Information on wireless service interruption - April 19 2021

SOLVED
FidoStephen
Community Manager

UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, you won't be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

UPDATE 4/19 11:59 PM EDT
Wireless calls, SMS and data services are now restored for the vast majority of our customers. A small number of services with other carriers are continuing to come back online.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused and thank you for your patience.

UPDATE 4/19 7:41 PM EDT
Fido wireless calls, SMS & data services are starting to return to normal for our customers. It will take several more hours for all customers and regions to return to full service. We will continue to work around the clock with our network partner Ericsson until that happens.

UPDATE 4/19 5:54 PM EDT 
We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

***If your services are still not restored, you can try restarting your phone or turning airplane mode on/off***

Accepted Solution

Re: [UPDATED] ⚠ SERVICE INTERRUPTION - APRIL 19 2021

Solved by Community Manager
UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

View solution in context
476 REPLIES 476
kkassamcanada
I'm a Participant Level 1

No Service in my area ... Can you please let us know when it will be available ?

jovanm
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@kkassamcanada 

Statement from the Community Manager:

We sincerely apologize to our customers.

Especially during these times, we know connectivity is critical and are working hard to restore services for customers who continue to experience wireless interruptions. Residential wireline internet services are not impacted. We will continue to provide regular updates on this thread.

Lotus1

Can i get text message or other method for update on issues of wireless service on my phone. I have to use other's phone for call. How long this no fido service on phone will last ??

jovanm

@Lotus1 

Especially during these times, we know connectivity is critical and are working hard to restore services for customers who continue to experience wireless interruptions. Residential wireline internet services are not impacted. We will continue to provide regular updates on this thread.

GiGi101

Hey guys,

any news? Any idea when we'll be able to use our phone again?

yhanks 

jovanm

@GiGi101 

CristinaCristea

I am in Calgary and my phone is not alawing me to call or take calls. Is there an approximate time for when we should expect this outage to be resolved?

jovanm

@CristinaCristea 

Ezzatonian
I'm a Participant Level 2

My phones are down and says not registered to a network or anything been down for a long time now.No contact from fido, nothing anywhere to let us know whats going on!! WTF Fido...happening all across Canada. Just the start I am guessing.

francineskf

Same here...Is it a general issue or something ?

Ezzatonian

Not sure apparently its happening all across canada for Fido/Rogers but they should have some sort of back up plan...apparently they don't...time for a new provider it seems.

Masonia
I'm a Participant Level 3

What is going on with the connection and how long is it anticipated to be out?? Will your customers be given a credit to our accounts for this insanely unacceptable amount of frustration this is causing? You are an essential service. You need to be reliable. We deserve an explaination and know there is a backup plan for this to never happen again.

jovanm

@Masonia 

mayankgupta123

I am facing this network interruption. I am having my exam tomorrow and it requires 2 step verification. How will I give my exam.

Please help

jovanm

@mayankgupta123 

Qamar

All the Mobile service are off Since 8am April 19. should we get our money back for not having services including the penalty as everyone is disturbed by this extra long interruption?

Jennifernoel132

should I call fido, I've tried everything and nothing is working please help it's maddening. 

kleopatra

seriously!!!!   waiitng all day

zsy6504

yeah this is annoying af.

Especially when you need text messages to do a 2 factor authentication before you can login some of your accounts.

I still can't receive any text messages🙃

Ashley_s15

hi my phone still has no network. So unless I'm on wifi I'm hooped. Are some phones still down ? In surrey, BC and rely on my phone as I work from home! 

mp81

Hello,

Please open our eyes. company like FIDO are robbing us. They take bill money on time and make you pay insane amount of panelty if you have not paid any bill or overused your data. And when it comes to provide service , it is not even near to good enough. Every other morning you are not able to contact someone .