International SMS

International SMS

International SMS

SOLVED
Sharplash
I'm a Participant Level 2

International SMS

I've looked everywhere on this forum, but haven't found a clear answer.

Let's say my phone number is 778.555.5555 and I travel to Europe. If my friend with the phone number 778.666.6666 sends me a SMS while I am in Europe, who bears the cost of this text message? (I am in Europe and friend is in Vancouver)

It wouldn't make sense for me to get charged to receive an incoming text message because there is nothing I can do to prevent one from coming to me.
On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense for my friend to get charged for sending me a SMS because they would have no idea that I was travelling abroad.

Is it my obligation to notify all my friends not to text me so prior to leaving for my trip so that they dont get charged if they happen to text me? Doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance.

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: International SMS

Solved by I'm a Contributor Level 1 Nighteyes

Your assumptions are correct. Fido never charges for incoming text messages, even while roaming in a different country.

Your friend would also not be charged for sending you the text message since he is texting a Canadian phone number (which is most likely covered in his phone plan).

If you plan to use your phone only for receiving text messages, make sure you disable cellular data to avoid being charged for automatic data use. If you do plan to use your phone otherwise, buy a travel pack through your account on your phone or call 611 for customer service.

View solution in context
9 REPLIES 9
Nighteyes
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Your assumptions are correct. Fido never charges for incoming text messages, even while roaming in a different country.

Your friend would also not be charged for sending you the text message since he is texting a Canadian phone number (which is most likely covered in his phone plan).

If you plan to use your phone only for receiving text messages, make sure you disable cellular data to avoid being charged for automatic data use. If you do plan to use your phone otherwise, buy a travel pack through your account on your phone or call 611 for customer service.

b_phone
I'm a Participant Level 1

I was really glad to find this information here easily.

With MMS is it a different story?

"Picture and Video Messaging (MMS) is rated at 50¢ CAD per message sent plus data transmission charges for both sent and received messages. This rate applies to all zones."

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/FidoOptions?forwardTo=internationalRoamingInfo

Hey b_phone! 

Are you asking if incoming MMS isn't charged? (same as sms?)

If you are, rest assured that both incoming MMS and SMS is not charged Smiley That said; if you have data turned off, you won't be able to receive or send MMS.

Let me know if you have any questions!

@FidoSamantha wrote:

Hey b_phone! 

Are you asking if incoming MMS isn't charged? (same as sms?)

If you are, rest assured that both incoming MMS and SMS is not charged Smiley That said; if you have data turned off, you won't be able to receive or send MMS.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hello FidoSamantha,

Could you please clarify? You mean that there is no 50¢ charge for the recipient of the MMS. However, my understanding of 'data transmission charges for both sent and received messages' means that the recipient would incur roaming data charges. So bottom line, the recipient will end up paying some amount for an MMS. Is that not the case?

To further this inquiry, assuming the recipient is charged for roaming data, turning off data would not incur a charge for the MMS notification. However, subsequently choosing to turn on data and therefore downloading the picture would be charged for roaming data. Is that correct?

Cheers

Sorry for the confusion! 

It's 50 ¢ per MMS sent while roaming. You'll also be billed for data whether you receive or send an MMS; the rate varies depending on your travel pack, or the pay per use rate if you don't have one. 

If you disable your data roaming, you won't be able to send/receive an MMS, so of course, there's no charge. On the other hand, if your data is enabled, as soon as you receive the MMS, you'll automatically be billed for data roaming.

Hope it answers your question!

I'm a Participant Level 1

I m going out side canada I want recive SMS there what I need that service

@22222222 wrote:

Hello 22222222,

You do not need to configure your phone to recieve SMS, it is already built to do that.  As far as your services go, it is already included in your plan to recieve SMS.  If you are experiencing technical difficulties it would be best to have the issue troubleshooted before you leave.  You can contact Fido on their Facebook page or Twitter.

22222222 wrote:

Hi 22222222,

Incoming text messages from other mobile phone numbers are free and unlimited, even while roaming. The pay per use rate for an outgoing text message while roaming is $0.75 per message. Click here to see our roaming options.

Sharplash
I'm a Participant Level 2

Great, thanks for the answer!