LTE and MMS not working

LTE and MMS not working

LTE and MMS not working

mnicholas
I'm a Contributor Level 1

LTE and MMS not working

Please help.  I recently purchased Dual Sim Elephone P9000 and am attempting to use it as my daily driver.  I have two Fido lines with two Fido SIM cards.  One card is 2 weeks old, the other 10 months or so.  The phone supports LTE yet I am only able to access 3G and am not able to send or receive MMS.  I tried using a different messaging platform, Hanouts, to no avail.  I also have tried switching Active data between the two lines.... also to know avail.  From reading other forums I believe the problem lies in the APN's...... PLEASE HELP

13 REPLIES 13
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@mnicholas wrote:

Please help.  I recently purchased Dual Sim Elephone P9000 and am attempting to use it as my daily driver.  I have two Fido lines with two Fido SIM cards.  One card is 2 weeks old, the other 10 months or so.  The phone supports LTE yet I am only able to access 3G and am not able to send or receive MMS.  I tried using a different messaging platform, Hanouts, to no avail.  I also have tried switching Active data between the two lines.... also to know avail.  From reading other forums I believe the problem lies in the APN's...... PLEASE HELP

Hello Mnicholas,

Welcome to the community!

Is this the phone you have? According to the specification listed on that website, that phone has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. However, that phone looks to only have one of the compatible bands/frequencies for LTE, band 7 or 2600 MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. Coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. You can get an idea of the bands/frequencies supported by your local towers here

With regards to the APN, since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here

With regards to sending and receiving MMS, your phone will have to have turn on data. While data needs to be turned on, the data is handled differently from other data. The data used within a MMS is not accounted against any data allotments. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mnicholas

Thanks for the reply.  Data is turned on, as well as roaming.  Still not able to send or download MMS.  YES that is the phone, I have the P9000 and NOT the P9000 Lite.  I am downtown Winnipeg and there is a Rogers tower nearby with 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies.... Still only getting 3G network access.

@mnicholas wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Data is turned on, as well as roaming.  Still not able to send or download MMS.  YES that is the phone, I have the P9000 and NOT the P9000 Lite.  I am downtown Winnipeg and there is a Rogers tower nearby with 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies.... Still only getting 3G network access.

Hello again,

From what I understand, both versions of the phone have the same bands/frequencies. Unfortunately I do not believe Manitoba uses band 7 or 2600 MHz as one of their LTE bands/frequencies. So you will be left to use the UMTS or '3G' network **edit** (or GSM/2G network)**. Both HSPA (H or 3G) and HSPA+ (H+ or 4G) use the same network. If you're getting 3G then you're on the UMTS network. Getting 4G would only depend on strength of the connection. What is the strength of your 3G connection?

What is happening when you cannot send/receive MMS? Could it be due to a weak signal connection?

**edit** Are you able to send/receive texts at all? Have you verified the message centre number?**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mnicholas

Hi thanks again for helping me with this.

I am getting strong 3G signal.  From what I can see there aren't any Rogers 2600 frequency towers in Winnipeg Sad  

Txt messages send fine.  When I receive a picture via mms it will show that it is available to "download".  When I click the dowloand button it switches to "dowloading" for about 8 seconds but then switches back to the "download" button.  My phone will notifiy me in the notification centre that is was unable to download.

When I try and send a picture vis MMS it goes "sending" but then will give the little red triangle in the bottom right corner showing it hasn't gone through.

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@mnicholas Make sure you enable data roaming, check this post here to make sure you phone have the correct bands for FIDO and use these APN setting.

APN: ltemobile.apn

Username: <not set>

Password: <not set>

Authentication type: <not set>

Proxy: <not set>

Port: <not set>

MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca

MMS proxy : 205.151.11.13

MMS port : 80

MCC: 302
MNC: 370

APN type: default,mms

Press the Options button on your device, tap on Save in order to save the APN settings

Restart the phone and try browsing the Internet.

NOTE: The created APN will show up on the APNs screen. To activate the APN, tap on the radio button located in front of APN.

mnicholas

Data is enabled.

All setting are correct in APN menu.

Data roaming is enabled.

Still only have 3G internet access and am not able to download the MMS messages I have received and can't send MMS. 

@mnicholas wrote:

Data is enabled.

All setting are correct in APN menu.

Data roaming is enabled.

Still only have 3G internet access and am not able to download the MMS messages I have received and can't send MMS. 

Hello again,

Are you able to use other data even though it might be at 3G?

One other thing to note in the APN setings would be the APN protocol. I believe Fido/Rogers uses IPv4.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mnicholas

Also.... APN protocol is set to IPv4..... 

Hello again,

Are you still having issues with MMS? I found this thread on the Elephone forum. Seems as though others are unable to send/receive MMS even though they have verified APNs as well. Perhaps there is an issue with their software? Does your phone have the most recent software update?

Also, what version of Hangouts are you using? Apparently, some users are having trouble with MMS using Hangouts 4.0 (see here).

Are there any unused APNs on your phone? If there are, you might consider deleting them.

Have you tried to do a soft reset? Or a hard reset?

Cheers

mnicholas

Also...

Tried deleting the other APN's but I only the option to SAVE or DISCARD when I make changes to it.

Hello again,

Just to clarify, are you trying to use both SIMs in your phone Elephone simultaneously? Initially, I assumed your two lines were on two different phones but after re-reading your original post, I'm thinking you might be trying to use the dual-SIM functionality. Not sure if it relates to your current MMS/data issues, but I don't believe Fido supports dual SIM services (see here).

Also to clarify, had you been able to previously use data (3G)? That is, you are now not able to receive data -- is this a new issue? Is the issue with all apps or just some? Have you tried a download speed test?

Cheers 

mnicholas

Haven't had time to keep trouble shooting as unfortunately I need MMS messaging for work so i've put the device on hold.  

But yes I was using the a fido SIM in each slot and using the phone as Dual SIM.  3G data would work fine on both SIM slots, and I could swith between which SIM i wanted to use for data.  MMS was/is not working on either line/SIM slot.  

mnicholas

HI There,

Yes still having issues with MMS.  I did a complete reset on the phone and when it turned it on the 3G symbol was showing but I wasn't able to receive data.  Had to connect to WIFI to add accounts to the phone.