Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

I'm a Participant Level 1

Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

So I just read online that the Motorola Razr HD will be receiving KitKat. Even Mototola's own page says that Fido customers will receive the update. I'm excited, but curious as to when this will happen. Last year there was talk of the 4.1 Jellybean update for months before we actually got it. Should we expect the same kind of wait?

50 REPLIES 50
I'm a Participant Level 3

Two days after the update. My battery was discharged and when I plugged it to charge the phone was stuck on a static Motorola logo. I rebooted it several times with the Power and Volume UP+Down combination, but not dice, so I had to do a factory reset. Beware ! 

@SnoopyQC wrote:

Two days after the update. My battery was discharged and when I plugged it to charge the phone was stuck on a static Motorola logo. I rebooted it several times with the Power and Volume UP+Down combination, but not dice, so I had to do a factory reset. Beware ! 

bikes and SnoopyQC,

I updated to KitKat last Sunday (Nov 23) and the exact same thing happened to me.

The new OS was great while it lasted. Things were snappier and battery life seemed to be better, until the power drained last night. When I plugged it in to charge, it booted and got stuck on the Motorola boot screen. I can't even power down by holding the Power button, it just reboots it.  

Since the battery was drained I plugged in the charger which makes the phone reboot and then it just goes back to the Motorola logo. It also wouldn't turn off from just holding down the Power button so the phone was getting pretty hot while I had it plugged in to keep some juice in there so I could try and reboot later. I was actually worried that maybe the battery would blow up.

After trying random key combos, I was able to get into Fastboot mode by holding Power + Volumn Down until the screen goes black, then released Power, then released Volumn Down.  But that would mean doing a factory reset and everything since my last backup a month ago is lost.  Tip: You can turn off the phone if you leave it unplugged while on the Fastboot screen, just hold down the Power button.

This is bullsh*t!

Did they just taunt us with an update so we'd get a new phone? I used the new OS for 3 whole days!

I didn't even know we were getting an update. Honestly would've been "happy" enough just using a slow phone for a little while longer. Pretty pissed off right now... 

Hopefully a Fido rep posts about this soon.

I'm a Participant Level 2

I strongly urge everyone at Fido to give all RAZR HD 100 dollar credits toward the next bill if upgrading to new phones. This has been a pain ful time for all us with serious disruption to productivity.

Sms issue fixed by switching over to Textra, it's awesome and free

LED notification issue resolved with app Light Flow

One major issue I do not like.... Before if I were running low of battery, it would pop a notification saying battery under 15%. Then when under 10% led would flash red and notification would remind you to plug in asap. After update there isn't any advanced notice, it beeps /flashes red and then shuts down. Sometimes this even happens when I have between 20-30% battery left. Once it reboots it is still showing 20-30% battery left 

I'm a Contributor Level 2

You are not alone.  I had the exact same issues, EXACTLY, as detailed here.

Took the plunge, did the upgrade.

Everything seemed zippy and wonderful and then the battery starting draining overly, not horribly, but Android OS was the offending app which is annoying because that's so broad.  GSam is no better at explaining/pinpointing.

Then the first time I rebooted, the phone 'bricked' much like Cyline? described a few back: it stuck on the Motorola logo, the solid one, not the 'watery' one. Had to force off (Hold Power and Volume Up? I think), then IMMEDIATELY go into recovery (Volume Middle/Hold Power).  After many attempts I got into Recovery and then the blue menu (now Hold Volume Down/push Power/release Power (not push/release Volume up like before). 

Anyways, after factory reset (which is always annoying, Android restores like 80% of my apps), things settled down, I now agree, factory resets are essential after an OS upgrade.  Android OS is still sorta up there in battery drain, but not unreasonably so, I can live with it, means I def. run to 0 by midnight.  Hey, at least our RAZRs have a battery size that can take some abuse.

Overall, response is way faster, smoother and more reliable than Jellybean, so I'm glad I did the upgrade.  My biggest gripe is the Messaging app doesn't display MMS pics sent immediately... it shows 'Downloading' for several minutes, sometimes half an hour, makes it annoying/impossible to trade pics in quick succession.  I don't want to use Hangouts.  

I miss the blue Wi-fi indicator in status bar, that showed a good, locked signal. I associate the white with not quite locked in. 

I definitely miss our previous four shortcuts thingee in the lock screen, I used that so much.  Yes, Kit Kat has lock screen widgets but it's not the same. I tried DashClock but it is a bit of a memory hog.  I think what I'll probably do is create a Power Toggles widget of four apps and place it there. Or maybe Zooper Widget cause that will include clock. 

It's still worth it guys. The phone looks and acts like a young buck for the most part. I was so frustrated with lag before, it's really quite zippy now.  But I don't install too much.  I disable a lot of the Google stuff too: Video Maker, Play Movies, Play Games, Play Books, Play Music, etc.

netboysteve: " I disable a lot of the Google stuff too: Video Maker, Play Movies, Play Games, Play Books, Play Music, etc."

Can I ask how you do this? So far as I can tell, these can't be uninstalled, so I'm not sure how one permanently disables them ... aside from certain non-official means.

is anyone experiening poor reception and connection issues since doing the KitKat update?

My reception in my house is worse than it used to be, and I had no reception while in a Costco last weekend (I usually do).

I haven't experienced any reception problems since the upgrade, but a few apps are wonky (streaming music). 

I had the same issue!

I did a clear cache partition (as i usually do once a week to speed up the device, prevent battery drain and help remove unecessary items) and now its stuck on the Motorola logo. Tried EVERYTHING! Soooo my only option is factory reset?!?!? That sukssss...

I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have not noticed any increase in battery drain. This could be due to a factory reset early in the month. I just did the OS update and so far the battery life has been fine. 

I think I noticed the contacts issue as well. But can't really say as I don't use this phone on a daily basis. 

One really strange thing I noticed on the weekend. When I went to power cycle, it took a really long time to reboot. I had wanted to see if the new OS would boot faster and on the first try I started to freak out at just over 5 minutes. I then powered down again, power buttong and + - volulme button rebooted. This time it booted up but at well over 8 minutes. After that, it has booted in under 2 minutes, which is what I was expecting. So maybe give it some time. I know I paniced the first time it went over 5 minutes and was about to just smash the phone. 

Good luck.

I've been using KitKat for four days now. I did not do any kind of factory reset, but I haven't noticed any issues related to battery life -- it is about the same before and after. I also did not notice anything unusual related to my contacts (which are part of my Google account) though WhatsApp seems to have forgotten the association between names and phone numbers in a few cases, and some apps are acting up (Rdio music streaming). 

The LED light thing is a bit annoying but not much of a bother for me.

Will post more impressions as I learn more about this update.

I've had the update 2 days now and I'm happy with it. I haven't noticed a difference in battery life so far which is good. I would do a factory reset if I did notice something like that (some people recommend always doing a reset after a firmware update but it's a bit of a hassle). Also for the LEDs, I was already using Light Flow to customize the colors and flashing speeds so nothing changed for me there.

I had 2 issues that I was able to overcome:

1. The bluetooth audio connection to my car was constantly dropping out for a fraction of a second. I unpaired the devices by deleting the car in my phone's settings and deleting the phone in my car's settings. Since then it's been fine.
  2. They changed the default SMS app (messaging) so that the background is white. It looks really bad in my opinion. I ended up replacing it with "8SMS" from the GPlay store. This is a modification of the stock app to add in a bunch of useful options including a dark theme. It's free with ads, or $2 to remove the ads.

On the plus side I do notice that it feels a bit snappier, and there's a few new features to play with.

@FolkSong wrote:
The bluetooth audio connection to my car was constantly dropping out for a fraction of a second. I unpaired the devices by deleting the car in my phone's settings and deleting the phone in my car's settings. Since then it's been fine.

Update on this: re-pairing the devices did not actually fix the problem, although it seemed to improve it. From other forums I learned that turning wifi off when using bluetooth audio seems to be the real fix. I've been doing this and I now believe it's really fixed. I set up some SmartActions to automatically disable wifi when bluetooth connects so it's not too much of a hassle.

Well it's good and bad. The good is the phone it's way smoother, faster, and reliable. The bad is losing the shortcuts in the lock screen and there are some annoying things about the SMS app. The smooth fast experience its worth it for me.

Downloading now! I am surpised. The timing sucks as I've got some more work to do.

Not sure if I will be able to review, but I can say after my factory reset and about a couple weeks of light usage things seemed to have stabalized. I guess I'm going to be stuck with this device for a while.

Will let you all know my thoughts over the next couple of months.

Still no KitKat update.....booo!

Yep -- and the KitKat update was announced last November, right?

No news, why am I no longer surprised.

I ended up doing a complete factory restore as suggested above. It does seem to run faster and no heat issues, yet. But one of my live wallpapers doesn't seem to be available anymore. Setting it up as new kinda sucks. 

I had every intention of returning with my extended warranty, but like all of these, you will have to do a complete wipe to factory settings and once that is done, the fault seems to go away. When tested the drain was withing specifications. 

ITS FINALLY HERE!!!!

DOWNLOADING KITKAT NOW !!!!!!

WHOOHOO!! FINALLY.... 88% and counting!

2 more years and we'll get Lollipop!