Information on wireless service interruption - April 19 2021

SOLVED
FidoStephen
Community Manager

UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, you won't be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

UPDATE 4/19 11:59 PM EDT
Wireless calls, SMS and data services are now restored for the vast majority of our customers. A small number of services with other carriers are continuing to come back online.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused and thank you for your patience.

UPDATE 4/19 7:41 PM EDT
Fido wireless calls, SMS & data services are starting to return to normal for our customers. It will take several more hours for all customers and regions to return to full service. We will continue to work around the clock with our network partner Ericsson until that happens.

UPDATE 4/19 5:54 PM EDT 
We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

***If your services are still not restored, you can try restarting your phone or turning airplane mode on/off***

Accepted Solution

Re: [UPDATED] ⚠ SERVICE INTERRUPTION - APRIL 19 2021

Solved by Community Manager
UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

View solution in context
476 REPLIES 476
Cla8n
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hello Alex

I'm going to continue to complain to Fido. I urge you do the same. If enough of us victims speak up, they will listen and take responsibility for their actions. 
Undoubtedly they are relying on a typical Canadian response to these situations, we politely suffer the consequences thinking there is no use in trying. 
NOT THIS TIME!

DeBringer

+100. Got the same issues and problems and already directly lost ~200 CAD and visit to my dentist( he was not able to call or message me). Just wondering who's gonna compensate it. 😠

Cla8n

Hello DeBringer

I'm going to continue to complain to Fido. I urge you do the same. If enough of us victims speak up, they will listen and take responsibility for their actions. 
Undoubtedly they are relying on a typical Canadian response to these situations, we politely suffer the consequences thinking there is no use in trying. 
NOT THIS TIME!

T87812
I'm a Participant Level 2

This outage has caused thousands of people major issues including the police departments. Since I keep reading "there's no way to know how many were effected" I thought I'd add my name to the list by making a post

T_J_C

Just got full service back. Had to restart my phone before everything started working again. Hopefully everyone is up soon.😉

She
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello

my wireless data and call are working but is still able to receive or send sms messages. Anyone experiencing same?

kleopatra

seriously!!!!   waiitng all day

zsy6504

yeah this is annoying af.

Especially when you need text messages to do a 2 factor authentication before you can login some of your accounts.

I still can't receive any text messages🙃

Dyibiko

I was not able to work because because my phone has no services all day!🤬:pouting_face:

Ljeby

My texting isn't working on my iPhone 8. I have a signal and can call and receive calls but no texting. 

kleopatra

me too, arghhhhh

cssscott

I'm in the same boat.  Nice to know that it's just not me.  Hopefully, they get that sorted quickly........I mean, who actually makes phone calls anymore?

Tsunny

17:17pm still no service

More than 12 hours now 

So sad

kleopatra

seriously!!!!  everytime I text it says failed 

rikiorikio

i still cant text poeple

Namwen

Funny though. Fido says problem.started wjen installing a software update from a part with its own software from another company.

Isnt that exactly how the massive hack of all USA government and businesses happened just last fall? 

Kuribo

The Solarwinds hack is very well written code that runs smoothly and stealthily, not causing system-wide outages like this. If only the code that caused this outage were of that excellent quality...

LadyHeather

My data on my tablet is working. But... STILL CAN'T call out on my cell phone.  I know they're trying to fix this & FINALLY updated us on how & what caused this... but I want to be able to call & text out on my cell... & receive calls & texts on my cell very soon! 😞

Namwen

Im in Nanaimo BC. By 12 AM or so Ive been continueing to have ongoing issues.

I intermittently get a mixed bag of networks when ai search for them.manually in settings.....  Sometimes no networks, then 2. Then 6. Then 3. Mostly all multiples of fido or fido ext Once I got Telus. Im in same spot for hours. First text and talk worked but no data. Then no talk only text. Now nothing.

Heres the thing. My phone sees signals. Sees them as fido. It just wont connect. Status stays in ...connecting... to the network but never does.

Then my wifi interestingly lost its password in the phone. Totally reset it like it never had one. Why would that be affect by a mobile connectivity issue? 

Its now 5 pm pacific time. 3 bars showing. Usually get 5. But even so it still wont connect to Fido network though it registers onto it.

Right now no data no talk no text 5pm April 19th 2021

Lily_daPink

My Fido password reset itself

callie12

My fido home phone is not working either..I have 4 different phones- my cell, my sister's cell, my home phone and my sisters home phone (@ another address) - none of these have worked at all today