Living in an extended coverage area. Extra fees? They will cut off service?

SOLVED
Jpost001
I'm a Participant Level 1

So I just joined up with Fido a few days ago (switched over from Koodo. My old phone broke and I needed a new one plus Fido's plans were better). I received a "You've recently ventured into an extended coverage area..." text today. All I did was literally drive to work and back home which are about 10 minutes apart. According to Fido's coverage map my area has LTE coverage but no supposedly the map is wrong. I spoke to customer service and they said I am in a roaming area and it's ok as long as I'm not there for more than 50% of the time. Well it's my home so.... I most likely will be. They said that well if that's the case then after a few months they might charge me extra or cut off my service for using outside towers. They is no way they can work around this and they said to just "wait and see". MAYBE in the future they will have a solution. But they can't tell me if I will have extra charges or get cut off or anything. My friend who lives right by me says she's with Fido and has never had any roaming fees or received any weird texts. 

What is up with this? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Living in an extended coverage area. Extra fees? They will cut off service?

Solved by MVP MVP

Hi @Jpost001

"Extended Coverage is meant for occasional use only and the policy is outlined in the Fido brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on fido.ca. 
Once at least 50% of your recent usage is done within the Extended Coverage network we block your access to the Extended network. 
You can still use your service on our network."

With that being said if you will be living in an extended network area then Fido may not be an option for you unless you have a WiFi calling capable phone then you can use WiFi calling when you are home.
View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Jpost001,

Welcome to the community!

I'm assuming you're referring to the coverage map on the Fido website. Unfortunately, that map is not very accurate. In fact, they note:

The map is a general representation of wireless coverage where indicated. The areas shown are approximate. Actual coverage area may vary from map graphics. ~ taken from here.

That is why I prefer to use the location of the cell towers as a better measure of coverage. You can get an idea of where the cell towers are in your area here

Extended coverage is the result of the roaming agreements between some of the mobile providers. I understand it's frustrating knowing that your extended coverage use might get restricted or limited if you exceed 50% usage. However, I don't think it's Fido who wants to limit your use of the service. It's likely the network you're roaming on. If you're spending the majority of your usage on their network, they would rather you pay them monthly fees rather than to their competitors.

I understand your work and home are rather close, however, the nature of cellular phones is that they are dependent on the location of cellular towers. When I was visiting Port Elgin over the summer, on one side of the street I was on Fido, but directly on the other side of the street I was roaming on Fido-EXT. Unfortunately, if you either live or work outside of the reach of Fido/Rogers towers, Fido may not be a suitable option for your situation.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hi @Jpost001

"Extended Coverage is meant for occasional use only and the policy is outlined in the Fido brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on fido.ca. 
Once at least 50% of your recent usage is done within the Extended Coverage network we block your access to the Extended network. 
You can still use your service on our network."

With that being said if you will be living in an extended network area then Fido may not be an option for you unless you have a WiFi calling capable phone then you can use WiFi calling when you are home.

Welcome to the community @Jpost001! Smiley

Just to add what Kapable-K said, you will not be charged extra for the extended network usage. You will simply be blocked once you reach the 50% of the usage. Did you had a chance to check our coverage here

You can try manually selecting the Fido network as well. It's possible the device is selecting the extended network since the signal is stronger than the Fido network if your very close to a border.