LG G3 or ZTE Axon?

LG G3 or ZTE Axon?

LG G3 or ZTE Axon?

Xzinonn
I'm a Participant Level 2

LG G3 or ZTE Axon?

Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my phone from Nexus 4 sometime this week. Nexus 4 was great but the battery life is finally showing its signs.

I've heard the LG G3 has overheating and lag issues due to its highly intense display pixels so I'm not sure if I want to buy it or get the Axon. Can you guys give me some tips or what you would get if you were in my position and why? Thank you!

Phones I'm considering getting are either: LG G3, ZTE Axon, Samsung A5 (maybe)

8 REPLIES 8
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

I'm going to be a bit less direct than Kapable-K, but I'll most likely come to the same conclusion: a 5X from Google is, in my opinion, your best bet.

That said, what made you come to those phones rather than the others? Price, features, name, look, other?

Will you be just purchasing the phone full price or are you renewing your contract? If renewing, what category contract are you at (BYOD, standard, smart, max)?

You're used to a Nexus 4 and therefore a pure Android interface. Each manufacturer customizes Android, with Samsung being the "most customized" one with the TouchWiz interface. Before going on a Samsung, I highly recommend going to a store and asking to poke around the interface. Some people like it, some (such as Kapable-K and myself) don't. I cannot speak about the LG or the ZTE interface as I have not seen any of those.

As Kapable-K noted, if updates are important, nothing will beat a Nexus. The G3 is two generations old, so don't expect updates. Samsung has a bad record when it comes to updates, and the A5 isn't a high-end phone, so don't expect to see Marshmallow on it, ever. Meanwhile, the Nexus 5X comes with Marshmallow, and it will get Android N in November/December, and Android O next year.

For reference, my Nexus 5 (released 2 years ago) runs the latest version (6.0.1) with the April security patches. It got it all over the air. Non-Nexus devices updates have to go through the manufacturer and the carrier (Fido), which can delay - look at other threads of people complaining that their Galaxy S6 is not receiving Marshmallow while other carrier's S6 are.

Added bonus is that Nexus phones are unlocked, so if you travel abroad, you can put in a SIM from any carrier. You might never need it, but it's a nice-to-have.

Price might be an issue (the 5X is $389, including the current $50 rebate for Mother's Day). You might want to consider switching to a BYOD plan once your current contract ends. Perhaps it would be cheaper than your current plan, perhaps not. If you keep your standard/smart/max plan, pick a "free" phone when you renew, then resell it - you have no obligation to use that phone, so you can keep using your Nexus 5X.

So yeah, I do end up recommending a Nexus! Smiley

Xzinonn

The reason for those phones being my only options is because I'm on a standard plan and I don't want to pay more than a hundred to renew my standard contract.

I would love to get a new Nexus type phone but too costly for me at this time.
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@Xzinonn wrote:
The reason for those phones being my only options is because I'm on a standard plan and I don't want to pay more than a hundred to renew my standard contract.

I would love to get a new Nexus type phone but too costly for me at this time.

Given that restriction, you'll have an outdated phone no matter what.

In which case, I would say go for the "free" ones, and I would recommend the Moto E. Save your money instead. It's the least powerful of them all, but Motorola has the closest to the pure Android you're used to. And since you're going for an old phone, you won't be using apps/games that require a powerful CPU anyway.

I would also say to consider a BYOD plan. What would be the price difference between your current plan and a BYOD one? Because based on current price plans (which might not be relevant to your situation), a standard plan is $7/month more than a BYOD. $7 x 24 months = $168, and the Moto E is $150 full price.

Of course if your current plan is cheaper than a BYOD, it would not make sense to switch. But if for any reason you need to cancel/buy out your agreement, the Moto E will cost much less.

I would recommend the Moto E aswell I bought one over the holidays and its smooth and fast and it also have Android M already.

Its on sale at Londo Drugs for $79 here you can also price match at BestBuy and get it even cheaper.

You can take a look at the 3 of them side by side with specs here

After looking at them I would go with the G3 because it has Android 6 available a higher expandable memory card support and removable battery.

Xzinonn

I have compared the 3 in specs, the G3 is far superior but my only fear is number of complaints on the G3 having lag, overheating, battery drain problems due to its high pixel density. Hence why I'm kind of leaning towards the Axon. Kind of tough to decide.

On the Android M update it suppose to have better battery optimization. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP

From all your choices it looks like you want an Android phone.

Don't get the Samsung, the touchwiz just don't feel good and forget about updates.

The LG G3 is old now you can get a G4 for free on another contract.

If updates are important to you I would suggest you get the Nexus phone directly from Google, You will get pure Android, monthly security updates and as soon as a new Androis OS get released you will get it.

If you don't want to pay for a phone and get it free through Fido then get the G4 for free.