Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information on wireless service interruption - April 19 2021

FidoStephen
Community Manager
Community Manager
UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, you won't be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

UPDATE 4/19 11:59 PM EDT
Wireless calls, SMS and data services are now restored for the vast majority of our customers. A small number of services with other carriers are continuing to come back online.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused and thank you for your patience.

UPDATE 4/19 7:41 PM EDT
Fido wireless calls, SMS & data services are starting to return to normal for our customers. It will take several more hours for all customers and regions to return to full service. We will continue to work around the clock with our network partner Ericsson until that happens.

UPDATE 4/19 5:54 PM EDT 
We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

***If your services are still not restored, you can try restarting your phone or turning airplane mode on/off***

476 REPLIES 476

hdran
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi Fido Stephen - I've been a Fido customer since May 2015.

I've had zero issues with Fido until this outage. I think it's rediculous to simply offer a one day credit. It's not a one day credit your customers want; it's reliable service. I think offering a one day credit is an insult - its worth tremendously less than the phone calls, texts and data communication we had to make but could not. You should be offering a one month credit. 

That one phone call, text or email that we (as customers) could not make is priceless, and certainly worth more than a mere one day credit.

And so, I'd like a one month credit added to my account.

If this is not possible, I'll simply switch to one of the other carriers that had service during your/Rogers' outage.

Regards,

A loyal (for now) Fido customer

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @hdran!

We know staying connected is crucial to our customers and that you depend on us to do so. We understand we let you down with what happened and we really are sorry.

On our end, we have taken measures to identify the root cause of what happened and we've put measures in place to avoid it from happening again. 

That said, as per our terms, service interruptions are not something we can provide compensation for. As many users were affected and we know how inconvenient it was, we have decided to credit everyone for the day. This would really be the maximum we can apply though.

We do hope that information helps out. 

HC3
I'm a Participant Level 2

Almost all  of my calls were dropped after a minute for a week after the service disruption.   This is unacceptable.  We should all be reimbursed or credited for the whole week not just one day.  The disruption aftected my work and more importantly my connection to my elderly parents.  This was extremely stressful during this Covid time

HC3

I'm getting a little tired of my calls being dropped.   This has been going on since April 19.  When I spoke to a service representative, she advised that some areas are still experiencing issues.   Has anyone else in Ontario experienced this problem sine the aApril 19th issue.   

Hey @HC3

I moved your post, you will find all the details about the latest outage here. 

majotrapriya26

It's been more than a week I have submitted my request. They keep extending my case. I called them several times they said to call next day as nothing has been updated yet. If I ask them why they simply put me on hold and cut my call every time. This is very unprofessional. I have no phone right now because of this and my usual work tasks are jeopardised because of this.

Hello @majotraprya26

Our support team is always working to resolve cases as soon as possible. Some situations may require additional information and sometimes take longer than usual. We do appreciat your undertanding and patience.

For assistance, you can find all the ways to reach us here.

If it's best for you, we can send you a PM on the Community as well to review the case.

Tony3107

wow just giving us credit for the day it was down lol what a joke when im late a day on my payment i get charged $35.00 some how dont add up

Client1222

It is ridiculous after Fido losing the confidence and trust of their service, their response is they will not charge for this particular day.

It is telling their customers how cheap the trustworthy to this company can be.

Rigger0716

The compensation is 1 day off of my bill? I had to miss a $500 work day because of mistakes that were made on YOUR end. Among countless others that had to take a days loss on wages due to YOUR technical errors.

And all we get compensated is 1 days worth of service?

Bell is gonna have a field day with all the new customers.

JayRob

I want to know how fido s goin to compensate for yeaterdays gong show , i see online Rogers is discounting 1 days servixe since they failed , 1 day s worth of servixe doesnt make a drop in the bucket of what i lost hanks to them an is a jk

mwong37

I have had no cellular service since yesterday April 19.

Today is April 20th at 4pm PST, i have tried restarting my phone for almost 20 times since yesterday. Changed to flight mode, try to reset my network settings and have tried taking my SIM card out. Nothing works.

I have no phone to call into your customer service center. Please advise what else I could do. 

mwong37

I figured it out. 

I went to one of the Fido booths in the end yesterday.

Your service agent at the booth was very nice and knowledgeable.  I told him what i've done already about resetting the network, changing it to filght mode, taking the Sim card out etc..

He realized that the phone was not detecting the Sim card when it is taken or even placed back in, and made sure the SIM card was working properly.

He said he has seen this before from the last software update which caused a similar issue for multiple users. Told me the last resort was for me to do a factor reset, and if that fails, i need a new phone.

The factor reset resolved the issue. 

Thanks for ignoring me btw!  

Jason1978

I havent had any data since yesterday morning.  Any idea what to do????

uzernamez

Fido ASKJACK - Live Chat is not working, support line is out of reach. My phone is dow for second day. Is anyone available form Fido to help???

FidoStephen
Community Manager
Community Manager
UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

PaisleyChief

Ok now it's the 21st and service is still down! Still can't text! Yet there's no recognition by Fido! Please fix this!!!! And I hope my bill will reflect this outage!

@PaisleyChief Have you tried rebooting your phone to see if that will restore service? 

PaisleyChief

of course! Many times! It's not just me! I know at least 4 other people having the same issue. Also if you Google Fido outages, all of southern Ontario is still having issues. Please post on your website that the issues are not fixed and that we won't pay for service Mon, Tues or today!

PaisleyChief

Texts still not working!