Information on wireless service interruption - April 19 2021

SOLVED
FidoStephen
Community Manager

UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, you won't be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

UPDATE 4/19 11:59 PM EDT
Wireless calls, SMS and data services are now restored for the vast majority of our customers. A small number of services with other carriers are continuing to come back online.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused and thank you for your patience.

UPDATE 4/19 7:41 PM EDT
Fido wireless calls, SMS & data services are starting to return to normal for our customers. It will take several more hours for all customers and regions to return to full service. We will continue to work around the clock with our network partner Ericsson until that happens.

UPDATE 4/19 5:54 PM EDT 
We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

***If your services are still not restored, you can try restarting your phone or turning airplane mode on/off***

Accepted Solution

Re: [UPDATED] ⚠ SERVICE INTERRUPTION - APRIL 19 2021

Solved by Community Manager
UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

View solution in context
476 REPLIES 476
Gangral137
I'm a Participant Level 1

Fido, give us any comments, please.

We got into a pretty bad situation today with no phone coverage for me and my wife.

What's the status?

test001
I'm a Participant Level 3

Can't make any calls and no data. Can't reach support. Service down since April 19 midnight.

What is the compensation for this downtime?

LadyHeather

Oh.. I WILL be requesting compensation for this!! I so agree with you!! 

gudlee

Same here; 3 phones/accounts affected.  Not impressed at the lack of detail either.  You can check status and report in the Fido mobile app (Support, Networkland), if that helps anyone at all.  They give you the option to get a text or email when service is restored.  Doesn't tell you much at the moment though ... just what @nexus2012 already said.

@Fido, seriously?  I work in IT ... extended outages happen, but you never just tell your customers "sorry for the inconvenience" and leave it at that for crying out loud.  We need to have some idea of what to expect so we can make alternate arrangements if necessary; after all it's not like we pay what we do just so we can call Grandma on Sundays ... we have lives and businesses to look after 24/7.  Provide an ETA please.  If you don't have one, then just say so and follow up with updates when you have them.  You can do much better.

nexus2012
I'm a Participant Level 2

First off the little blurbs saying "some" customers having issues when it's a general problem is as annoying as not being able to get clear info or any means of communicating with anyone. The one day free service as compensation is laughable. Many will lose $$ and service to an overpriced service we pay for. Still not able to get any info or time of repair after hours of waiting. Meanwhile the heads of these great multimillion corporations have assured bonuses at the end of year. Anyways....

Ehsan4u

No service ... 

un accountable losses in work and issues

jradosav

I do not have any signal since this morning!!! I even cannot call anyone. I tried to message them (by Twitter) but no one have replied!!!! -.-

LadyHeather

I posted on Facebook to anyone trying to call &/or text me, not to bother. I have had a couple of people say theirs are down as well. I hope this is resolved very soon. They better credit us for this! 🤔

Moonchild624

So glad I kept my home phone for emergencies.. this is a big inconvenience and not explaining what is happening is infuriating

LadyHeather

Glad I have my landline as well. 

digibrain

Thanks for sharing this information

lucifer88

absloutely unaccetable i am gonna switch to another netwerk this is **bleep** 

AnP2

It's not your device , I believe the Fido network is down , and they are not telling us when it will work again . 

I’m from Hamilton, Ontario and my cell phone started acting up intermittently around 12:00am last night. This is similar to what most people are reporting right now.

Defiantly is not a device issue especially when multiple people are reporting the same thing. I have a perfect condition IPhone 11 Pro Max that I pay $140.00+ per month for on my plan. I rely on this heavily for work and communication during these times with Covid happening.

This is absolutely ridiculous! As soon as Customer Service opened at 8:00am I called from my home phone and have been on Hold ever since for 1 hour from my Bell Landline.

No Data, No incoming or outgoing calls, can’t call *611 for customer service... nothing.

Stopped by my parent house after my night shift to see if my mothers cell phone was working as she’s with Fido and has an older IPhone. Nothing, hers is dead as well.

** New update: After one hour on Hold I finally got ahold of someone. They said there’s a CANADA WIDE OUTAGE. Technical support knows about it and they have no other information on when it will be fixed**

Troyzerboy

Last Night at about 11:30pm my cell phone service started cutting in and out and it would turn to 3G data but the internet would still work then it would cut out and search for networks again or say no service and when it came back on again the internet didn't work but it still showed the 3G symbol it did this like 20 times by now and it's 6 am the next day my texting works sometimes the calling doesn't work but it's working right now but ya my data services are not working can somebody please enlighten be to what's going on here I moved to a whole different area just to make sure it wasn't just the cell tower but I still have problems 2 km away 

Troy G.