List of smartphones requiring no data plan?

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi, I am looking to get a new phone as my current one is semi-broken. I am looking into getting a smartphone but I do not want a data plan. I was wondering if anyone knows which phones currently being offered require no data plan? From another post, I found out that the Blackberry Curve 9360 doesn't require one, but that's about it. I am considering getting an agreement plus I have my Fido dollars, so the cost of the phone won't be too much of a problem, I hope. Thanks to whoever answers. 😃

On a side note, I would like a phone with the best battery life, so if you have any suggestions regarding that as well, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Accepted Solution

Re: List of smartphones requiring no data plan?

Solved by Fido Employee Bodimz

Yon,

At this point, there are two smartphones available on a 2 years agreement ,  no data.

BlackBerry Curve 9360  ; 0.00$ with 2 years agreement.

LG Optimus L7 ; 0.00$ with 2 years agreeement.

Hope this helps and have a nice day Yon !

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have a question and would appreciate your help. I am looking to get the Ace II x w/o a data plan for my wife.

Since it has A-GPS (assisted GPS), that means that it also uses info from the network when navigating. If she doesn't have a data plan, does it fall back to standard un-assissted GPS, and how does it perform then. (Her current Nokia C6 has a pethetic GPS w/o network assistance (takes 10-15 minutes to fix it's position).

Appreciate your help on this.

I'm Qualified Level 3

The Ace II x (and all phones with A-GPS) for that matter, already contains a GPS chip and can be used without the data. However, performance will be poor (as good as your Nokia C6 w/o network assistance).

To provide you with a bit more info... The Nokia series has the best GPS SOFTWARE of all the other phones due to offline maps and good interface. If you do decide to get a Ace IIx, you will lose that GPS software, Goggle maps, even if you download offline area, requires internet data when planning the route, but the interface is as good as Nokia maps.  There are apps on the Google Play store that can provide you with offline GPS driving, but they all cost money ($20 for canada on sale?) and the interface are inferior to Nokia's offerings.

My advice, get a data plan for your wife if you want to use Ace II + Google Maps for GPS. Otherwise get her a new Nokia Phone, the Lumia 620 is a good choice.

Fido Employee

Yon,

At this point, there are two smartphones available on a 2 years agreement ,  no data.

BlackBerry Curve 9360  ; 0.00$ with 2 years agreement.

LG Optimus L7 ; 0.00$ with 2 years agreeement.

Hope this helps and have a nice day Yon !

That helps a lot. Thanks~!

Yon,

Galaxy ACE II x as well at 0.00$ with 2 years agreement.

Cheers !

Um, how about if I don't get a 2 yr agreement? I can just buy the phone right? I have some Fido Dollars that I want to use up.

So far, I've narrowed it down to the Galaxy Ace II and LG Optimus L7. Just need to decide which features are more important to me. A faster processing speed, better video quality or better battery life. They seem pretty similar otherwise.

Community Manager

@Yon wrote:

Um, how about if I don't get a 2 yr agreement? I can just buy the phone right? I have some Fido Dollars that I want to use up.

So far, I've narrowed it down to the Galaxy Ace II and LG Optimus L7. Just need to decide which features are more important to me. A faster processing speed, better video quality or better battery life. They seem pretty similar otherwise.

Hi Yon,

FidoDOLLARS™ can certainly be used towards the full cost of a new phone.