LG G3 stable on LTE, but calls make it switch to 4G

Kaiserdom
I'm a Participant Level 3

I've had my Fido LG G3 for a year now and everything has been fine.  About a week ago, I noticed that my call quality was not as good as before.  Upon investigation, I noticed that if my phone was connected on Fido LTE network, data worked perfectly.  The second I placed a call, the phone switches automatically to 4G.  After the call ended, about 20 seconds later it re-connects to LTE.

I also notice the same behaviour when receiving calls.

Has Fido changed any network settings to only do voice calls on 4G instead of LTE? Is there a setting on my phone that I need to check?  (BTW Phone network preference is "LTE first")

Have I misunderstood something?

BTW: my phone has no VoLTE option so I think this is plain voice connection.  (Hopefully in the next Fido OS update to Marshmallow it will allow us VoLTE calls!!!)

Any help to understand why I no longer have clear calls over the LTE network?

2 REPLIES 2
Kaiserdom
I'm a Participant Level 3

I've searched a little more and found this : https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-Voice-Over-LTE-and-3G-voice-services

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)

So it seems that the LTE only supports packet switching since legacy networks use circuit switching.  This makes carrying voice more complex on LTE especially if you want to dynamically go to a non-LTE network.

So that explains why my phone drops to 4G network for voice calls.

If Fido can put the VoIP functionality on my LG G3 (like Verizon and AT&T did with their subscribers), then I could use Voice calls over LTE using the VoIP standard.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Kaiserdom wrote:

I've had my Fido LG G3 for a year now and everything has been fine.  About a week ago, I noticed that my call quality was not as good as before.  Upon investigation, I noticed that if my phone was connected on Fido LTE network, data worked perfectly.  The second I placed a call, the phone switches automatically to 4G.  After the call ended, about 20 seconds later it re-connects to LTE.

I also notice the same behaviour when receiving calls.

Has Fido changed any network settings to only do voice calls on 4G instead of LTE? Is there a setting on my phone that I need to check?  (BTW Phone network preference is "LTE first")

Have I misunderstood something?

BTW: my phone has no VoLTE option so I think this is plain voice connection.  (Hopefully in the next Fido OS update to Marshmallow it will allow us VoLTE calls!!!)

Any help to understand why I no longer have clear calls over the LTE network?

Hello Kaiserdom,

With the exception of voLTE, voice calls are sent via the 2G or '3G' networks only. I have previously discussed why the phone has to switch networks here. In your case, the 4G is actually H+ which is on the UMTS (WCDMA) or '3G' network. So the phone will standby in LTE because some system and apps might require data. However, when a call is made/received, it would have to switch to the '3G' or 2G network. After the call, the phone would then go to LTE to standby again.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers