International roaming charge

I'm a Participant Level 1 zzcat
I'm a Participant Level 1

International roaming charge

Traveling to Europe quite often and once I'm at my location where they offer free wifi 

I turn on my phone for a few minutes get fido "welcome to international network"

then need to access hotel free wifi,

I'm automatically getting charged international roaming.

Basically I'm getting charged as soon as I'm opening my phone and have internet roam  

for 24hrs, can this be avoided?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 11
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

Re: International roaming charge

Hello @zzcat,

Welcome to the community!

You can have Fido put a roam block on your line so when you leave Canada the phone will not try and connect to any available network.

You can also put the phone on airplane mode and when you reach at your destination just turn on WiFi that way the mobile connection will remain off.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 11
I'm a Participant Level 1 Fififufu

I did put airplane mode since I left Toronto at the moment I got on the airplane.

But surprisingly I got an International roaming charge on my bill😡😡

Cant wait to end my fido contract 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 11

Hey @Fififufu,

Welcome to the Community.

I know roaming charges are never pleasant and I'll be happy to look into this with you. We definitely wouldn't want to see you go, we'd love to sort this out and keep you.

Would you be able to let me know if you turned the airplane mode OFF at any time during your trip, even if it was for a very short period of time or by accident? Did anyone else have access to your device during that time?

The reason I ask is that if a device doesn't actually connect to the roaming partner's network, there is no way for us to charge you. The usage is tracked through your SIM card, therefore if the system doesn't detect your SIM card being connected to another network, no charge can apply.

Let me know and we'll take it from there.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 11

Hey @Fififufu!

We haven't heard back from you in a while. 

If you still need help with this, don't hesitate to answer FidoClaudia's questions!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 11
I'm a Participant Level 2 Cardero
I'm a Participant Level 2

Sorry, no point defending Fido. It is a well thought roaming trap.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 11
I'm a Participant Level 3 123anderson
I'm a Participant Level 3

I have just had the same problem...see my post on August 1.

Essentially, you get a Roam daily charge when you register on a cell tower in a foreign country.  So if you turn on the phone to update the time or check to see if wifi exists or take a picture.  Seems absolutely ridiculous that this triggers a charge instead of actually using my home plan (to send a text, make/recieve a phone call, use data).  The website is very misleading as it talks about turning on data roaming to use your plan...in fact, you have incurred the charge as soon as your phone is turned on and registers on a network tower.

Ask Fido to reverse the charges if you didn't use anything from your home plan...they did that for me very quickly so I am guessing we aren't the only ones complaining about this.

We have opted out of Roam...this way, I can receive texts and register on foreign network without paying the fee (as it always has been).  If I need to use data that day or something like this, I will opt back in to Roam for the day but then opt out the next day.  Unfortunate, Fido makes it so difficult to do what website implies happens automatically...feels like a bit of a scam to me.

I have been with Fido for many years and just committed to another two years but will certainly do more due diligence next time around before committing again.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 11

Hey @123anderson

We've replied to your other post as well. 

It's good to know that registering to the network does not trigger Fido Roam. Only usage does. 

We agree with you that charges for that would not be right. We only bill you for usage you actually make. 

If you'd like us to take a second look at your account and confirm whether this was a glitch let me know, I'll be happy to send you a PM. Smiley 

Cheers! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 11
I'm a Participant Level 1 yyc1

Hi,

I travel a lot as a flight attendant.

Is it possible to ask Fido to block all US and international data roaming automatically so that I don't have to always take out my SIM card when I'm out of Canada? Calling before and after each flight to block/unblock just wouldn't make sense for me... esp with the long waittimes. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 11
MVP
MVP

Hello Yyc1,

Welcome to the community!

In order to block all roaming, you would have to contact customer service to make the request. Alternatively, you might consider sending a moderator (MOD beside their username) a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account details.

Another option rather than blocking all roaming would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode. Enabling Airplane or Flight mode would disable the antennae thereby also preventing roaming on foreign networks. If required, you could then manually enable Wifi.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted

Hey @yyc1

Did you get a chance to contact our customer support team through one of the options found on the page @Cawtau shared? 

Let us know if you'd prefer if we send you a PM from here. I'll be glad to take a closer look into this with you. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 11