Loading Fido Website without allowing the "assets.adobedtm.com"-Tracker impossible

Loading Fido Website without allowing the "assets.adobedtm.com"-Tracker impossible

BLUE2017
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi there,

I'm a more of a vigilant Internet user and while visiting a service website I at the same time try to avoid loading odd data from other (third party) websites, where I do not have any actual business with.

Unfortunately the Fido website is a bad example of actually enforcing their visitors to feed a tracker made by Adobe ("assets.adobedtm.com"). It seems to be impossible to load the Fido website ("My Account") without allowing access to the unwanted Adobe third party website at the same time. Service businesses like Fido, where the revenue is actually made by paying customers, should at least not enforce the use of trackers (with their very own industry behind it).

While I'm a very happy Fido customer, I do not consent to have to (well, "being enforced to") share my personal web access to the Fido website with odd third parties. Since far too many website developers and operators do not really care (yet) about people like me, I have to use technology ("Ad Blockers") to help myself to regain some space in this sad battle. Pure self defence.

I'm in a "dislike" mood about this topic for several reasons:

* I wasn't asked before, to have to feed another industry besides Fido.

* In this very case I'm technically unable to block that specific tracker on the Fido website without breaking the site ("website not loading or being still usable"), because Fido developers have built a kind of hard dependancy with it.

* The whole society is unaware of those things at all and is beeing overrun by the tracking industry, like in the wild west times, gold rush, whatever you want to call it. If nobody (like me) talks about such things, there is no discussion at all.

* Fido is not offering free service, which has to be refinanced through such a "backdoor". Fido gets quite high revenue within the mobile provider industry. As everybody knows, mobile rates are very high in Canada. They are among the highest compared to others in the world. There is no real need for Fido to beg for other money sources.

* The Fido website is quite laggy and still has some errors. I'm observing the same unset title-tag "global.pageTitle." variable error in some sub pages for years now, but that's just a funny and very minor thing, but speaks a bit itself about the missing eye for details on the developers side. There is really no need to make things worse, risky (security wise) or annoying using and enforcing some unnescessary third party stuff off from other websites on each page visit, making the website experience increasingly fragile.

Fido (and maybe Rogers behind it) should operate in the best interest of their very own customers, nobody else. Make the best website just for your customers, pure, sleek and blazingly fast. The Fido community will love it!

Thanks for reading!

BLUE2017

4 REPLIES 4
FidoPierre

Hey @BLUE2017

I wanted to reach out to apologize for the delay on getting back to you about this. I assure you we're still looking into it and will follow-up with you as soon as we can! 

BLUE2017
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hey @FidoPierre,

thanks for still having this on your agenda!

I did another article some time ago: Message 28836

The Fido website uses a dozen trackers ("third parties") and is doing it's user authentication by a foreign "sso" aka "single sign on" service in the United States. Both is a breach of trust.

You may like to considers this beeing an addendum to the issue I've described in this thread.

At least Fido/Rogers now present an explicit error message, so they know about issues with concerned users blocking unwanted third party stuff: Screenshot

Why should I update my browser settings? I'm not dumb nor crazy. I'll rush their kiosks for every single issue I have and will never use their website, as long as it is like it is right now.

Things are implemented with full intend. Those free running web developers know that secondary "behind-the-stage" business very well.

On some level Fido users can consider this beeing a rogue behavior of a paid service.

BLUE2017

Thanks again @BLUE2017 ! We'll keep you posted .

FidoPierre

Hey @BLUE2017

Welcome to the Community! Smiley 

Thank you for taking the time and sharing this feedback with us, I'll make sure to forward it to the right people to have them take a closer look into this.