LG G5 Nougat Update

LG G5 Nougat Update

LG G5 Nougat Update

SOLVED
binghamfamily
I'm a Contributor Level 1

LG G5 Nougat Update

I have been reading on forums that the LG G5 is supposed to be receiving the Nougat update November..some say Mid-November... Do we know a date at all - or is it still just going as "mid november"?

Accepted Solution

Re: LG G5 Nougat Update

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@binghamfamily wrote:

I have been reading on forums that the LG G5 is supposed to be receiving the Nougat update November..some say Mid-November... Do we know a date at all - or is it still just going as "mid november"?

Hello Binghamfamily,

From what I have read, there are rumours that LG might release the android 7 Nougat update for the LG G5 some time in November. However, that is largely speculation based on how quickly LG released Marshmallow. No one will know for sure when it will be released by LG.

In addition, once a mobile phone company releases an update, it needs to get tested and tweaked by the service providers before it will get released to customers. The exception to that rule would be the Nexus phones. Once the service providers have the update, no one will know when it will eventually get released to customers until it is officially released. Your best option is to keep an eye on the OS update schedule.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
22 REPLIES 22
crsmejia

Update is up
Phildo13
I'm a Participant Level 1

Now third world countries in Africa have the nougat update. Way to go Fido.
EFTC
I'm Qualified Level 1

Which 3rd world country?  They have cell phone service there?

OliE_420

Update available 21th December !!!!

http://forums.fido.ca/html/assets/OSUpgSchedule.html

binghamfamily

Has anyone tried LG Bridge to see if available yet and have any success?

OliE_420

Tried yesterday, still no success Sad 

Hey everyone, we're aiming for a December 21st release. Keep an eye out!

binghamfamily

Thank you @FidoStephen for the update... My Birthday is Dec 20th so that would be a fantastic birthday present Smiley 

Woojung
I'm a Participant Level 1

I think it will be soon.

LG start LG G5 Nougat update today (08 Nov) in South Korean 

OliE_420

Sprint released the OTA update of Nougat on G5 2 days ago... I hope it's coming soon !

Sometimes updates can be made before OTA using LG Softwares (LG Bridge)... I did that for 6.0 on my Fido G3 Smiley

binghamfamily

I tried the LG Bridge last night...didnt work at least yet lol. Really excited for the update.
OliE_420

T-Mobile unleashed the update today !

Soon I guess... 

OliE_420

Verizon gets the update today... Come on Fido ! It can't be that hard to apply the Fido logo on the build !

EFTC
I'm Qualified Level 1

Fido please don't rush.

I don't need to have the latest and greatest (I would have gotten the Pixel XL if I wanted to run the latest Android OS), but I do need a phone that works.

Please feel free to delay it a bit so your team can fully test it out.  I don't know about other people but I sure do not want to have to download a 500 MB OS update twice.

AlexPark
I'm a Participant Level 3

No, they should be working hard to get it out soon given most countries' carriers already have rolled out Nougat for their customers.

They haven't even updated the site to give us a specific date as to when we can expect it.  It can't be that difficult to optimize it for Fido.

EFTC
I'm Qualified Level 1

It is easy to be optimized for Fido. That's LG's job. Fido sends the parameters to them. LG codes it into the software, and sends it back to Fido for approval. It will be easier to understand for a person who had manually flashed an Andriod OS before.

The rest of the work is testing the OS from inside and out to make sure it works.  The testing will be done within Fido Tech team and I will take time and cannot be rushed.  If it is not fully tested, the end result will be similar to things that happen to most iphone users after an IOS update (lost Wifi signal, quick battery drain, apps crashing...etc).

AlexPark
I'm a Participant Level 3

How long does testing usually take though?  American carriers were able to do so relatively quickly, I don't see why the same can't be said for Canadian carriers.  The only reasons I could see it being so is that it's to do with that it's the H831 model instead of the H380 or H381 got the update rolled out later.

It's coming soon!

We'll update the OS schedule if/when we get more info Wink

EFTC
I'm Qualified Level 1

Ooo that's exciting.

That means Fido has the firmare and they are in the process of testing it.  It will most likely be released within 30 days (probably in 2 - 3 weeks) from when the posting is last updated (i.e., 23-Nov-2016).  As long as no issues pop up.  

Wholelistically I don't mind waiting a bit longer so long as the issue with Samsung S5 is not repeated. 

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Yeah good luck with that. As we've experienced with the update schedule before the term coming soon really stretches the meaning of the word soon. It was many months Galaxy S6 owners waited for Marshmallow (this after the other major carriers had already released it). I'd be downright shocked to see any LG phone getting Nougat before March 2017