Is Fido preventing cancellation by requiring quitting customers to call and then not answering?

Is Fido preventing cancellation by requiring quitting customers to call and then not answering?

SOLVED
WantToCancel
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Customers on a monthly plan, even if the contract has expired, has no way of cancelling online??

Customers who have determined to quit are forced to go through its ridiculous customer service number and wait for up to an hour or even more. The only thing keeping me paying the Fido bill is that I don't want my credit score to sunk. 

Is Fido intentionally doing this? Hijacking the customers credit score to prevent them from leaving?

Is this ethical???? Is this legal???

Accepted Solution

Re: Is Fido preventing cancellation by requiring quitting customers to call and then not answering?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMegan

Hi @WantToCancel

Sad to see you want to cancel. Sad We do offer multiple contact methods though that you can find here

If you'd like, I can send you a PM and help you with your account. 

Let me know! 

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@WantToCancel there is a reason why only a Fido employee can cancel a plan, it prevents anyone from cancelling your line without you knowing. Fido does provide a call back feature so you don't have to wait on hold and go about your business.

If you already switch to a new provider and intend on keeping your existing number you will need to keep it activated in order to have it transferred. Your new provider will port the number over and it will automatically cancel the Fido account so you don't even have to speak to anyone at Fido.

WantToCancel

Sorry, but these are just excuses.

1) Login to Fido website requires a password. Fido could have asked for more security questions only when account-changing requests are made, incl. cancellation. What made me messaging on this forum more secure than calling on the phone? Are you suggesting security is the real concern here? Is Fido website not secure?

2) Sure, porting numbers is one scenary calling Fido may not be needed. BUT Fido is misrepresenting how cancellation could be done. My entire points are: 1) Fido is intentionally making it more difficult than necessary, so as to deter people from cancelling; 2) Fido is not upfront and honest about the process, and what it does is shady and unethical. Additionally the customer has a right to choose not to port the number.

Also how is this relevant?? That another company can force Fido to give up the customer's number is entirely unrelated to whether Fido is doing anything shady just to keep customers. Lucky for consumers, several new mobile companies are now very viable options. Instead of improving the quality of its services, Fido is doing shady stuff like this. This is what's REALLY disappointing.

WantToCancel

This is NOT "solved". My account is still active at this moment, although I did receive a PM from the Moderator, 3 hours ago, asking my phone number for cancellation purposes, to which I replied immediately. That was the only communication I ever received regarding the cancellation of my Fido account since 3 hours ago. Is this how every person who wants to cancel with Fido gets treated and is forced to go through?

I don't have a outstanding balance, and my contract has expired months ago. I just want my account with Fido cancelled.

A friendly reminder to whoever is in charge: you cannot abuse your power over the cancellation of my account with Fido (which I am entitled to), just because I have negative opinions of your company and the way you provide services.

Of course I'm not saying you are, at this moment.

We require you to contact us so that we can make sure you have all the proper information before cancelling your account. We have dedicated teams that take care of these types of requests. 

I'm sad to see that you feel this way but I assure you that we're here to help. You're fully entitled to cancel your account. In order to have a live service, you would need to contact us by phone though. As this is a community forum, our replies can take some time.

I replied to your PM, feel free to continue with us there. 

WantToCancel

Hi Megan, thanks for following up. Please don't take it personally, but I really prefer it done somehow sooner rather than during the span of 5 hours - which is roughly how long it has taken me so far. And it is still counting.

Could you clarify: to cancel, should I call right now, or should I follow the instruction in the PM, e.g. to fill out the "ID Form"? BTW, the link for the ID Form in the PM is not working.

You're welcome to call if you prefer to speak with someone live. You can also contact us on Facebook or Twitter here and where we can help you with your cancellation.

If not, feel free to reply to our PM. Thanks. 

FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hi @WantToCancel

Sad to see you want to cancel. Sad We do offer multiple contact methods though that you can find here

If you'd like, I can send you a PM and help you with your account. 

Let me know! 

WantToCancel

Sorry about the tone of my message.

However it is a violation of my right as a customer when Fido make it so difficult to cancel. It is also extremely frustrating because FIdo does not provide any indication of how to cancel services except calling, and every google result indicates the customer has to call the customer service line. 

Please dont take this personally, but someone in Fido definitely has designed the route this way to frustrate leaving customers. It is a rather pathietic and highly unethical strategy to employ. Whoever came up with this idea should be ashamed of him/herself.  

I have been a Fido customer for over 10 years and I am thoroughly disappointed by this company. BTW, in case anyone doubts, I am determined to quit and have already activated a new line with another company. I am not using this as a leverage to negotiate by any means.

Please cancel my account for me immediately, PM me, or direct me to the right channel. Whatever works.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we have multiple contact methods such as LiveChat, Facebook, Twitter and I can send you a private message here. Smiley 

I understand our call wait times can be longer due to higher volume. If you don't want to wait, we have the other methods available for you. 

I'll send you a PM and we'll go over that together. 

WantToCancel

Meagan, I trust you are a kind person and I thank you for assisting me on the cancellation.

HOWEVER:

On Fido's official pages, it is repeatedly suggested that the ONLY method for cancellation is calling the 1-866 number. None of your alternative methods for "support" is ever mentioned.

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/cancel-service

"How to get in touch

Contact us so we can make things right or help you through the cancellation process.

1-866-282-3436"

http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=GCT_Support&template=account&sub_template=s...

"Thinking of leaving?

Please contact us at 1-888-481-3436 Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m."

It is so clear what Fido is doing: suggest/hint/make the customers believe that the only way the cancellation can happen is through the phone line, force the leaving customers to go through the same process every other insignificant nuisance phone call needs to go through. The half-an-hour or one-hour wait time for sure will make the leaving customers rethink their choices. After all, it's just some money right? Of course it is not worthy fighting for it, and I should just let Fido suck me dry. Not like it's hurting too much yet. 

Then when occasionally people are sooo fed up with it, Fido employs people like you (no offence intended) to show to the world, "hey, we have tons of channels for 'support'!!! we have everything ready for you and we care about our customers!!! too bad you cannot find it. you should have looked harder."

Sorry, but this is just stupid and shady.