LG Gossip

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

LG Gossip

My girlfriend just bought the LG Gossip. I was thinking about buying it also with my Fidodollars. Does anyone have information on what they think of the phone? Does it work well, etc?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 31
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Re: LG Gossip

Hi,

I did that about a month or so ago. I used my fido dollars to upgrade.  I really like the phone and have not had any problems so far. I do however notice that the directional pad in the center, or whatever it is called is starting to slow down in response time.  I do not think this phone will last me more than one year. But it also depends on your usage. I like to use it as an mp3 player frequently, and I also use the radio feature on it daily on my commute to work. So if you are going to be with fido for the long haul, I would recommend getting this phone with your fido dollars. But I do not recommend this phone for purchase with cash. 

To sum up:

Pros:

-easy to text, multi-threaded text messages

-radio tuner built in

-mp3 player (based on memory card)

Cons:

-takes time getting used to keyboard

-somewhat delicate phone

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 31
Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the tips on the LG Jan!

Our goal for the Fido Technical Commnuity is to provide a venue where customers can help each other with technical questions. We're going to be flexible with this as customers learn the community guidelines.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 31
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

@ Jan..

When you say it's slow to respond, what do you mean?  Sorry if I seem thick, but I'm looking to upgrade to this when I renew my contract and I don't want to be stuck with a phone that doesn't do what I need it to do until I can get another one.

Thanks in advance

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 31
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

@lindam

Hey,

The slowness is not an everyday occurence. Its just an occasional problem. My other possible explanation for this is that it might be my big fingers pressing down on more then 1 direction at a time that is causing this. Hope this better explains the issue.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 31
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

I got this phone on September 1st and it's a pretty nice phone.

A few issues I've noticed with this phone:

# Fido IM will randomly pop up while on other applications.

# Sometimes the battery bars will not go down, and the phone will shut off without warning (the battery is dead when you turn it back on)

# The built-in internet browser is really slow (this can be fixed by downloading Opera Mini and using that)

One thing that's really annoying is if you turn on the FM radio it wont allow you to use other applications (such as Opera Mini or Gmail Mobile). You can get around this though by starting up the application you want to use first, and then starting up the FM Radio. It seems kind of silly that this warning pops up in the first place, especially if it's so easily circumvented.

Other than that it's a really nice phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 31
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

I got it a little over a week ago and used most of the features. I got it free because I got a contract. My IM was not working at first it said to upgrade software, then I upgraded it and it works fine, I can use MSN even though I don't have data plan. The keyboard is pretty sturdy, I never used to text on my old phone, but now text more than talk.

As for the complaints where it signs you into IM automatically, its usually because you did not sign out from the last time u used it. Don't just click the red end button. Go to options->exit->sign out then exit from IM. It used to do that to me too and then when I started signing out it stopped.

As for the slowing down, I have read about this in other places, the way to avoid it is to close your other applications if you are not using them. The phone lets you go to the main menu while doing other things like if you are playing a flash game you can go to the main menu and send a text msg and come back and resume the game from where you left off. I guess a lot of people just switch to the menu without ending the application, this obviously would slow it down.

I also had trouble with transferring things to and from the phone. The manual that you download from the fido website says to install pc suite, which is supposed to come with the phone but fido does not give the cd. The lady at customer service said to call lg and ask them for it. Apparently someone else called lg and they tell you to ask fido for it. But I managed to find a way, you use the external memory as usb. you need to connect it as mass storage. but you can only do this if the micro sd card is inside. Then it acts like a usb with various folders. if you plug in the usb it just asks u if you want to connect as mass storage or pc suite, pick mass storage. If you don't want to do this, go to menu, settings, connectivity, usb ..., select mass storage.

Like I said, I have only had the phone for a little over a week, but by playing around and reading in other places I haven't really found any problems. There is some good discussion on the phone on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFXqeWoHwos if you can't click through or there's something wrong with the link go to youtube and type "lg gossip review" its the first result. There's a black girl giving a review of the phone. Check the comments there. I did this and more before I decided to get the phone. Hopefully it doesn't break down on me or anything.

Fido seriously needs to get better phones. Their smartphones are starting to get good but their regular phones need better selection. The only non-smart phone that they offer that got really good reviews is the Sony Ericsson Naite, but I decided to still get the lg gossip.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 31
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

I have a question that might sound stupid, so I apologize in advance  Wink

I use my SD card on my current phone to transfer mostly photos.  Can I not do the same thing if I had the Gossip?  Just pop out the SD card and plug it into my computer? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 31
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

yes you can.  As long as the card you have is micro SD as that is the card that the LG gossip uses.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 31
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

I own many Fido handsets including this one. Here is my independent review of this phone:

It is interesting that they chose the name "Gossip" for this phone. Compared to my old LG Shine, the speaker is very hard to hear even with all of the volume settings turned up all the way. A speakerphone mode is available to correct the volume problem, but then everyone around you can listen in on the conversation, so it is not a perfect solution.

And neither are the headphones, that come with the device. Whoever designed them must have giant ears because they are made of hard plastic and are huge. They are not very comfortable at all is what I am saying. To make matters worse, the radio antenna on the phone was designed inside the headphone attachment, so you can't even replace them with a more comfortable pair to listen to the radio.

The design of the power cable, on the other hand, is smart and beautiful. You can detach the charger into two pieces: the USB cable, and the pronged power outlet connector. This allows you to charge your phone anywhere that there is a USB port, such as a school computer.

Even if you turn the sound volume on your phone down to zero, the phone will still continue to make sounds if you recieve text messages or voice mails. There doesn't appear to be any way to put the phone into a 100% silent mode, which is important when I go to the movies.

The phone takes up to 30 seconds just to power on. And the create text message button, that looks like an envelope, isn't usable for the first 5-10 seconds after the phone is supposedly powered on. It just keeps saying 'message initializing' and nothing happens.

Even with the 'unlimited mobile browsing' option that Fido offers, which can support browsing youtube videos on other Fido phone models, it is impossible to do so on the Gossip. This is especially depressing because under 'media' on the phone there is a section titled 'flash content' which gave me the impression that the phone would be able to render Flash.

The keyboard is the #1 selling point of this phone and the saving grace of this phone. The keys feel extremely responsive when pressed, and I was pleased to see that there are more than one 'modifier' button.

there is no way to 'delete all' of your sent messages or change the setting so that a copy of every text message you send is not automatically saved. the only way to free up handset memory is to manually delete each one individually

Verdict:
Buy this phone if you want a cheap and OK keyboard phone. If budget allows, go for the blackberry 8520 instead.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 31