LTE Bands

LTE Bands

LTE Bands

SOLVED
ShawnK
I'm a Contributor Level 1

LTE Bands

What LTE bands does Fido support?

Are there differences based on region? (if so what bands are used in the greater Toronto area)

Accepted Solution

Re: LTE Bands

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@ShawnK wrote:

Are there differences based on region? (if so what bands are used in the greater Toronto area)

Hello ShawnK,

To add to FidoRachel's post above, Fido also uses band 12 (700 MHz) in some provinces (see here). You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here

Yes, there are some regional differences (ie no 2600 MHz in Manitoba). While the GTA would have all of the bands/frequencies deployed, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all bands/frequencies are available on every tower. So even if your area has a band/frequency deployed, it may not be available at the cell tower closest to your location. You can get an idea of the bands/frequencies of the towers in your area using cellular tower mapping sites, such as here

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@ShawnK wrote:

Hello ShawnK,

To add to FidoRachel's post above, Fido also uses band 12 (700 MHz) in some provinces (see here). You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here

Yes, there are some regional differences (ie no 2600 MHz in Manitoba). While the GTA would have all of the bands/frequencies deployed, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all bands/frequencies are available on every tower. So even if your area has a band/frequency deployed, it may not be available at the cell tower closest to your location. You can get an idea of the bands/frequencies of the towers in your area using cellular tower mapping sites, such as here

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ShawnK
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Ok follow up question then; since my new device is band 4/5/7 are there any areas that are 12/17 only? (eg any coverage areas where I would have issues?)

@ShawnK wrote:

Ok follow up question then; since my new device is band 4/5/7 are there any areas that are 12/17 only? (eg any coverage areas where I would have issues?)

Hello again,

Follow-up answer then... You shouldn't really have issues with coverage in the GTA. Band 4 is the more widely used band. Bands 7 and 17 (and now 12) were deployed as additional bandwidth.

That said, the 700 MHz spectrum (bands 12 and 17) would be better able to travel farther and have more penetrative ability than the higher frequencies. So if you were on the edge of a coverage zone with all three bands, your phone might not connect to LTE since bands 4 and 7 might not reach that distance. Additionally, depending on the amount of interference (trees, hills, buildings, etc) between the tower and your phone, there may be situations where your phone might not be able to connect to LTE but another phone with 700 MHz could.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @ShawnK!

That would mean LTE only, you'll get 3G everywhere on our network and LTE in most of the places. We don't have an area with LTE only. 

No worries in that case, you'll be covered Smiley

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey @ShawnK, to access LTE network, your phone must be compatible with:

700 MHz on Band 17;
1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
2600 MHz on Band 7.

It's the same across the country Smiley