Is Vivaz Pro a Smartphone?

SOLVED
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Is this phone a smartphone? If so why is not under the smartphones tab?

If not can you please briefly explain?

Accepted Solution

Re: Is Vivaz Pro a Smartphone?

Solved by I'm an Expert Level 2
Hello DAGR8ONE,

Although this device contains many aspects of a smart phone, it is indeed considered a voice product and classified as a quick messaging phone. It is also supported by our consumer technical support team which supports voice products. A lot of the internal features of this device (specifically, the GPS, and wifi) are also supported by the manufacturer directly. This device is also sent out for repair if there are any defects found with the phone as supposed to being replaced through the advanced exchange program with our other smart phones.

What type of requirement are you looking for in terms of a smart phone?

Is there any particular reason you need a device classified as a "smart phone"?
View solution in context
14 REPLIES 14
I'm Qualified Level 1

This article may help in providing some insight on what could be considered as a smartphone and what isn't.  keep in mind that even the cellphone industry has no standardized definition.

http://cellphones.about.com/od/coveringthebasics/qt/cellphonesvssmartphones.htm

I'm a Participant Level 1

I have recently, (6 wks ago);  upgraded or should I say downgraded to a Vivaz pro. I find this phone to be one of the worst I have ever used. It is not user friendly and I am going back to my other phone. a Sony 790g.

I'm an Expert Level 2

Hello DAGR8ONE,

Although this device contains many aspects of a smart phone, it is indeed considered a voice product and classified as a quick messaging phone. It is also supported by our consumer technical support team which supports voice products. A lot of the internal features of this device (specifically, the GPS, and wifi) are also supported by the manufacturer directly. This device is also sent out for repair if there are any defects found with the phone as supposed to being replaced through the advanced exchange program with our other smart phones.

What type of requirement are you looking for in terms of a smart phone?

Is there any particular reason you need a device classified as a "smart phone"?

Thanks Paolo for  your reply.

Well i was looking into all the info of Vivaz and has such things like GPS, WiFi, facebook. To be honest i do not have a smartphone and i was curious of this one. Since this is not smartphone does not come with a data plan, i can add it optional. But if i don't do it i will not be able to to use Facebook?

here is where i am confused. I think may a FIDO person can reply and tell me exactly.

Thanks for you reply, i understood but since you are not an employee, I would like to hear an employee point of view.

Some websites call the Vivaz smartphone.

Thank you again Paolo

I'm an Expert Level 2

I'm a little confused on your question? you want to know how to use the internet (facebook) without a data plan?

well i have been searching on the net and almost everybody call vivaz a smartphone.

I think that is a low end smartphone with an OS that is not powerful as the BB, Iphone or Android.

My question is: is a smartphone or not? if not why not. So is this is consider a regular phone then you don't

have to get a data plan therefore is you use facebook you will charge everytime you use it.

I'm an Expert Level 2

Probaly because it has both Smartphone and Dumbphone capabilities built in. The build Fido carries probaly has the dumbphone capabilities enabled by default on the handset. Obviously because its a S60 phone, it can work as a Smart phone too, but it would need special applications installed and what not if you wanted this but the ones on it by default work just fine with fido's dumbphone plans so why bother?
I'm an Expert Level 2

if you want to connect to face book, you can use facebook to your hearts content with the unlimited mobile browsing plan, that means you will have to use the m.facebook.com page to access it on dumbphones with the unlimited browsing plans, so yes you have to pay, but not only facebook you can surf any wap or www site with that plan on this phone.

thanxx paolo

they should pay you...you have replied to me 3 times and the people from fido none....:)

@Pablo,

Thank you for the great input.

@DAGR80NE,

You will need the Unlimited mobile browsing plan to use Facebook on this phone.

If you connect to WIFI the browser on the device will allow you to connect to facebook without a data plan. But that is only when you are in an area where WIFI is available. I suggest getting the unlimited mobile browsing plan.

I hope this help,

Community Manager (Retired)

@DAGR8ONE

You're right, Paolo is very helpful in our Community Forums! Smiley

Although our forums are actively moderated, it is a place for constructive discussions among Fido customers. There are several community guidelines which we invite you to follow in order to foster a professional and helpful community interaction.

We hope the guidelines will ideally be self-regulated by and among participants; the forum moderators will intervene only if and when required.

If you have any questions about the community, feel free to send an email to forum.support@fidomobile.ca.

Thanks!

HI. hope you will not ignore me like in my threade.

but what about new/old(for the rest of the world) firmware where almost all the bugs theat people are talking here about are fixed?

thans in advance.

I'm a Participant Level 3

I don't have a data plan and I don't have unlimited browsing.

If there's wifi connection where I am, does it mean, I can go online for free?

If I can unlimited browsing, does it work some what like a data plan?  I can watch videos on youtube?

@oio,

If you surf / connect via wifi, you don't have to pay anything fido, so yes, free.

You can't watch youtube video with unlimited (wap) browsing.  You'll need a proper data plan for that.