International Roaming

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

International Roaming

International Roaming

maynard
I'm a Participant Level 1

International Roaming

I disabled data roaming on my Moto X, intending just to enable it on those specific days that I want to pay the extra Pulse per-diem. Nevertheless, I still have a small R for roaming symbol up in my icons.  Am I incurring charges I should not be? 

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@maynard wrote:

I disabled data roaming on my Moto X, intending just to enable it on those specific days that I want to pay the extra Pulse per-diem. Nevertheless, I still have a small R for roaming symbol up in my icons.  Am I incurring charges I should not be? 

Hello Maynard,

Welcome to the community!

Do you have a plan with Fido Roam or need travel pack or pay-per-use? Do you intend on using your phone for voice calls and/or SMS/MMS? Google removed the ability to disable roaming in Lollipop and later. You used to be able to enable/disable roaming separate from data roaming. With Lollipop and later, disabling data roaming will not prevent the phone from roaming on other networks for voice calls and SMS -- the reason you still see the roaming symbol. 

Are you incurring charges? That depends on how you're handling calls. Obviously, if you make a call or send SMS/MMS, you'll be incurring roaming charges. There should be no charges for receiving SMS (the content within a MMS would be considered roaming data).

With regards to receiving calls... If your phone receives a call and you decline it (ie send to voicemail), you will incur roaming charges. The call reached your phone and got forwarded to voicemail from a foreign network. On the other hand, if your phone is unreachable (ie phone is off or airplane mode or let it ring out), then you will not incur roaming charges since the call gets forwarded to voicemail from the Fido network.

If you don't intend on using the phone for calls and or SMS, you might consider enabling airplane mode. That will prevent your phone from roaming. You will still be able to enable Wifi with airplane mode enabled.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@maynard If you disable your data while roaming you can still see a roaming icon because you are still getting reception for your calls and you are roaming, as long as your data is set to turn off while roaming you will not be charged for data roaming.