Is there ANY way Fido will unlock my iPhone 6 early

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Is there ANY way Fido will unlock my iPhone 6 early

Please I am very desperate and I need my phone unlocked before I go to a wedding overseas in a couple of weeks I've called Fido and the kept telling me that I have to wait 90 days I don't understand why that would make a difference I am really desperate I am willing to pay more money if that is what it takes I just need my phone unlocked without voiding my warranty if ANYONE can please give me some guidance please get back to me I have been with Fido for over 2 years and my entire family is with Fido since before they were owned by Rogers when they had the old blue and brown logo

Accepted Solution

Re: Is there ANY way Fido will unlock my iPhone 6 early

Hi techwebs101. 

Did you purchase your iPhone 6 on a contract or at full price? If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido phone, that phone must have been registered in your account for at least 90 days in order to be eligible for unlocking. Only in the case that  you purchased your device from Fido, without contract and did not receive any rebate on it would the phone would be eligible for unlocking immediately.

If the phone was purchased on a contract and is thus not yet eligible for unlocking, as an alternative, you could add a travel pack to cover any usage perfomed while roaming overseas so that you will still be able to bring and use your phone abroad.  Smiley

You can find information about all the international travel packs that we offer here: 

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/coverageroaming/roaming_intl_talktextdatatravelpack

Hope this helps! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 21
Highlighted

they kept telling me to wait 90 days which I don't understand why that makes a difference why I'm paying for the service and I am still going to be with Fido
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 21
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Yes,

You can try other online unlocking service.  Its a common misconception that you have to get your Fido phone unlocked through Fido. Other providers will do it for you without the restrictions laid out from Fido.

Think of it as a new car maintainece service. Of course the car dealership insists your newly purchased car to be serviced by the dealer. But there is no restriction to have it serviced by any car mechanic.

To answer your question. Fido has a 90 day policy to prevent customers from getting a phon through subsidy and quickly switched carriers, or using non - Fido roaming services like what you are trying to do now. Also they can make an additional $50 when you unlock a phone.

I personally do not think that is a good way to do business. Luckly there are other options when it comes to unlocking phones.  As for reliability I can say I got my S4 unlocked (and tested) after 1 day.

Hope this helps

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 21
Highlighted

Apple told me it would void my AppleCare if I fo it through a third party
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 21
Highlighted

do*
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 21
Highlighted

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 21
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

How would Apple know if Fido did it, or if a third party company did it?  They arent about to call Fido and ask them, unless they have a magical tool that tells them where an IMEI was unlocked (which I do not think they do).

I dont think Fido just has the 90 day rule so you switch carriers, it makes sense for fraud issues that you do not sell it right when you get it and then run off with the money.  Some of the Iphone's are over $1000, someone could easily open an account, get a phone on subsidy and then sell it for $800 and then leave Fido with the Bill,  this is more of a fraud thing if you ask me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 21
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hi techwebs101. 

Did you purchase your iPhone 6 on a contract or at full price? If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido phone, that phone must have been registered in your account for at least 90 days in order to be eligible for unlocking. Only in the case that  you purchased your device from Fido, without contract and did not receive any rebate on it would the phone would be eligible for unlocking immediately.

If the phone was purchased on a contract and is thus not yet eligible for unlocking, as an alternative, you could add a travel pack to cover any usage perfomed while roaming overseas so that you will still be able to bring and use your phone abroad.  Smiley

You can find information about all the international travel packs that we offer here: 

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/coverageroaming/roaming_intl_talktextdatatravelpack

Hope this helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 21
Highlighted

I got it on a contract 30 days ago and i really just need it unlocked
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 21
Highlighted