Leaving Fido after 10 years-Boy has it gone downhill!!!

I'm a Participant Level 1 jenna77
I'm a Participant Level 1

Leaving Fido after 10 years-Boy has it gone downhill!!!

I just called Fido as a long term customer to try and change my plan to something that is better priced. I have information about a competitors plan that gives me 5X the data for half the price.  My first course of action was go into a fido store to review the pamplets about the plans available to see if I could get something similar without having to switch companies.  The salesperson asked what I was looking for and when I told her she asked me how long I had been with Fido. When I told her that it had been over 10 years I was assured that if I called customer service they would absolutely work something out for me.  

I called tonight and spoke with the first agent who was nice enough but had nothing of value to offer-not as much data for 50% more of the cost of the competitor.  I asked to speak with someone else and he indicated no one could offer me anything else.  Fine-I asked for what my termination fee would be and was quoted over $300. Sounds bad...but given that the other plan would save me over $40 a month for 5X the data AND had an introductory credit of 100...I would make up that loss in just a few weeks of leaving.  He thin said he would put me through to customer relations to see what else they could come up with. After a very long wait (he came back 4 times to apologize for thelong wait and confirm we were still holding...) we got through to a curt sounding person with no urge to help me.  She offered me some other type of plan...smart vs the max that I am on now...still 50% more expensive and still not as much data.  I really did not see anything about what the first rep offered. She reconfirmed cancellation cost which I will gladly pay.. She chose to be argumentative when I mentioned that I would not have waited if there really was nothing they could do for me, instead of acting at all concerned or appologetic and this only reaffimed that Fido is not what it used to be!  If they do not offer competitive rates even for long time customers and are miserable as well, they really have nothing I need!  Farewell and good riddance!

Accepted Solution

Re: Leaving Fido after 10 years-Boy has it gone downhill!!!

Hi jenna77.

Sorry to hear you are leaving Fido, but I think you are missing some steps in your decision to switch and playing right by the wirless carriers handbook to make money out of you. Hope you can read this and evaluate your decision before you make the switch.

First, let me repeat the fact that Fido (or any wireless carriers) hates loyal customers, especially the long term ones, this is becuase we often have a cheaper wireless plan than current subscribers and we often demand more value when renewing our contracts. Wireless carriers would LOVE to kick you away, subscribe to another carrier (most likely 1 of the other big 3), use it for 2 years, then found out the faults of the other carriers and come back to Fido afterwards as a NEW customer, paying the promotion deal of the quarter (which is likely more expensive than your previous grandfathered plan).

jenna77 from your post description it sounds like you don't have access to the $55/5GB plans from fido (limited by province) and maybe have a non big 3 carrier in your area? likely wind or mobilcity if you are in Toronto or Vancover?  If that's the case, please be warned, some carriers uses a different wireless signal than what the big 3 provides. Do not be blinded by price alone, make sure your current phone is compatible with the new carrier, also check the reception quality of your new carrier especially at your home and place of work. a cheaper plan means nothing if you constantly get bad reception.

If your new carrier does work for your cellphone and recieve good coverage then switch away! Good luck!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3
Solution

Re: Leaving Fido after 10 years-Boy has it gone downhill!!!

Hi jenna77.

Sorry to hear you are leaving Fido, but I think you are missing some steps in your decision to switch and playing right by the wirless carriers handbook to make money out of you. Hope you can read this and evaluate your decision before you make the switch.

First, let me repeat the fact that Fido (or any wireless carriers) hates loyal customers, especially the long term ones, this is becuase we often have a cheaper wireless plan than current subscribers and we often demand more value when renewing our contracts. Wireless carriers would LOVE to kick you away, subscribe to another carrier (most likely 1 of the other big 3), use it for 2 years, then found out the faults of the other carriers and come back to Fido afterwards as a NEW customer, paying the promotion deal of the quarter (which is likely more expensive than your previous grandfathered plan).

jenna77 from your post description it sounds like you don't have access to the $55/5GB plans from fido (limited by province) and maybe have a non big 3 carrier in your area? likely wind or mobilcity if you are in Toronto or Vancover?  If that's the case, please be warned, some carriers uses a different wireless signal than what the big 3 provides. Do not be blinded by price alone, make sure your current phone is compatible with the new carrier, also check the reception quality of your new carrier especially at your home and place of work. a cheaper plan means nothing if you constantly get bad reception.

If your new carrier does work for your cellphone and recieve good coverage then switch away! Good luck!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 2