LTE speed is s...l...o...w

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 SamAtHonda
I'm a Participant Level 3

LTE speed is s...l...o...w

I have the $15 3GB tablet plan. I just need it between my work and home . Both end has excellent wifi to cover. 

I work at richmond automall. consider it is in city, right?

I run serveral test , just google "speed test mobile" and select the google test without download and install any app. the download speed is between 2 to 7 Mbps, upload speed is between 0.5 to 2 Mbps. Ping latency is around 50 ms. The time of doing this was about 2 pm. with 3 collegues and they all like this . shocked all of them. 

I compared with a few guys here with rogers and bell and telus. they are download 22 to 45 Mbps and upload 30 to 60Mbps. 

I phoned customer service, they said it is everything normal on their side. I will bring my phone to a fido store and test there. 

My phone have no problem because I even swap a bell sim card from a guy and getting same result with his phone which is every good. 

Anyone can have a answer for that. The speed I am getting is not acceptable , it was not LTE. not even 4G. 

Accepted Solution

Re: LTE speed is s...l...o...w

Hello SamAtHonda,

Welcome to the community!

There are a number of factors which can affect data speeds, including (but not limited to) distance from cellular towers, strength of signal, frequency at which device is connected, potential interference, carrier aggregation, network congestion, etc... so different locations and situations will likely result in differing speeds. My most recent Speedtest results were 21.2 Mbps download and 5.32 Mbps upload, but that doesn't mean much to you since my location and situation are not the same as yours.

These are the cellular towers in the area:

Richmond Auto.jpg

~taken from here.

So there appears to be towers close to that location. Are the speeds of your co-workers faster at your place of work as well? In that area, there do not appear to be any Bell or Telus cellular towers, so they would likely be using the same Fido/Rogers cellular towers.

What device are you using? Have you verified it has all of the necessary compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify those here. Have you verified it is using the proper APN? If the device is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here.

Is your device capable of carrier aggregation? The bandwidth for Fido should be the same as that for Rogers (and Bell, Telus) at that location. One possible difference could be carrier aggregation. That is, those devices might be able to combine the bandwidth from both band 4 and band(s) 12/17 whereas your device might only be able to access bandwidth from one of those bands.

In addition, to which band your device connects could also affect speeds. The different frequencies have varying characteristics. For example, the higher frequencies generally have a greater potential bandwidth than the lower frequencies (see table here). On the other hand, the higher frequencies tend to decay faster. That is, they do not travel as far, nor penetrate as well as the lower frequencies (see graphic here). So, it could be that given your location, your phone might only be able to connect to the slower 700MHz.

But that doesn't explain why those others might be able to aggregate from band 4 but your device is not be able to connect. Well, different devices can also vary in their antenna strength. Some devices might be able to pick up weaker signals than other devices.

I understand that these are a lot of should's, might's, could's, but there are so many factors which can affect data speeds (let alone cellular signal) that no provider can guarantee speeds (or coverage).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6

can someone use same method to test and report here to compare? 

Just use google to search "speed test mobile", and it will come up with a google test there , no need to install any other app.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6

Hello @SamAtHonda and welcome to the Community.

You definitely should have a better speed then that.

That low speed only happens when you are in the train?

Also did this problem start from the moment you first got your 3GB tablet plan?

Let us know.

@Community: Anyone had a chance to try this test?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6

Hi, I work at richmond automall in BC, richmond is urban area. It happens at my home and at my work . I actually have 2 3GB sim . one for my wife , one for me . Both have the same speed. and one has been with fido more than 2 years. 

I really don't think it is because of the plan. because I have checked with a few guys at work with fido's regular voice and data plan. they have the same LTE data speed like me. --- same sucks speed. We were laughing so baddly when we compare to a rogers, bell, or telus. We are laughing at ourself ofcourse.

I have already test a few times at different time frame. at 8pm at night , the speed is about 3M download and 1M upload. this morning I test again at 9:00am, a bit better, 10.6M download and 1.94M upload. 

One thing in my mind is fido have every limited bandwidth that if during the day, more people are using the data. it is slow down a big time. while the big three have more bandwidth so they are more consistence during the whole day period. 

But, that is not a excuse. because if they are this slow, even 10.6M in the early morning compare to others still twice to three times slower. use this data with some VOIP provider , the voice is not so clear due to packet lose. I have tested that with Fongo which my wife is using that. 

I will go to a fido store and see what will the staff's phone speed . 

I really think fido should tell the public there LTE speed  are like this. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello SamAtHonda,

Welcome to the community!

There are a number of factors which can affect data speeds, including (but not limited to) distance from cellular towers, strength of signal, frequency at which device is connected, potential interference, carrier aggregation, network congestion, etc... so different locations and situations will likely result in differing speeds. My most recent Speedtest results were 21.2 Mbps download and 5.32 Mbps upload, but that doesn't mean much to you since my location and situation are not the same as yours.

These are the cellular towers in the area:

Richmond Auto.jpg

~taken from here.

So there appears to be towers close to that location. Are the speeds of your co-workers faster at your place of work as well? In that area, there do not appear to be any Bell or Telus cellular towers, so they would likely be using the same Fido/Rogers cellular towers.

What device are you using? Have you verified it has all of the necessary compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify those here. Have you verified it is using the proper APN? If the device is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here.

Is your device capable of carrier aggregation? The bandwidth for Fido should be the same as that for Rogers (and Bell, Telus) at that location. One possible difference could be carrier aggregation. That is, those devices might be able to combine the bandwidth from both band 4 and band(s) 12/17 whereas your device might only be able to access bandwidth from one of those bands.

In addition, to which band your device connects could also affect speeds. The different frequencies have varying characteristics. For example, the higher frequencies generally have a greater potential bandwidth than the lower frequencies (see table here). On the other hand, the higher frequencies tend to decay faster. That is, they do not travel as far, nor penetrate as well as the lower frequencies (see graphic here). So, it could be that given your location, your phone might only be able to connect to the slower 700MHz.

But that doesn't explain why those others might be able to aggregate from band 4 but your device is not be able to connect. Well, different devices can also vary in their antenna strength. Some devices might be able to pick up weaker signals than other devices.

I understand that these are a lot of should's, might's, could's, but there are so many factors which can affect data speeds (let alone cellular signal) that no provider can guarantee speeds (or coverage).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6

thanks Cawtau, I found out that I should change the APN seting to ltemobile.apn instead of the core one. However, the speed where I work got better but still a lot worse than other provider.  

agian. It is not my phone . I have a Mi mix 2 which has almost all the band available for the world. and I swaped to other guy's other providers card. it  was good just like other guys. 

I did went to my local provider in delta, I tried at the booth. the speed acutally a lot better than richmond automall area. I can see the result is so unconsistent. maybe that is the result of not be a top tier service provider.

I think I have to live with that. over all, the $15 3GB data plan is the only one out there so far.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6