Local Calling Areas and zones?

SOLVED
janineb
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi all!

Just wondering if someone can answer this question for me.

I have two home addresses. 

I currently have two phones one is based out of Winnipeg, Manitoba with a local calling area of 204 with Fido.

I also have another phone in Grande Cache, Alberta with a local calling area of 780 prepaid with Koodo.

I am planning on porting over my 780 number to Fido. However, the only reason I have this number is because it is located in Grande Cache, a family member can call me unlimited because of the number I have which starts with 780 501 even when I am in Edmonton. Will this still be the case if I ported over the number to my account? 

Or should I just add another subscriber to my account with a different billing address or is that even possible?

Reason why I ask this is because Fido doesn't have Grande Cache as one of their local calling area choices. They do have Grande Prairie but specifically do not have Grande Cache.

NOTES:

1. Yes I know manitoba plans are cheaper, no I don't care.

2. No they do not have unlimited canada wide calling because they are in an institution. They call me for 50 cents a phone call for unlimited local calling which includes Edmonton as long as my number begins with 780 501 XXXX under my Grande Cache address. 

So question is, will this still be considered local calling for them even after I port over my number to my account? 

Or if I changed my address on my main account to my Grande Cache account will I still be able to keep my Manitoba plan? Because I've already called in an asked to keep my 780 number which would be under my my Manitoba address but I am getting charged for the alberta plans. Please let know. I am so confused about this local calling... 

Accepted Solution

Re: Local Calling Areas and zones?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAmanda

Hey janineb!

Welcome to the Community!

Your local calling area is based on the area or geographic boundary associated with your wireless number, this essentially means that it's based on your area code. 

Your local calling area will not change if you port in your number nor will your address affect it. 

Have you checked if your number is eligible to be ported in? You can check right here.

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey janineb!

Welcome to the Community!

Your local calling area is based on the area or geographic boundary associated with your wireless number, this essentially means that it's based on your area code. 

Your local calling area will not change if you port in your number nor will your address affect it. 

Have you checked if your number is eligible to be ported in? You can check right here.