LTE Band 17 on Prepaid

LTE Band 17 on Prepaid

LTE Band 17 on Prepaid

SOLVED
keroro
I'm a Contributor Level 1

LTE Band 17 on Prepaid

I have an unlocked phone from overseas which supports Band 17 LTE among the bands Fido uses.  However I am unable to use LTE with my prepaid account (with 500MB/month data subscribed).  When searching networks manually on my phone I do see Rogers' LTE network but unfortunately only WCDMA under Fido's network.  I am wondering if there is anything Fido needs to set for my account?  The nano-SIM I'm currently using was purchased at around November 2014.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: LTE Band 17 on Prepaid

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@keroro wrote:

There is no word LTE on my SIM however I thought at the time I purchased it all SIMs were already LTE SIMs.  How can I identify for sure?

Hello Keroro,

Are you able to test your SIM in a different LTE phone? If it doesn't specify LTE on the SIM it's possible it isn't LTE capable. Alternatively, you might consider going to a Fido store and ask them to try a LTE SIM in your phone (or test your SIM in their phone).

@keroro wrote:

My phone is compatible with Band 17 only so previously I thought it is just because Band 17 is unavailable in my area.  However when I play around with search network on my phone it sees Rogers' LTE but only Fido's WCDMA so it makes me wonder.

Did you try to access the Rogers LTE network? Since Fido also uses the Rogers network, their names are often interchangable. If your phone is automatically connecting to the '3G' network, it's possible the LTE signal is relatively poor in your area. That said, if your phone can see the network, you should be able to access it (providing your SIM is indeed LTE-capable).

@keroro wrote:

Regarding to the tower map I don't see any 700MHz in my area (Greater Vancouver).  I thought I received a text message before that LTE was upgraded in my area.  Kinda confusing when this info is not available on the coverage map from Fido's website.

Unfortunately, that cell tower site has not yet been updated to include the 700MHz towers. There are some other cell tower location sites which do include those towers, but they are more confusing to reference. Rogers' 700MHz coverage is relatively sparse compared to the other bands/frequencies. I believe the text message you received was in reference to upgrading the towers to include band 12. During the 700MHz auction in 2014, Rogers acquired the block A spectrum in many parts of the country, including British Columbia (see here). Previously, Rogers' 700MHz spectrum was band 17 only. The acquisition of block A means that, in those provinces, Rogers can utilise both bands 12 and 17. Since the upgrade didn't necessarly add new cell towers, coverage would likely have remained the same.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
KAPABLE-K
MVP

First you should make sure you have a LTE SIM it should indicate on the SIM card, If you only have band 17 it could be the area you are in does not have that band availabe. Rogers and Fido uses the same network.

Also make sure you have the correct APN settings you can get that here.

Edit: You can view which towers are in your area here.

keroro

There is no word LTE on my SIM however I thought at the time I purchased it all SIMs were already LTE SIMs.  How can I identify for sure?

My phone is compatible with Band 17 only so previously I thought it is just because Band 17 is unavailable in my area.  However when I play around with search network on my phone it sees Rogers' LTE but only Fido's WCDMA so it makes me wonder.

I have checked APN it is set correctly to LTEMOBILE.APN

Regarding to the tower map I don't see any 700MHz in my area (Greater Vancouver).  I thought I received a text message before that LTE was upgraded in my area.  Kinda confusing when this info is not available on the coverage map from Fido's website.

@keroro wrote:

Hello Keroro,

Are you able to test your SIM in a different LTE phone? If it doesn't specify LTE on the SIM it's possible it isn't LTE capable. Alternatively, you might consider going to a Fido store and ask them to try a LTE SIM in your phone (or test your SIM in their phone).

@keroro wrote:

Did you try to access the Rogers LTE network? Since Fido also uses the Rogers network, their names are often interchangable. If your phone is automatically connecting to the '3G' network, it's possible the LTE signal is relatively poor in your area. That said, if your phone can see the network, you should be able to access it (providing your SIM is indeed LTE-capable).

@keroro wrote:

Unfortunately, that cell tower site has not yet been updated to include the 700MHz towers. There are some other cell tower location sites which do include those towers, but they are more confusing to reference. Rogers' 700MHz coverage is relatively sparse compared to the other bands/frequencies. I believe the text message you received was in reference to upgrading the towers to include band 12. During the 700MHz auction in 2014, Rogers acquired the block A spectrum in many parts of the country, including British Columbia (see here). Previously, Rogers' 700MHz spectrum was band 17 only. The acquisition of block A means that, in those provinces, Rogers can utilise both bands 12 and 17. Since the upgrade didn't necessarly add new cell towers, coverage would likely have remained the same.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

keroro

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks very much for your detailed response.  After fiddling around with the network settings my phone finally able to connect to the Fido LTE network!  I don't know why for some reasons I have to allow data roaming in order to connect to LTE.  Without that it only connects to 3G.

Glad that it works now!  Smiley

Awesome!!

Great to hear it's working for you! Smiley

I forgot to mention data roaming to you; I'm glad you figured it out for yourself! Some phones from overseas think they are roaming when they are outside of their home areas even when using local SIMs. Strange that it only affected LTE on your phone... Were you able to use data when connected to the '3G' network?

Cheers

keroro

Yes previously I could use data on 3G without any problem so I have never thought about enabling data roaming. Surprised

Hey @keroro Smiley

Make sure your phone is configured to work on our network. Details on that HERE

Cheers!