Looking for some advice on how to get a new user started

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 3

Looking for some advice on how to get a new user started

Hello,

I want to help my brother get started using a FIDO phone.

He has never used a cell phone before and I've looked but cannot find any plans for relatives where two people can get a deal from FIDO by using a "family plan" or something similar to that. Does anyone know of any such thing?

I'm looking for advice on what phone(s) and/or plan(s) we can get so that he can get started with FIDO in a quick and easy way - hopefully with a pre-paid phone.

However, after visiting several different outlets, I can't find any inexpensive phones to buy. It seems like everything today is part of a two-year agreement. Is it no longer possible to buy a simple phone for cash and then to use it as part of a pre-paid plan without any kind of investigation or other kind of delay?

I'd really like to be able to walk into a store and buy a pre-paid FIDO phone (preferably unlocked) and then get him started using FIDO right away. Does anyone have any suggestions for us on how to get started?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Looking for some advice on how to get a new user started

Hey ALISHIBAZ,

If you are looking for a prepaid phone and plan for your brother we offer an all-in-one prepaid kit which includes the Nokia Lumia 635 (a $200 value), a $20 voucher, SIM card, and more for only $125! You can find all the details here:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/devices?PhoneSKU=FIDOGOODYKIT&lang=en

With this offer, your brother would not need to go through a credit check and there would be no contract on the line. 

Also, if you refer your brother for activation, you will both be eligible for a $25 credit once his account has been active for 90 days through the Refer-a-Friend program. Smiley For more information on the referral program and how to proceed with setting up/completing the referral you can take a look here: 

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/whyfido/referafriend

Hope this helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted

Oh my! I have no idea how we missed that plan. I can't understnad that.

It is just about perfect for what we need. The only problem is that it's just a little more money than we wanted to spend.

We budgeted $100 maximum for the phone and I realize we will get that back within 90 days. But I gave you a thumbs up because I think it's a real great response to this thread and I'm just going to leave it open for a couple more weeks in case anyone else has any info on where we can buy a very inexpensive phone without any obligations - meaning without needing to agree to any fixed length time for the plan.

But, your suggestion seems to fall withing about the 95 per centile level of what we wanted and I must thank you very very extremely very much because it is just a great looking solution to me.

If I decide to go ahead with that, I will mark the thread as closed and get my brother to give you a "thumbs up" as well.

Thank you again!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey ALISHIBAZ,

Glad I could help!

We're here if you need anything. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

$100 budget: if you're not looking for a smart phone, the ZTE Z222 will cost you $55 without contract. But as soon as you want to go into smartphones, you'll have to go for $200+.

Unlocked phone: any phone you pick up from Fido will be locked, except the Google Nexus 5. But a locked phone can be unlocked after 90 days for $50; others can point you towards online services that will charge less than that, though.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5