Internet speed - Fido vs. Rogers

colcat
I'm a Participant Level 2

I am about to pull the plug on Rogers, moving cell phones and internet to Fido. (Also going to drop Rogers cable for antenna & streaming device AND switch Bell home phone to Fido - yaye me! No more Rogers or Bell!)

But before I do...I'm wondering about internet speeds. I currently have Rogers Hybrid Fibre plan with 60Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Fido's speeds are half of that, 30/5. Everything I read is that 30/5 is perfectly fine but if I'm used to 60/10 will I really feel the decrease in speed? It seems logical that I would. Is this enough reason to stay with Rogers for internet?

I'm also hearing that Fido's wifi modem/network doesn't work so well with older devices (iPhone 4 & 4S, MBP early 2011), thus requiring an additional device. Is this problematic/complicated?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

*** Edited to add labels *** 

5 REPLIES 5
FidoClaudia

Hey @colcat,

Welcome to our Community, we'd love to have you with us! Smiley

How the Internet's speed will impact you has a lot to do with how you use your Internet connexion.

What kind of usage to you usually do? Also, what older device are you planning to connect to the modem?

colcat
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi Claudia. Thanks for your response. Our heaviest internet use is streaming video. 

The older devices are mentioned in my original post: 2 iphones (4 & 4S) and an early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hey @colcat,

If your heaviest usage is streaming videos, you should have no problem using our Internet speeds.

As for your older devices, I haven't heard of any issues so far when connected to our modem.

@Community, anyone wants to share their experience?

Hi,

It seems now is a great time to get Fido Internet as there is a limited time offer for the same speeds you mentioned:

https://www.fido.ca/pages/#/internet

Smiley

Thanks @FidoLoren! Sharing is caring! Wink