and get a larger subsidy (plus a fatter phone bill) to acquire my HTC One M8. I didn't give in and I got my phone and kept my older plan with 2 gigs of data.

mike

Hi Chatterbox, 

we'll send you a PM soon so we can discuss your account specifics further Smiley

frankrhymes

You can activate the S6 with subsidy on all types of plans including Standard, Smart, and Max.

Even if your plan is grandfathered, you can still get either 3 of the subsidies.

An in-store rep, or a customer service rep should be able to tell you which subsidy you qualify for.

frankrhymes

The subsidy just varies between the 3 plan types, obviously,

Telus

I don't think there is such thing as loyalty now.  I have always been able to get better than market retention plan from Fido  after being with Fido for over 15 years, but in the last couple years, I was only given the market price, they would only do something when I said I would take my service somewhere else if they can't match what other carriers are offering.  

It's such a pain to go over the same process.

arun_812

they dont even care if you say you are going to switch to diffrent company.

no retention thing any more with fido . especially with the guys in retention department.feels like they dont give a **bleep**,

being with fido since 2005

Telus

Loyal Customers are getting old and diminished in value, maybe in their eye, because we want better than market plan?  Not sure if that's the case.  Looks to me that's the way they are looking at it nowadays.

In some cases, we are worse than new customers.  I have had 2 phones with Fido all these time, before, they told me I couldn't get the 10% multi line discounts because one line was on retention plan, once I put both lines on markte plans, of course, I had to pay higher monthly fee, I was told I still not eligible for the multi line discount, because it's something they offered to new activation only, in other word, new customers.  

I had to fight, fight, fight with couple hour long phone calls, just to get someone to get me a 6 month good will credit,  for something that I should have had.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hi Telus! 

We contacted you by PM in order to look over your options on your account. Feel free to respond to us whenever you're available.