Information on wireless service interruption - April 19 2021

SOLVED
FidoStephen
Community Manager

UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, you won't be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

UPDATE 4/19 11:59 PM EDT
Wireless calls, SMS and data services are now restored for the vast majority of our customers. A small number of services with other carriers are continuing to come back online.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused and thank you for your patience.

UPDATE 4/19 7:41 PM EDT
Fido wireless calls, SMS & data services are starting to return to normal for our customers. It will take several more hours for all customers and regions to return to full service. We will continue to work around the clock with our network partner Ericsson until that happens.

UPDATE 4/19 5:54 PM EDT 
We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

***If your services are still not restored, you can try restarting your phone or turning airplane mode on/off***

Accepted Solution

Re: [UPDATED] ⚠ SERVICE INTERRUPTION - APRIL 19 2021

Solved by Community Manager

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

View solution in context
476 REPLIES 476
mwong37
I'm a Participant Level 2

I figured it out. 

I went to one of the Fido booths in the end yesterday.

Your service agent at the booth was very nice and knowledgeable.  I told him what i've done already about resetting the network, changing it to filght mode, taking the Sim card out etc..

He realized that the phone was not detecting the Sim card when it is taken or even placed back in, and made sure the SIM card was working properly.

He said he has seen this before from the last software update which caused a similar issue for multiple users. Told me the last resort was for me to do a factor reset, and if that fails, i need a new phone.

The factor reset resolved the issue. 

Thanks for ignoring me btw!  

Abu5
I'm a Participant Level 1

Fido, I need compensation for the disappointing and frustrating experience I endured yesterday. My car won't start outside but then I couldn't reach CAA for assistance because I found out that my Fido service wasn't working. Therefore, I needed to get an uber ride which is impossible when data is also not working. Can't reach anyone else for help either. God knows how many important calls I missed for work or other appointments. Not happy at all!

Wal

Fido charged me $ 10.00 for using 0.0001 extra data, really nothing. Yesterday, April 20, Fido had issues and didn`t provide data for the whole day. I wonder how much it will be discounted on my bill. 

Qamar

All the Mobile service are off Since 8am April 19 (Calgary Area). should we get our money back for not having services including the penalty as everyone is disturbed by this extra long interruption?

Willa912

I think we deserve some compensation for what happened today. Does anyone agree? 

Qamar

all will be agree but how you make Rogers/Fido agree on compensation?

ajays369

Fido Rogers,... imagine a person driving on an highway from one city to another without Internet/phone/ text service.
People across the world have have different picture about canada. Most of them assume that canada is a high tech country. I too assumed the same until today. I am sorry but your network and service spoiled canada image.

Jason1978

I havent had any data since yesterday morning.  Any idea what to do????

beekind

This national outage requires increased communication. Planned updates every 2 hours maybe? Let us know whats going on. Tell us WHEN you will update next. Challenge to upgrade on transparancy...

msbinondo

I have contacted FIDO today due to the service outage. As I could not call nor text anyone, all I was able to do is to chat with an agent, who took an hour to let me know that the only thing he can do for me is to refund me 3.20$ for the "inconvenience today, as it did not happen yesterday or tomorrow."

3.20$ refund offered to a customer who has been loyal and has been with FIDO for 8 years...Truly pathetic and ridiculous. I want to pay for a service that is reliable and that works!

I will definitely be contacting the Bureau of Consumer Protection and Telecom Consumers Protection as this is only one of the many times that this has happened with FIDO over 8 years.

Also, I will for sure be looking to bring my business elsewhere. 

So disappointing!

jovanm
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Statement from the Community Manager:

We sincerely apologize to our customers.

Especially during these times, we know connectivity is critical and are working hard to restore services for customers who continue to experience wireless interruptions. Residential wireline internet services are not impacted. We will continue to provide regular updates on this thread.

uzernamez

Fido ASKJACK - Live Chat is not working, support line is out of reach. My phone is dow for second day. Is anyone available form Fido to help???

FidoStephen
Community Manager

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

PaisleyChief

Ok now it's the 21st and service is still down! Still can't text! Yet there's no recognition by Fido! Please fix this!!!! And I hope my bill will reflect this outage!

@PaisleyChief Have you tried rebooting your phone to see if that will restore service? 

PaisleyChief

of course! Many times! It's not just me! I know at least 4 other people having the same issue. Also if you Google Fido outages, all of southern Ontario is still having issues. Please post on your website that the issues are not fixed and that we won't pay for service Mon, Tues or today!

88sr

Any one had any idea when this  mobile network issue is going to be resolve or any letest feed back please 

PaisleyChief

Texts still not working!

Bimmercando

Wife's phone ( older iphone ) and service is fine.  My newer Android without texts/data but calls okay.

No surprise.  

Nazanin310

Hi, my Fido reception as well as my husband's are down since early this morning. It's been at least 3 hours now that we have no phone or txt access.  This has been severely inconvenient for our weekday morning business transactions.  Please restore or compensate asap!!

mpikal

No service, why do I have to pay for service that does not work? Will I be compensated?