Local Calling Areas and zones?

SOLVED
I'm an Expert Level 2

Can someone explain how Fido zones work and how local calling areas work, as far as long distance and out of zone charges work?

Accepted Solution

Re: Local Calling Areas and zones?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoJudhy

Hello 10yearfido,

CityFido zones are pre-determined zones for specific areas. While on a CityFido plan, the plan's included minutes can only be used within that CityFido zone. If you are out of that zone, you are automatically billed for out of zone minutes which are $0.25 each. Please note that when you are on a CityFido plan within a CityFido zone placing a call to a different local calling area which is also within the same CityFido zone, long distance charges will still apply. No long distance charges are included.

You can find maps for the CityFido zones by clicking here. Once you are on that page, click on View details and coverage under the CityFido plans and then on Zones to see all the available zones.

As for the local calling areas, with your wireless phone, calls are defined as local or long distance based on local calling areas. Your location at the time of the call, your wireless phone number and the phone number called are all important factors in determining local calling areas and wireless long distance.

Let's say your local calling area is Toronto.

Basically, if you are in Toronto, calling a Toronto number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Toronto receiving a call, airtime only will be used. If you are, let's say, in Vancouver calling a Vancouver number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Vancouver receiving a call, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance. If you are in Vancouver or in Toronto calling a different local calling area, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance.

You can find more information on local calling areas by clicking here.

I hope this helps! Smiley

View solution in context
25 REPLIES 25
I'm a Participant Level 1

If I call from Whitby to toronto which in the same cityfido zone would it be considered long distance charge?

Hi there,

Whitby to Toronto is not a long-distance call, regadless of your plan. 

Former Moderator

Hello 10yearfido,

CityFido zones are pre-determined zones for specific areas. While on a CityFido plan, the plan's included minutes can only be used within that CityFido zone. If you are out of that zone, you are automatically billed for out of zone minutes which are $0.25 each. Please note that when you are on a CityFido plan within a CityFido zone placing a call to a different local calling area which is also within the same CityFido zone, long distance charges will still apply. No long distance charges are included.

You can find maps for the CityFido zones by clicking here. Once you are on that page, click on View details and coverage under the CityFido plans and then on Zones to see all the available zones.

As for the local calling areas, with your wireless phone, calls are defined as local or long distance based on local calling areas. Your location at the time of the call, your wireless phone number and the phone number called are all important factors in determining local calling areas and wireless long distance.

Let's say your local calling area is Toronto.

Basically, if you are in Toronto, calling a Toronto number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Toronto receiving a call, airtime only will be used. If you are, let's say, in Vancouver calling a Vancouver number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Vancouver receiving a call, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance. If you are in Vancouver or in Toronto calling a different local calling area, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance.

You can find more information on local calling areas by clicking here.

I hope this helps! Smiley

Greetings:

Please excuse me coming across as daft here.  But I've been a bit confused about this too because I get conflicting answers when I've called.

So the scenario is:

I live in Toronto and have a CityFido plan.  I will be travelling and in Winnipeg for some time.  

From my understanding:  Local calls made from within Winnipeg while I am there, to another local Winnipeg number are all inclusive in that zone.  All incoming calls from say Toronto while in Winnipeg are long distance charges? (this is the one I am unsure of).  And lastly, calls to Toronto from Winnipeg....are long distance charges. 

I have a data plan also.  Data is non-roaming so long as I am on a Fido network. 

Do I have all this correct and can you verify this?  I've called a few times and it seems like I get somewhat different answers depending on who I am talking to.  I want to avoid and billing hassles arguments and nonsense at all costs.   So long as I know exactly how things are, I'll deal with it.   But finding out later I was told the wrong thing with a big bill makes me quite angry when I have to call and correct it.

Hi Sorcerer,

Welcome to the community!

You mentioned that you are unsure about the incoming long distance aspect of a call. If ever you leave your local calling area, every call you receive is long distance, even if the person calling you is right next to you. This is the same with any plan (zone based or not) unless you have unlimited Canadian long distance. Click here for some more information on local VS long distance calling. 

All of your other statements are indeed correct. 

I'm a Participant Level 2

I've been confused about the free calling area from my location at the north end of the Toronto Fido Zone ...

Bradford  (905)  is shown as being the northern corner of the Toronto Calling Zone, but most land line calls more than 20 km away are long distance, even within the 905 area code  ... 😞

The Toronto calling zone map appears to make calls within the Bradford to Toronoto  and  Oshawa to Hamilton area free calling ???

Hey stuck_with_C6!

Your local calling area is not Toronto. Bradford would be in the Newmarket local calling area. This would be why some people may be charged long distance when calling you.

Bradford to Toronto or the other way around is local. Oshawa to Hamilton or the other way around is long distance.

Let me know if you require further clarifications.

I am exasperated with Fido Support.  After spending over 85 minutes on the phone this evening (over 30 on hold) I still could not get a clear answer as to what Long Distance looks like.

All the young woman could tell me was that THEY have a tool to check whether a number is long distance,  Since this tool does not appear to be public, this is of NO use to me.

I don't mind paying for Long Distance if I make the CHOICE to call LD.  I don't like the apparent deception of Fido Marketing that says something is included (the diagrams indicating city coverage) and then says in a caveat that "well it all depends on which tower is used, the weather, topographical concerns.....etc.

I want to understand what is covered.

I have a Toronto number.  I live in Oakville. 

90% of the time my calls are made from Oakville.

Say I make a call to either Hamilton or Burlington.......

The map says Burlington and Hamilton are covered. 

Calls made to these locations DO NOT indicate (when dialled) that they are long distance, however they show up on my bill as long distance.

I don't like guess work. 

HOW DO I TELL (BEFORE DIALING) IF A PARTICULAR NUMBER IS LONG DISTANCE???

Is there anyone at Fido that is actually able to answer this question? 

Hey Fido-Y!

With a Toronto number:

- Calls from Oakville to Hamilton are not long distance.
- Calls from Oakville to Burlington are not long distance.
- Calls from Toronto to Burlington are long distance.
- Calls from Toronto to Hamilton are long distance.
- Calls received while in Toronto are local.
- Calls received while in Oakville are local.

I hope this helps.

I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi,

Can you please specify the boundaries of local unlimited calling area in Ottawa by a 613 number? It appears your competition has no problem putting up a map that precisely indicates the inclusion zone... lets have something to sniff at Fido too (a URL would nicely do)... Happy

@Cheebase wrote:

Hi,

Can you please specify the boundaries of local unlimited calling area in Ottawa by a 613 number? It appears your competition has no problem putting up a map that precisely indicates the inclusion zone... lets have something to sniff at Fido too (a URL would nicely do)... Happy

Hi there, 

Just to avoid confusion, the link to the map you posted is their coverage area, not their local calling areas. You can find our coverage map by clicking here

Also, this page helps describe local vs long distance calls.

Don't you have a local calling area map that we can look at and can get a rough idea about the coverage? My particular question is whether Oakville is covered in the toronto plan. Calling out and calling in, I mean. Thanks.

@tdhargyal wrote:

Don't you have a local calling area map that we can look at and can get a rough idea about the coverage? My particular question is whether Oakville is covered in the toronto plan. Calling out and calling in, I mean. Thanks.

Hi tdhargyal ,

If you've got the Fido My Account App on your phone, you can go to the tab "More" on the top, and then select Local Calling Area. From there, you can find out what outgoing calls would be long distance based on your location, and which incoming calls would be long distance based on your number.

I can also confirm that Oakville is included in the Toronto local calling area.

I'm an Expert Level 2

Depends on which city fido plan you have, if you have the original city fido TORONTO, then if you go to winnipeg, you will be OUT OF ZONE. and all calls will be 35 cents per minute.  This is the only down fall of zone based unlimited plans.  They give you unlimited local calling in a pre-defined zone that is slightly larger than the LCA, however if you go outside this "zone" then you will incur OOZ charges.  The regular plans your local minutes will work in an LCA with local numbers only.  hope this clarifies.

I'm an Expert Level 2

Thanks Judhy. Someone explained to me that CityFido is no longer limited to just the 'home' zone but that it will follow you to any other City Fido Zone. Is that the case?

It is indeed, unless you have requested a monthly plan change prior to November 17th. All monthly plan changes to CityFido plans prior to that date still have single zone based plans.

where is the fido local calling area map? I want to know whats LD and whats not

Hello gladman,

The maps are currently unavailable as we are revamping them, but in the meantime, you can use My Account on your handset to know if a number is local or not.

I hope this helps!

That's not exactly helpful. I wanted to know if I could drop the LD feature of my phone, since customer service wasn't too sure what was LD and what was not in Toronto

Hello again,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

What are the places you wish to know about?

And just to confirm, it is from Toronto, correct?