International calls

International calls

International calls

SOLVED
andrewlbarber89
I'm a Participant Level 2

International calls

My parents are going on a trip to the states. I am just inquiring about telephone costs if:

a) They call me

b) If I need to call them

Accepted Solution

Re: International calls

Solved by MVP MVP

Will they be using a Fido phone on the trip?

If they call you it will be just as if someone call you locally. If you have unlimited incoming then you wont be charged but if you have an allotted amount of minutes per month then it will just use those minutes.

If they have a Fido phone or any Canadian carrier phone and you call them you will not be charged.

The only person that will be charged is your parents for roaming and the fee depends. You can add a travel pack and you can get different options here.

Without any travel pack addons Fido charges $1.45 per minute for calls while romaning in the US.

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@andrewlbarber89 wrote:

My parents are going on a trip to the states. I am just inquiring about telephone costs if:

a) They call me

b) If I need to call them

Hello Andrewlbarber89,

Welcome to the forums!

From a slightly different perspective than @KAPABLE-K:

If your parents use their phone in the US, they will get charged roaming fees unless they purchase a travel package. Assuming they do purchase a package, if they use their phone to call a number local to where they are, only the minutes will be deducted from their package. On the other hand, if they called you while you're in Canada, minutes would be deducted as well as long distance charges. The same would be true if one of your parents called your other parent while in the US (assuming both were using Canadian mobile phones) even though both phones might be in the same city -- the caller: minutes and long distance; the receiver: minutes.

If you called your parents while they are in the US, it would be considered a local call for you. Again, your parents would incur roaming charges unless they purchased a travel package.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey Guys! 

I just wanted to add a little clarification to this thread. Smiley

Long distance charges while roaming now only apply if you place a call to a satellite phone. 

For all other phone calls, placed or received, the rate would only depend on if you take a travel pack or use the service on the pay-per-use rate. 

If you take a travel pack, the usage for your calls would be deducted from your travel pack, and if you use the service on the pay-per-use rate, calls would be billed at $1.45 per minute. 

Also, you won't be charged any extra fees in the case that you need to call someone while they're using their Canadian mobile phone line while roaming outside of Canada. Because you're calling a Canadian phone number, your call will be considered local. 

You can check out this page for more details about roaming in the US.

Hope this helps!

Hello FidoAmandaN,

Sorry, but I'm still trying to get my head around some of these changes...

@FidoAmandaN wrote:

Hey Guys! 

Long distance charges while roaming now only apply if you place a call to a satellite phone. 

There are no long distance charges while roaming (except to satellite)? So if I make a call to Texas from Canada, it would be long distance but if I made that same call from Chicago it wouldn't be considered long distance? Is that correct?

@FidoAmandaN wrote:

Also, you won't be charged any extra fees in the case that you need to call someone while they're using their Canadian mobile phone line while roaming outside of Canada. Because you're calling a Canadian phone number, your call will be considered local. 

I can understand calling from Canada but is the same true calling from outside of Canada?

If I use my mobile in Chicago to call home (in Canada) that's not long distance even though I'm outside of Canada?

Does the same hold true abroad? If I use my mobile in Ireland to call home, is that considered local as well?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated! Smiley

Cheers

Hey Cawtau! 

That's correct; no long distance charges are applied while roaming. The entire call is considered roaming and only charged as such. If you are in Chicago and calling Canada, Texas or even overseas the call will still be considered roaming and not long distance. Additional charges happen if you call a Satelite phone though, it's good to note as well that calls to Toll free numbers are not covered by our travel packs and will be billed at the local provider's rate. 

As for calling a phone that is roaming, you will not be charged unless the number you are calling happens to be a number from outside of your local calling area. If you happen to have unlmited Canadian long distance you'll be covered! 

Here's a good way of thinking about this. If you call your neighbor regularly and you know that it's a local call, though your neighbor happens to travel to Florida without giving you a heads up and you call him on his mobile number. You would not be charged extra for this call as his/her location was out of your control. 

I hope this helps clear this up a bit. Smiley 

Hello FidoPierre,

Thanks for the clarification!

Mind blown! LOL  Just to be sure though, does the same apply roaming overseas? That is, if I were in Ireland and called Canada (or anywhere else), still just roaming?

Cheers

That's right Cawtau!

These same rules apply for International roaming. Smiley 

Hey everyone, 

Just a heads up, something awesome is coming... 

Check it out 

Woohoo!! Fido Roam is here everyone! 

Check it out 

@FidoAmandaN wrote:

For all other phone calls, placed or received, the rate would only depend on if you take a travel pack or use the service on the pay-per-use rate. 

Hello FidoAmandaN,

Interesting, great to know!! Smiley

Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Will they be using a Fido phone on the trip?

If they call you it will be just as if someone call you locally. If you have unlimited incoming then you wont be charged but if you have an allotted amount of minutes per month then it will just use those minutes.

If they have a Fido phone or any Canadian carrier phone and you call them you will not be charged.

The only person that will be charged is your parents for roaming and the fee depends. You can add a travel pack and you can get different options here.

Without any travel pack addons Fido charges $1.45 per minute for calls while romaning in the US.