Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

I'm a Participant Level 1

Kitkat 4.4 for Razr HD

So I just read online that the Motorola Razr HD will be receiving KitKat. Even Mototola's own page says that Fido customers will receive the update. I'm excited, but curious as to when this will happen. Last year there was talk of the 4.1 Jellybean update for months before we actually got it. Should we expect the same kind of wait?

50 REPLIES 50
I'm a Participant Level 2

I downloaded kit kat and regret it. Plain and simple I DO NOT LIKE IT. The green notification light quit, I do not like the way my preset alarms are now displayed. I do not like the way my text messages are displayed and I really hate the fact that I lost 90% of my contacts dispite the fact that I did a back up. How it decided which contacts to keep and which to get rid of is totaly beyond my understanding and I have no idea if there is any way of retrieving them.It also sunced with my google account and did the same to all my contacts there. I should have simply put them all down on good old fashioned paper before updating. Why is it that when updates are supposed to be an improvement they actually end up just being more infurating.

With regards to my previous post as to how Kit Kat decided which contact to save and which to delete it appears it saved all entries made during 2014 and deleted all the rest, figure that one out.

The biggest issue which trumps all the issues reported above is MAJOR BATTERY DRAIN. Either I always had a defective unit (which thanks to Fido could never get fixed) but the phone cannot last more than 8 hours of no usage. Secondly, charging is taking twice as long.

Would be curious to see if others are experiencing this too.

I'm a Contributor Level 2

Let us know how it works.

I'm a Participant Level 3

While it runs smoother (in my opinion), there are some things that you should be aware of:

1) If you used a third party SMS program (as I did) and you update..... you will be FORCED to use the stock Motorola Text Messaging app. It will be set as the default SMS messaging program without the option to change (even if you have a different SMS messaging app installed). I used other apps because I can't stand the groupped/thread view of messaging. I personally rather have a chronological list of all incoming texts. If you try to use a third party SMS program....when you view texts it will not remove the unread status of the actual message.

*edit.... I tried using a different SMS program, instead of the one I normally used and it allowed me to set it as the default SMS program.

2) The new update really messes with the notification LED. Prior to update....Green was for Incoming Text or other notifications, White was for Whatsapp etc. After the update there is no longer the green LED notification for texts. I had to get a third party app called LightFlow inorder to manage the LED notifications

3) One of the most annoying changes is Google's restriction of third party apps to write to your external SD card. Taking pictures and having them automatically save on the the SD card under DCIM folder is still default. However...when I tried to download something online using Dolphin Browser (which is defaulted to a folder on my SD Card) it refuses to download. I haven't tried, but I will assume the same will occur if I try to bittorrent or other stuff.

These are a few of the things I have noticed so far with about half a day of usage.

Good Luck

Unbelievable -- I thought this day would never come. Will have to wait until this evening (when I am on a proper Wifi network) to download.

I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hmm, I've been waiting as well hoping it may fix an intermitent but serious battery drain issue. But now I don't know. I googled my problem and found this thread.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/824740

I doubt I would upgrade to Kitkat, at least not until others have tried and have success.  

I've narrowed down my battery drain to the wifi. If on it will drain my phone to 0 in about 5-6 hours. If I just leave it on LTE, the phone will be fine. The symptons include the phone getting really hot. This has happened before, but very intermintent. Now it is pretty much constant. I also have problems updating my apps through the play store. I have to open, then update all, wait for one to update then close the app and do it again. 

Trust me when I say I did nothing different other than updating the various apps that I have. There was a long streatch where everything was fine. Wifi on, auto update apps on, and apps would update nicely. 

The battery drain and heat problem you are experiencing is due to Google Services module going "crazy" (kind of infinite loop) when it has a hard time trying to determine your location using wifi. So, one of the solutions are to disable wifi altogether, disable the use of wifi to determine your location, or disable location access to Google services in the Google settings app.

@SnoopyQC wrote:
The battery drain and heat problem you are experiencing is due to Google Services module going "crazy" (kind of infinite loop) when it has a hard time trying to determine your location using wifi. So, one of the solutions are to disable wifi altogether, disable the use of wifi to determine your location, or disable location access to Google services in the Google settings app.

Hmm, I tried that but that didn't seem to work.

Recently I had a day of normal wifi usage. Where I could leave wifi on and have it connect to home or out at a hotspot. Phone would stay at a regular temp and no exessive battery drain.

Then it went back to the way it was. 

I think I will have to reset the phone and start fresh to see if that solves the issue.

On the Moto sight, it is still showing that this device will be upgraded to Kitkat. But they never did put a date. I'll probably have a new phone before it ever gets released.

@WallMan wrote:

@SnoopyQC wrote:

Hmm, I tried that but that didn't seem to work.

Recently I had a day of normal wifi usage. Where I could leave wifi on and have it connect to home or out at a hotspot. Phone would stay at a regular temp and no exessive battery drain.

Then it went back to the way it was. 

I think I will have to reset the phone and start fresh to see if that solves the issue.

On the Moto sight, it is still showing that this device will be upgraded to Kitkat. But they never did put a date. I'll probably have a new phone before it ever gets released.

Regarding the battery drain, my wife and I had the same problem. We both use the XT925. It was also getting awfully slow.

I did a complete wipe of the phone including the cache. The "turn phone off. Then hold volume + and - down at the same time. Then press and hold "Power" button...." routine. Caution, this removes all data and apps so back things up first.

After I reinstalled my apps and reloaded my data, I am no longer having the battery drain/heat problem. The phone also is noticably faster.

I think this wipe and reload needs to be done on a yearly basis.

Anyone with a good explanation as to why this needs to be done? The battery drain/heat/slowness gives the impression that the phone is doing a lot of processing in the background.

Hi,

My girlfriend had a very annoying battery drain problem with her Razr HD.  She also had problem sending/receiving SMS.  She got a new SIM card, but it didn't help.  Then I got an idea: swith to hangouts for SMS instead of stock text messages app.  Results: no more SMS problem et no more battery drain!

So much for that update to us Motorola RAZR HD users... how nice....

There's actually some news on the Razr HD:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/10/03/rogers-moto-razr-hd-update-to-kitkat-coming-soon/?utm_content=buff...

... though I'll believe it when I see it.

KitKat is now available for the Verizon Razr HD (XT926) in the USA. Hopefully this means it will be available through Fido at some point soon. 

any update on KitKat coming soon to FIDO (Razr HD)?

The latest info is that the KitKat update has gone out to XT926 users (the CDMA version of the RAZR HD on Verizon in the USA) and apparently also to some XT925 users on carriers in western Europe (this just recently, within the last week or so). 

Hopefully we see something for Fido and Rogers XT925 users ... someday.

is that someday coming soon?

we are still on 4.1.2 which is a 2 year old OS version.

Any news on this?

^ I look around every few days for news on the KitKat update but haven't seen anything lately. Apparently some European carriers have already rolled out KitKat for the XT925, but it is buggy. I can't say I'm impressed with the slow pace of updates for this phone. Something to keep in mind when it is time to upgrade...

What really drives me crazy in this case was that the Fido Razr HD update to KitKat was announced in November 2013. It's been about eight months and still no update. 

Anxiously waiting also. Like many others I assume.

This will greatly affect which carrier I stay with, if I can't count on updates then I don't care how cool the phone is.