LTE Bands B1/3/5/7/8 what does this mean???

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

LTE Bands B1/3/5/7/8 what does this mean???

hey so im looking at getting a new phone and LTE is absolutely mandatory for me. Its an oppo r7 plus.

heres a link
http://na.oppostyle.com/r7-plus-flash-sale

can someone tell me if this would work on LTE ? or of the phone would work at all???

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100MHz
LTE Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/TD-40

much appreciated

Accepted Solution

Re: LTE Bands B1/3/5/7/8 what does this mean???

Hi @helly604

This is what the phone will need in work on Fido's network.

Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:

• 700 MHz on Band 17;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

From the details you provided it looks like it will only work with band 7 for Fido's LTE network which means you will not always get LTE speeds depending where you are. GSM and HSPA is fine.

You can get the full details of how to configure an unlock phone here.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Solution

Hi @helly604

This is what the phone will need in work on Fido's network.

Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:

• 700 MHz on Band 17;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

From the details you provided it looks like it will only work with band 7 for Fido's LTE network which means you will not always get LTE speeds depending where you are. GSM and HSPA is fine.

You can get the full details of how to configure an unlock phone here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@helly604 wrote:

hey so im looking at getting a new phone and LTE is absolutely mandatory for me. Its an oppo r7 plus.

heres a link
http://na.oppostyle.com/r7-plus-flash-sale

can someone tell me if this would work on LTE ? or of the phone would work at all???

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100MHz
LTE Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/TD-40

much appreciated

**Edited to add labels**

Hello Helly604,

Welcome to the community!

The bands refer to specific frequency segments of the radio spectrum that the phone or cellular provider use. For proper communication, at least some of the bands need to match. While phone manufacturers or cellular providers sometimes also refer to the frequencies -- ie 700 MHz -- they don't actually use the whole 700 MHz spectrum; they only use a specific portion of it. Sometimes the frequency spectrum is broken up into multiple segments or bands. For example, bands 12, 13, 14, 17 all have their frequencies in the 700 MHz range. So the bands give a more specific information regarding the radio spectrum frequencies.

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have all of the bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G' (GSM and WCDMA, respectively). So there should be no issues with that phone on those networks. With regards to LTE, that phone would only have one of the compatible bands/frequencies, band 7 or 2600 MHz. While the phone would work on the LTE network, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. You can also verify the bands frequencies here.

If you are interested in more detail regarding the different bands/frequencies, I have previously posted more thorough explanations. Feel free to peruse some of my earlier posts.

Hope this helps! Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted

thank you for your quick reply !

so if i want the best LTE experience i should get a phone with all 3 bands. band 4 7 17 ? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@helly604 wrote:

thank you for your quick reply !

so if i want the best LTE experience i should get a phone with all 3 bands. band 4 7 17 ? 

Hello again,

Yes, for the best chances of getting LTE reception, you should get a phone with all of the LTE bands. In some provinces, Rogers/Fido has also implemented band 12 (see here). Ideally, you would want all 4 bands...

With regards to the best LTE experience, bands 4 and 7 have the widest bandwidth so they would potentially be the fastest (see here). Note that speeds would vary (even on bands 4 and 7) depending on signal strength, network congestion, other apps using data, etc.

**edit** Aside: For the best data experience, you should also look for a phone with both of the compatible WCDMA (UMTS or '3G') bands. If you're outside of LTE coverage, you might still get 3G (H) or even 4G (H+) speeds.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5