Information on wireless service interruption - April 19 2021

SOLVED
FidoStephen
Community Manager

UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, you won't be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

UPDATE 4/19 11:59 PM EDT
Wireless calls, SMS and data services are now restored for the vast majority of our customers. A small number of services with other carriers are continuing to come back online.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused and thank you for your patience.

UPDATE 4/19 7:41 PM EDT
Fido wireless calls, SMS & data services are starting to return to normal for our customers. It will take several more hours for all customers and regions to return to full service. We will continue to work around the clock with our network partner Ericsson until that happens.

UPDATE 4/19 5:54 PM EDT 
We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

***If your services are still not restored, you can try restarting your phone or turning airplane mode on/off***

Accepted Solution

Re: [UPDATED] ⚠ SERVICE INTERRUPTION - APRIL 19 2021

Solved by Community Manager
UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

View solution in context
476 REPLIES 476
hdran
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi Fido Stephen - I've been a Fido customer since May 2015.

I've had zero issues with Fido until this outage. I think it's rediculous to simply offer a one day credit. It's not a one day credit your customers want; it's reliable service. I think offering a one day credit is an insult - its worth tremendously less than the phone calls, texts and data communication we had to make but could not. You should be offering a one month credit. 

That one phone call, text or email that we (as customers) could not make is priceless, and certainly worth more than a mere one day credit.

And so, I'd like a one month credit added to my account.

If this is not possible, I'll simply switch to one of the other carriers that had service during your/Rogers' outage.

Regards,

A loyal (for now) Fido customer

Hey @hdran!

We know staying connected is crucial to our customers and that you depend on us to do so. We understand we let you down with what happened and we really are sorry.

On our end, we have taken measures to identify the root cause of what happened and we've put measures in place to avoid it from happening again. 

That said, as per our terms, service interruptions are not something we can provide compensation for. As many users were affected and we know how inconvenient it was, we have decided to credit everyone for the day. This would really be the maximum we can apply though.

We do hope that information helps out. 

HC3
I'm a Participant Level 2

Almost all  of my calls were dropped after a minute for a week after the service disruption.   This is unacceptable.  We should all be reimbursed or credited for the whole week not just one day.  The disruption aftected my work and more importantly my connection to my elderly parents.  This was extremely stressful during this Covid time

HC3

I'm getting a little tired of my calls being dropped.   This has been going on since April 19.  When I spoke to a service representative, she advised that some areas are still experiencing issues.   Has anyone else in Ontario experienced this problem sine the aApril 19th issue.   

Hey @HC3

I moved your post, you will find all the details about the latest outage here. 

majotrapriya26

It's been more than a week I have submitted my request. They keep extending my case. I called them several times they said to call next day as nothing has been updated yet. If I ask them why they simply put me on hold and cut my call every time. This is very unprofessional. I have no phone right now because of this and my usual work tasks are jeopardised because of this.

Hello @majotraprya26

Our support team is always working to resolve cases as soon as possible. Some situations may require additional information and sometimes take longer than usual. We do appreciat your undertanding and patience.

For assistance, you can find all the ways to reach us here.

If it's best for you, we can send you a PM on the Community as well to review the case.

megaplex23

I am without any Fido service in Shelburne, Ontario. Since about 4:45 am

I’m from Hamilton, Ontario and my cell phone started acting up intermittently around 12:00am last night. This is similar to what most people are reporting right now.

Defiantly is not a device issue especially when multiple people are reporting the same thing. I have a perfect condition IPhone 11 Pro Max that I pay $140.00+ per month for on my plan. I rely on this heavily for work and communication during these times with Covid happening.

This is absolutely ridiculous! As soon as Customer Service opened at 8:00am I called from my home phone and have been on Hold ever since for 1 hour from my Bell Landline.

No Data, No incoming or outgoing calls, can’t call *611 for customer service... nothing.

Stopped by my parent house after my night shift to see if my mothers cell phone was working as she’s with Fido and has an older IPhone. Nothing, hers is dead as well.

** New update: After one hour on Hold I finally got ahold of someone. They said there’s a CANADA WIDE OUTAGE. Technical support knows about it and they have no other information on when it will be fixed**

jd1965

dont feel bad . i am in the same boat since 5am.  and its now 909am and on hold for over an hr. still no response. i cant believe they do not have 24/hr tech support !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony3107

wow just giving us credit for the day it was down lol what a joke when im late a day on my payment i get charged $35.00 some how dont add up

Frustrated52

Unfortunately the service and support from fido just keeps going downhill.

The network goes down nationwide and we all get an apology?

maybe offer a discount for the period services were unavailable. Why do we have to pay for a service we were not able to use? 
From reading several posts quite obviously the disruption caused a lot of issues for several customers. A gesture of a discount may go a long way in de escalating the issue but instead we get a hollow apology. That being said I'm sure there wi be a number of customers in and voicing their displeasure at which time a token gesture of some extra free data will be made.

That would be the wrong approach because most people don't have time to sit on hold and then chat with someone who is actually not responsible for the incident that has little power to do anything.

Perhaps you might try being proactive. that would go a long way in making your customers feel appreciated.

Unfortunately this is not the only issue I've experienced with fido. Quite frequently the app seems to be either completely down or incomplete in its information provided such as remaining data and amount remaining owed on device.

I also get offers that seem completely oblivious to my account.

for instance it will say, based on your usage we recommend this plan with more data despite the fact I don't even use half my data in addition it offers me plans with less data for more money. How does that make any sense at all?

It seems quite apparent fido prioritizes getting in new customers with better deals than concentrating very much at all on retention and looking after long term customers. 
Seemingly  oblivious to the fact those customers can be easily lured by another carrier for better deals and the new customer treatment.

So in a nutshell someone that has spent potentially thousands of dollars with fido over time quite often is not eligible to receive the same deal as someone that is yet to spend a dime. 
A further slap in the face is the offer of $50 to bring fido a new customer so they can offer that person a better deal than they are prepared to give you.

I think that's called a backhanded gesture.

Time to head for the door.

Client1222

It is ridiculous after Fido losing the confidence and trust of their service, their response is they will not charge for this particular day.

It is telling their customers how cheap the trustworthy to this company can be.

Kianna

When is this going to be fixed? I get it's down but a time frame would be nice 

Rigger0716

The compensation is 1 day off of my bill? I had to miss a $500 work day because of mistakes that were made on YOUR end. Among countless others that had to take a days loss on wages due to YOUR technical errors.

And all we get compensated is 1 days worth of service?

Bell is gonna have a field day with all the new customers.

adcosta

LOL I better not have to pay for today! This really ridiculous 

007spooky
I'm a Participant Level 3

it's been a full day that my phone is not working.... My phone is my livelyhood . WHI IS GOING TO COMPENSATE ME FOR MY LOSSES . 

Conlyn

No phone service in AB??? Cant work!

JayRob

I want to know how fido s goin to compensate for yeaterdays gong show , i see online Rogers is discounting 1 days servixe since they failed , 1 day s worth of servixe doesnt make a drop in the bucket of what i lost hanks to them an is a jk

mwong37

I have had no cellular service since yesterday April 19.

Today is April 20th at 4pm PST, i have tried restarting my phone for almost 20 times since yesterday. Changed to flight mode, try to reset my network settings and have tried taking my SIM card out. Nothing works.

I have no phone to call into your customer service center. Please advise what else I could do.