Issues with temporarily assigned phone number

SOLVED
flash1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I was never a Fido customer in the past and just signed up the BYOD plan 1.5 hours ago.

As part of the process, I am assigned a temporary number prior to my own number can be ported over from Telus.   To my surprise, one of the first SMS I received is a scam message stating, 

"Fido: Your account has been overcharged due to an system error.

Deposit:

https://fido.ca.invoice65111.com"

The messag is from 1-365-650-4050

It seems that the temporarily numbers are listed for attack.

This is not a great start of my Fido experience.

Accepted Solution

Re: Issues with temporarily assigned phone number

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Flash1,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, any number can be targeted with SPAM, not just with Fido and not just temporary numbers either. It's not difficult to determine which prefixes belong to the different telecom providers. They can target specific cities and specific providers (see here). While it's true that once you port your number from Telus, you won't likely receive any SPAM SMS claiming to be from Fido. However, it does not mean your phone number will be exempt from receive SPAM SMS claiming to be from Telus.

To help reduce the amount of SPAM SMS for everyone, you might consider copying and forwarding the message to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
patrickchan
I'm Experienced Level 1

not surprise, any mobile #s are spammed via app. just delete.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Flash1,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, any number can be targeted with SPAM, not just with Fido and not just temporary numbers either. It's not difficult to determine which prefixes belong to the different telecom providers. They can target specific cities and specific providers (see here). While it's true that once you port your number from Telus, you won't likely receive any SPAM SMS claiming to be from Fido. However, it does not mean your phone number will be exempt from receive SPAM SMS claiming to be from Telus.

To help reduce the amount of SPAM SMS for everyone, you might consider copying and forwarding the message to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers