Long Distance Charge not in plain sight

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 jmangwooley
I'm a Participant Level 1

Long Distance Charge not in plain sight

hey ya'll

i was unpleasantly surprised by my phone bill this month. an extra 59.40 from long distance charges brings my usually reasonable phone bill up and over $100. as someone who's low income and in a the profession of farming - where honesty, simplicity and transparency are a big deal - this is a sting. 

now i've looked through the forum support here in hindsight and have found the rates and charges for long distance.

however, my question is: why do i need to do research, digging through forums to find out what a standard long distance charge to USA is? for instance, on the fido main website, this link is offered in support 

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/support/featured-result#/how-to-view-long-distance-calling-rates--apple...

and the hyperlinked "click here for the long distance calculator" follows to add ons i can buy, not the promised calculator. is this just an error on the mobile site? how am i to know that it is going to be 55 cents a minute with faulty links on the main website? do you expect customers to look through forums for hidden links to find these rates? 

now i'm not here to complain about the rates nor the charge, but to call upon the lacking honest transparency of what something will cost. don't tell me how to avoid costs without telling me what those costs will be otherwise. make the choice for me easy. 

gladly i'm not on a contract because i'm going to start researching other providers to see if this lack if transparency is just the norm for providers or if this is just a part of the fido experience. happy to move on if this isn't just a part of all  mobile phone services taking from the people. 

again, please make that long distance calculator more accessible on your website and in plain sight when managing "my account" so that us who are on a budget can make better, more informed decisions without digging through forums on our hard earned spare time.

regards,

farmer jay.

Accepted Solution

Re: Long Distance Charge not in plain sight

Hey @jmangwooley ,

Welcome to the Community! 

Thank you for sharing your experience with us . It's definitely valuable feedback and we'll make sure to share it with the right team. We do want to be transparent and you brought up important points, your insight as a farmer is also very interesting so thank you for that as well! 

I hope @Cawtau 's reply was helpful in finding an easier route to the information.

If there's anything else you'd like to add we're here to hear you out! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
MVP
MVP

Hello Jmangwooley,

Welcome to the community!

Were you eventually able to find the long-distance rates? Unfortunately, it appears that support page you found had not updated the images when they updated the website.

You can find the long distance rates by clicking Mobile --> Add-ons --> Long Distance --> View preferred international rates. You can view the rates by entering the desired country in the pop-up.

Long Distance.jpg

Taken from here.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
Solution

Hey @jmangwooley ,

Welcome to the Community! 

Thank you for sharing your experience with us . It's definitely valuable feedback and we'll make sure to share it with the right team. We do want to be transparent and you brought up important points, your insight as a farmer is also very interesting so thank you for that as well! 

I hope @Cawtau 's reply was helpful in finding an easier route to the information.

If there's anything else you'd like to add we're here to hear you out! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi FarmerJay, Cawtau showed you the most reasonable and affordable option for LD from Fido. This is very reasonable, however, there are also long distance options that can allow you to call all over the world via a 3rd party provider. I am not completely sure if I'm allowed to post other Co. here so I will send you info by PM. I have used this for 15 years.

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
I'm a Participant Level 1 Marcusfall
I'm a Participant Level 1

I get long distance charge from fido every year, they tell me i have call some places.

Some places that i don't know anything about;

First time that happend, customer service told me i called a country in Africa, the last time it was several calls to different places in US, i can't even find those numbers in my phone and i'm %100 sure i didn't make those calls .

I asked customer service to block my sim card from making call to other countries , they didn't block it.

I asked them to investigate about this calls, they said, we will, but never did. 

And now i'm sick of it and looking for another provider...... 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6

Hey there @Marcusfall

Welcome to the community Smiley

Just a heads up, your usage can be viewed by downloading the detailed PDF version of your invoice on Fido.ca.

That being said, that is unfortunately not the kind of experience we'd want to offer, as we can provide you with the details of your usage on our end as well. We'll be sending you a PM so we can try to turn your experience around.

Talk to you soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6