Looking to upgrade 4S to 6S but keep my existing plan

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

SOLVED
mattplex
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi,

I went to a local kiosk and asked them if I could upgrade my current 4S which I've had for 5 years now I think, to a new 6S. They said I would not be able to carry over my plan because it's originally from my 3G. It's unlimited calling/messages + 6gb of data.

They said I would have to buy the 6S outright for 1000+ dollars and they could carry it over to that phone.

I'm not really a fan of buying phones outright, otherwise I wouldn't be in a plan. I prefer to buy the phone at a discounted rate and stick in a plan, since I've had no issues with Fido and been with them for 8+ years.

On top of that, I still have Fido dollars, I'd like to spend before they become non-existant.

The Max plan that closely resembles mine is inbetween 115-130 dollars, which is 30-45 dollars more than I am paying now... That would be out of the question.

My question for Fido is, would I be able to pay $530 (minus 180 with Fido dollars), to carry over my 6gb plan and keep paying $85 a month? Or at least barter a bit? (Pay $5 more or pay $85 to get 4gb a month?)

I really don't want to leave Fido, but there are plans with other big companies that offer more data for less price.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Re: Looking to upgrade 4S to 6S but keep my existing plan

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAlyson

Hey @mattplex

Welcome to the Community! 

The discount offered on the phone is always related to your plan category.

If your plan category offers a subsidy, you can definitely keep it.

I'll go ahead and send you a PM to check it out Smiley

Talk soon!

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey @mattplex

Welcome to the Community! 

The discount offered on the phone is always related to your plan category.

If your plan category offers a subsidy, you can definitely keep it.

I'll go ahead and send you a PM to check it out Smiley

Talk soon!

mattplex
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Thanks for hooking me up, Fido. Very_Happy

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

What was the end result? I'm sort of in the same boat looking at a new device but not looking to lose my current plan but I'm not paying an exorbitant amount upfront for the phone.

Mike

franzh
I'm a Participant Level 1

same here. I want to renew my subscription and upgrade my phone from iphone 5 to 6s but don't have budget for cashing out $300 for 6s.